5/16/2007: Turbografx-16: Dragon Spirit, Final Lap Twin, Soldier Blade

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2007, 3:09 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=Fiskadoro]Long time reader of the site, first time poster...

Just curious, you gave the TG-16 version of Dragon Spirit a C, implying it wasn't "imaginative", but gave the NES version (which I believe came out AFTERWARDS) an A-!  (wow...I feel like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons).

Is this a case of expecting more out of a 16-bit shooter than an 8-bit shooter, or just one of the perils of reviewing games out of...er...chronological order?  Just curious...

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for alerting me to that!  I don't like inconsistencies in my reviews.  I'll go back and take a look.
[/QUOTE]

As it turns out, the NES game is called Dragon Spirit: The New Legend, so it's a different game (although obviously similar).  Still, I think I overrated it the first time, so I may have to tweak that review.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2007, 5:26 pm

[QUOTE=Halibut]

Wow... how could you have written a review about Final Lap Twin and COMPLETELY overlooked the RPG Mode that comes along with it?? When I was younger, I found that my friends and I ignored the standard racing part of the game and went straight to the RPG option. Sure, it wasn't anything ground-breaking, but it at least deserves a little bit of credit for the challenge and fun-factor.

[/QUOTE]

You are correct sir - I totally overlooked the "quest" mode!  I was just playing it, and it's definitely the highlight of the game.  Look for an updated review in the next few days.  Thanks

zenzerotron

Postby zenzerotron » May 20th, 2007, 1:27 am

I'm shocked and disappointed that the VGC only gave "Dragon Spirit" a "C". Not only because he gave the vastly inferior NES version an "A-", but because "Dragon Spirit" is a minor classic in my book.

I just hope the TG-16 version becomes available for the Wii Virtual Console. Then everyone can download it, and we can start another big protest thing, like we did with "Crackpots" and "Ranger X".

Halibut

Postby Halibut » May 23rd, 2007, 3:33 pm

[QUOTE]The one highlight of the game is its RPG-style "quest mode", where you gradually earn money to upgrade your car while racing challengers in various towns. Although kind of bizarre, I found it somewhat addictive.[/QUOTE]

That's basically how I felt when I was younger and played the game consistently. It was really weird, especially when you meet some of the opposing racers in the later towns with giant jaws and various deformities, but the game can become VERY addictive. The difficulty is moderate-to-hard, depending mostly on what kind of parts you're able to find and the final race is definitely no cake-walk.

Return to “Review Feedback”