Desert Falcon 7800

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Atarifever1

Desert Falcon 7800

Postby Atarifever1 » May 6th, 2007, 8:32 pm

I'm unclear about one section in the Desert Falcon 7800 review:

[QUOTE=The Videogame Critic]As for the strategy, stopping to hop around on the ground and pick up the symbols really slows down the game. Accidentally walking into an obstacle causes your bird to keel over! In addition, some powers, such as speed, are more problematic than beneficial. [/QUOTE]

With the list of problems with the strategy, it reads as though you think the power-ups shouldn't be problematic.  Is that what you meant?  Because part of the strategy is that some "power ups" are really supposed to hurt you.  You're supposed to learn what combinations to avoid to keep from getting bad powerups.  For example, "Shackles" keeps you from being able to hop and "Polywater" keeps you from swimming.  The manual calls these  "Super Problems" and the good ones "Super Powers".  I can't say for sure, but I think Super Speed is supposed to also be one of the problems.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Desert Falcon 7800

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 6th, 2007, 9:27 pm

I understand how certain icons in some games can have negative effects, by slowing you down or making you sick or whatever.  But I doubt the speed icon in Desert Falcon is intended to be like that.  Actually, the speed up aspect is fine.  It's the fact that when you simply touch anything, you die, and the speed-up just makes that flaw all the more glaring.

Atarifever1

Desert Falcon 7800

Postby Atarifever1 » May 6th, 2007, 10:07 pm

You die when you touch things in a lot of shooters (you do in Zaxxon for instance).  I think what makes it feel so much different in this one is the way you die.  Even if you're walking the animation is this annoying cheesy death (are those stars floating around his head).  I know a bird shouldn't explode, but I'd take a Donkey Kong halo or a puff of smoke or something over the death they put in there.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Desert Falcon 7800

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 6th, 2007, 11:40 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]You die when you touch things in a lot of shooters (you do in Zaxxon for instance).
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but unlike most shooters, in Desert Falcon you can "walk" on the ground.  I can see how flying into something might be fatal, but walking into something?  Not so much.

Funkmaster V

Desert Falcon 7800

Postby Funkmaster V » May 14th, 2007, 3:54 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=Atarifever]You die when you touch things in a lot of shooters (you do in Zaxxon for instance).
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but unlike most shooters, in Desert Falcon you can "walk" on the ground.  I can see how flying into something might be fatal, but walking into something?  Not so much.
[/QUOTE]

Two words: Electrified Pyramids

Funkmaster V

Return to “Review Feedback”