5/8/2007: Xbox 360: Earth Defense Force 2017

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 8th, 2007, 6:42 pm

Oh yeah - this is a good one.  But now, let's hear your take.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » May 8th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Well, I'm glad someone gave this game the respect it deserves.  I have no idea why it has a 71 percent at gamerankings ( a below average score considering 75% seems to the average for most magazines, websites etc.) This game is fantastic and there is nothing out there like it.  I actually read review that said the game was fantastic fun, but they had to give it a low score because it was too arcade like.  What's wrong with these guys?  If a game is fun, it deserves a high score, and this is one of the most fun 3d shooters I have ever played.  And unlike most "arcade like" games, this game has a ton of content with 50 levels, 150 guns, and 5 difficulties.  Its a ton of fun to unlock new guns, and how many games can say they have 150 guns? This is the game Lost Planet should have been, and incredibly overrated game, even by you.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 8th, 2007, 7:42 pm

I will admit, I hadn't even heard of that game (I don't read general modern gaming news anymore and learn about stuff solely through word of mouth and Nintendo Power).  However, when I loaded up the site that time and saw the giant robots I thought "I suppose if I promise to do all the chores forever my fiancee will let me put a 360 on the credit card".

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » May 8th, 2007, 7:59 pm

This is the first game I've seen that really makes me want to get a 360.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 8th, 2007, 8:02 pm

[QUOTE=Edward M] actually read review that said the game was fantastic fun, but they had to give it a low score because it was too arcade like.  What's wrong with these guys?
[/quote]
What's wrong is these guys have forgotten what makes a game good.  Fun is the one and only important factor.  If it's "only" 10 great rip roaring hours of incredible fun, then it should still get a strong grade.  How many other things are ten hours of incredible fun.  If a game looks less than perfect, but is a ton of fun to play, then it should get a good grade.  If a game can't be played online, but is a ton of fun single player or split screen, it should get a good score.  These guys however, have these little checklists of what a "great" game has, and "arcade" is on the negative side of the card and "fun" isn't even on the list.

[quote]
  And unlike most "arcade like" games, this game has a ton of content

[/QUOTE]
All good arcade games have a ton of content; it's just that the content is all in the skill you have to develop.  There's a billion different ways to play a board of "Dig Dug", and as you get really good you constantly find new ones.  That's almost limitless content, it's just not announced when you "unlock" it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 8th, 2007, 10:21 pm

I've had the same frustrating experience as you guys.  I read glowing reviews, and the game description sounds awesome, but it gets a mediocre grade.

I think magazine game reviewers are like sheep.  If one offers a mediocre grade they all follow suit.  None of those guys seem to have any balls.  Even in EGM where you get three views per game, there's never any heated arguments. 

Another part of it may be that the publisher is not big enough to shower the magazines with free games and purchase their high-priced ads.  Remember, those magazines have the best reviews money can buy.

And that's why I run this site.  I see what's happening out there and it stinks.  My reviews may not be the best, but at least I'm not a corporate whore.

Cataclysm1

Postby Cataclysm1 » May 8th, 2007, 10:42 pm

Critic,

I have noticed these game reviewers tend to live and breathe in a group think. They are buddies with other reviewers from other sites and often go drinking together. They would rather be chummy with the developers (many of these reviewers are wannabe game-designers) than with their readers.

Journalism is the only business I know where the customer is always told he is wrong. Many gamers are unhappy with game journalists, but they do not care. It is not so much they don't have balls but that they are obsessed with creating a name for themselves, creating a "personality" like a star. This is why I prefer older journalism where by lines were not included in stories. Who cares what the writer's name is of a site? The reputation of the review will (and should) effect the site, not the individual reviewer.

Game journalists being mostly children from the NES generation also greatly limits them.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 9th, 2007, 8:32 am

Great review Critic.  I have always felt like this game could have been a long lost Dreamcast title.  Games like this are so rare these days and EDF is such a refreshing breathe of air. 

The reason I love your site is because this game gets nearly the same score as Gears of War...that doesn't happen anywhere on the net.  Its almost as if the game had to get average scores because it was a budget title.  Fun is fun in my eyes.  Reviewers need to get off their high horse and actually bring respect back to their profession.  Mainstream gaming journalism has become a monumental joke.  I love this game and I would as far as saying its my favorite Xbox 360 game. 

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 9th, 2007, 1:48 pm

Actually, one of the EGM reviewers is a girl named Jennifer and I am pretty sure she has NO balls at all!

I actually hadn't noticed this but you are right! In EGM the 3 scores are, 80% of the time, all very close...5.5, 5.0, 6.0...
only VERY rarely does one reviwer really disagree.

Thats why VGC rulez!

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » May 9th, 2007, 2:00 pm

Guys, not to hype anything here and each are entitled to their own opinions but as far as games go, I'd give this one a B or even a C.  It's average.  It's not to say it's bad aka D or F material.

It's fun stuff but the graphical glitches are everywhere.  With just a bit more spit and polish you'd have an A game.  Rating it as such just doesn't seem right.  There's no way it's in the same league as other A rated games. 

I've only put an hour or so into it but I have more fun at the moment playing Lego Star Wars (B) or Symphony of the Nights (A) on the 360.  As a result, I'd say (B-) for EDF.

Return to “Review Feedback”