5/16/2007: Turbografx-16: Dragon Spirit, Final Lap Twin, Soldier Blade

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 16th, 2007, 5:41 pm

Let's hear some comments.  My friend Jonathan bought Soldier Blade off Nintendo's on-line service, and is loving it.

Iain

Postby Iain » May 16th, 2007, 7:21 pm

I have been playing Soldier Blade quite a bit on the Virtual Console and I am enjoying it greatly. A really good shooter.

Is that a review of the original or Virtual Console version though?

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 16th, 2007, 10:30 pm

Ah! The Virtual Console. It has a great wealth of classic shooters now.

-Rob

Fiskadoro

Postby Fiskadoro » May 17th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Long time reader of the site, first time poster...

Just curious, you gave the TG-16 version of Dragon Spirit a C, implying it wasn't "imaginative", but gave the NES version (which I believe came out AFTERWARDS) an A-!  (wow...I feel like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons).

Is this a case of expecting more out of a 16-bit shooter than an 8-bit shooter, or just one of the perils of reviewing games out of...er...chronological order?  Just curious...

Love the site!  You really need to get your RPG guy to review some of the Koei Strategy games for the NES/SNES/Genesis...I know they're not your cup of tea, but those were some great games...

Fisk

The RPG Critic

Postby The RPG Critic » May 17th, 2007, 2:54 pm

[QUOTE=Iain]I have been playing Soldier Blade quite a bit on the Virtual Console and I am enjoying it greatly. A really good shooter.

Is that a review of the original or Virtual Console version though?[/QUOTE]

It's a review of the original, but having played both, I can tell you the only difference is the controller.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 17th, 2007, 3:51 pm

[QUOTE=Fiskadoro]Long time reader of the site, first time poster...

Just curious, you gave the TG-16 version of Dragon Spirit a C, implying it wasn't "imaginative", but gave the NES version (which I believe came out AFTERWARDS) an A-!  (wow...I feel like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons).

Is this a case of expecting more out of a 16-bit shooter than an 8-bit shooter, or just one of the perils of reviewing games out of...er...chronological order?  Just curious...

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for alerting me to that!  I don't like inconsistencies in my reviews.  I'll go back and take a look.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » May 18th, 2007, 5:22 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=Fiskadoro]Long time reader of the site, first time poster...

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for alerting me to that!  I don't like inconsistencies in my reviews.  I'll go back and take a look.
[/QUOTE]

That's one of the reasons I think this is such a great website.  If someone gives the Critic undeserved flak for a review, he'll vigorously defend himself but doesn't resort to personal attacks.  And if he's wrong, he'll be the first one to say it.  Much props, Critic.

Halibut

Postby Halibut » May 18th, 2007, 6:42 am

Wow... how could you have written a review about Final Lap Twin and COMPLETELY overlooked the RPG Mode that comes along with it?? When I was younger, I found that my friends and I ignored the standard racing part of the game and went straight to the RPG option. Sure, it wasn't anything ground-breaking, but it at least deserves a little bit of credit for the challenge and fun-factor.

The RPG Critic

Postby The RPG Critic » May 18th, 2007, 8:44 am

[QUOTE=Fiskadoro]You really need to get your RPG guy to review some of the Koei Strategy games for the NES/SNES/Genesis...I know they're not your cup of tea, but those were some great games...[/QUOTE]

You're talking about Romance of the Three kingdoms?  Hmm... I'd have to find them first!

Didn't ROTK4 come out for the Wii VC?

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 18th, 2007, 12:02 pm

[QUOTE=The RPG Critic][QUOTE=Fiskadoro]You really need to get your RPG guy to review some of the Koei Strategy games for the NES/SNES/Genesis...I know they're not your cup of tea, but those were some great games...[/QUOTE] You're talking about Romance of the Three kingdoms?  Hmm... I'd have to find them first! Didn't ROTK4 come out for the Wii VC? [/QUOTE]

Yeah. It's one of those micromanagement games you'll spend a year learning how to play.
There are no actual scenarios in the game either, instead you're given a choice of a number of different periods to start you game in, before selecting one of the different powers fighting for domination at the time, and using this power to take over the entire land. The earlier periods generally had multiple small powers rather than a couple superpowers with tons of men, and of course, choosing a power that was actually dominating at the time rather than some small footnote in history makes things a lot easier, but still, it's practically the same game set in the same area with the same goal no matter what.

Return to “Review Feedback”