5/12/2007: Wii: Excite Truck, GT Pro Series, Metal Slug Anthology

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » May 14th, 2007, 3:49 pm

*Stands up and claps at Dave

Thanks for getting the Excite Truck grade right. My only gripe is that two people can't work through the Excite Race mode together. Me and my friend cracked the case and had a blast and then eventually got tired of racing four tracks over and over.

I think Metal Slug is an A game too. It is my first time with the series and I love it. I don't mind the wii controls at all.

FUNK
PS: Leave Shawn alone! If he leaves this will turn into Nintendo forums. I like his opinions and he is right more than he is not (On Zelda especially). 

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 14th, 2007, 4:05 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]In reference to Shawn...

The man is entitled to have an opinion.  I don't think there was anything wrong with what he said about Exicte Truck.  He wasn't the only person to say it wasn't an A game.  I've never played it so I can't comment, but he has and that means he gets to voice an opinion in my book.

Also if Shawn is talking about Twilight Princess being overrated I would agree with him.  I thought Gears of War was overrated and I also think Twilight Princess is overrated.  They are both great games, but I would never personally put them on greatest of all time lists.  Both have flaws, but are still better than most games that come out.  I think Twilight Princess hovers on the B+ to A- level.  Its easily one of my least favorite in the entire franchise.  I intially loved it, but after while it fell out of my good graces.

[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with folks disagreeing with me. Hopefully they don't have a problem if I disagree with them, as I do with many aspects of the "Zelda" discussions lately.

-Rob

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 14th, 2007, 4:06 pm

[QUOTE=The RPG Critic][QUOTE=andrew]Its more powerful than the gamecube right? Than how come all the Wii titles look like average Gamecube titles.[/QUOTE]

According to official Nintendo specs, the Wii has approximately 2.5 to 2.75 the graphics hardware capabilities an the Gamecube.

It's my guess that we'll see how Nintendo does with Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Brothers to evaluate what the hardware should be able to do; third parties have not had much time to get to know the hardware.
[/QUOTE]

Great to see you active on the forums, RPG Critic. I'm interested to hear your take on some of the discussions we have here.

-Rob

funky_muzic1

Postby funky_muzic1 » May 14th, 2007, 7:29 pm

Hey Critic,
Great job on the new Wii reviews.  I was fortunate to get my Wii on launch day, but unfortunately the only one I could find was the Fry's bundle.  The bundle came with GT Pro Racing, so I did put a little time into it.  Initially, it was frustrating for the tight controls that you mentioned.  After I got used to it, it was fun for a little while, and I really liked the steering wheel.  After I progressed it got quite a bit harder and (also as you mentioned) there were no additional tracks to unlock, so I haven't really played it since then (about 2 weeks after I purchased the Wii.)
Excite Truck is a great game.  I just picked it up a couple weeks ago (of course it wasn't included in the bundle).  It has a short learning curve and it's fun (and a little challenging) to get an "S" on each track.  I also put some music on an SD card so I could bump some Tech N9ne music while I'm racing.  (If you like rap music, and haven't heard any Tech N9ne, check him out!)  Not only that, but I have a 4 year old who loves to play video games.  He enjoys Tony Hawk Downhill Jam (also in the bundle) so it was easy for him to pick up and play Excite Truck since you basically steer the same way.  I definitely agree with your "A" rating on this game.  Keep up the good work (if we can actually call what you do "work"). 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 14th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Well, I have yet to hit the "wall" some of you refer to with Excite Truck, but if I do, I'll let you know.  It's my favorite "next generation" game, and has been since I got my Wii.

A lot of people thought my grade was too high, but there was only one argument that made me second guess it.  That's the fact that you can't race against CPU cars in the split screen mode!  I always complain about games that lack this feature, so it may be unfair to let Excite Truck off the hook.

If I downgrade it, that's why.  But I wouldn't go lower than an A-.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » May 15th, 2007, 4:38 am

[QUOTE=The RPG Critic][QUOTE=andrew]Its more powerful than the gamecube right? Than how come all the Wii titles look like average Gamecube titles.[/QUOTE]

According to official Nintendo specs, the Wii has approximately 2.5 to 2.75 the graphics hardware capabilities an the Gamecube.

It's my guess that we'll see how Nintendo does with Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Brothers to evaluate what the hardware should be able to do; third parties have not had much time to get to know the hardware.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah Nintendo needs to something.  I have yet to see a game that doesn't look like it couldn't run on the GC without being downgraded at all.  In fact its best looking game so far (Twilight Princess) is a gamecube game.  I'm beginning to wonder if it as powerful as Nintendo claims.   Is it hard for third parties to program for?   It seems many third party games like Call of Duty and Godfather look awful.  Godfather looked worse than many dreamcast games.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 15th, 2007, 12:24 pm

If I could afford ANY of the 3 new game systems, I'd get a Wii. I totally agree with Nintendo that graphics need not matter much so long as the game is fun. I think the very first Gameboy Tetris is still the best, even though it's 1980's graphics! And right now I'm totally hooked on Super Breakout(2600) which is just a bunch of colored lines! I prefer cartoony games to "Real-life" like ones anyway (exceptionriving games).

The DS has N64 level graphics at best, but look at how much fun that system is!

I've seen some very pretty PS2/Xbox games that were boring. I'm not saying great graphics aren't a nice extra, but they are only a small part of the fun. As I said, sometimes 2600 versions of coin-ops are more fun, blocky graphics and all!

andrew

Postby andrew » May 16th, 2007, 11:26 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]
The DS has N64 level graphics at best, but look at how much fun that system is!

I've seen some very pretty PS2/Xbox games that were boring. I'm not saying great graphics aren't a nice extra, but they are only a small part of the fun. As I said, sometimes 2600 versions of coin-ops are more fun, blocky graphics and all![/QUOTE]

That's what the DS is capable of though. The Wii is supposed to give noticeably better graphics than the gamecube. The Atari VCS was only capable of blocky graphics. What I'm getting to is that all systems took full or most out of the systems capabilities and the Wii isn't even pushing the gamecube. Unfortunately not everyone feels that graphics are a minute point and want to see fully realized games.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 16th, 2007, 11:50 am

[QUOTE=andrew]
What I'm getting to is that all systems took full or most out of the systems capabilities and the Wii isn't even pushing the gamecube. Unfortunately not everyone feels that graphics are a minute point and want to see fully realized games.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.  The only game on the Wii that has looked good was Sonic and the Secret Rings.  The games are still awesome, but I'm sort of curious as to what the system can push.

Zelda had wonderful art direction, but it looks pretty rough on my HDTV.  There are so many jaggies and ugly textures that I almost prefer it on a standard def TV.  Graphics don't really improve much, but I can't tell you how many times I wished the game had graphics that were on par with something like Kameo (360). 

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 16th, 2007, 1:30 pm

"The Atari 2600 was only capable of blocky graphics.."

SO not true. The early games were all blocks, sure, but look at ROAD RUNNER, SOLARIS, PITFALL 2 and many other late games. Some are close to 8 bit Atari Computer quality.

And I feel the same thing will happen to the weewee...er, Wii. (which you need a DONGLE for-how many more male anatomy references are they gonna make?!) ... As time passes, developers will make some pretty incredible looking games for it. Once the excitement of the Wiimote dies down, I think more elaborate games will arise.
BTW, once again, shouldn't be a smiley in my post. I keep forgetting typing a COLON-CAPITAL D makes that.

Return to “Review Feedback”