5/19/2007: Dreamcast: Fur Fighters, Tokyo Xtreme Racer, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2007, 1:46 pm

Here's a fresh batch of Dreamcast reviews for your reading enjoyment.  Let me know what you think.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » May 19th, 2007, 3:59 pm

Yay, Dreamcast!  Or, as its called now, the original PlayStation 3! 

The first "TXR" left me cold despite looking good for its time (1999) because of how simple and clinical the graphics were (highways upon highways).  It was a wake-up back then though because Genki, until then just another Japanese coding company, had somehow become tight with Sega and was handed the task of porting [b]VF3:tb[/b] to Dreamcast.  The sequel was a much better and more fun racing game though, almost like a set-up for Sega's eventual [b]Sega GT[/b] game.  [b]Fur Fighters[/b] was just too big and ambitious for its own good though.  A more focused and less lavish level design could have gone a long way to making this game a hit and the 'Fur Fighters' another Acclaim franchise.  Alas, like its publisher, 'Fur Fighters' on Dreamcast (and its cel shaded PS2 port) are just videogame footnotes.

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » May 20th, 2007, 12:40 am

Yay, dreamcast I own about 90 dreamcast games buying only the high rated games C+ to A and 8.0 to 10 it was fun trying to collect them...i got a few from your reviews Critic : )! although I liked Vanishing Point a little better than you

Fur Fighters is funny.....I bought this about 6 months ago and what I rememebr from the first time i popped it in was the opening was long..I dont hate long opening but i think it is about 15 minutes. also yeah I never got passed the training the controls just made me think about turok and didnt want frustration..maybe I'll pick it up again. glad to have it in my library.

The first TXR I dont have but have the second one again because it had good reviews...Its funny I've had it for 3 months and only played it for the first time 4 days ago..imagine that and you just reviewed it I think you should point out that at the time the replays were fast loading and dramatic. I kinda like the fact that the licence plate can be customized.
  I think another thing to point out is the actual customizing is funny.  The add on custom pieces for looks are pretty bad they arent as streamed lined as Gran Turismo or "Underground" titles. but they are realistic looking since alot of  the "Rice Rockets" found on the streets in real life are kinda Gawdy and tacky. I think it was more realistic with the ugly yellow headlights and huge Muffler on a civic CRX...I made my vehicle look terrible and I had fun with it.

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » May 20th, 2007, 12:35 pm

I agree with Benjamin.  I remember playing Vanishing Point at your house Dave lo those many years ago and not being too impressed with it at the time.  I later put a few more hours into it and found myself getting more and more into it.  For some reason the whole scheme they have for unlocking cars actually encouraged me to play more, which rarely happens as I'm notorious for HATING games that require you to 'unlock' anything.
Sudz

Michael D

Postby Michael D » May 20th, 2007, 3:20 pm

About Fur Fighters, I remember playing the demo of that one and kind of enjoying it.  I liked the interesting mix of cute animals and shooting action.  The controls, I admit, had a bit of a learning curve, but they seemed pretty responsive once I got the hang of them.  And besides, I think that using the buttons for movement and the analog stick for aiming were probably the best option to play games like this on the Dreamcast (and at least the buttons were bigger than the N64's C buttons, so it wasn't as hard to move with them). 

I guess now that you reviewed Fur Fighters, how does the buttons to move, stick to aim control scheme compare to other games on the system, including MDK2 (which probably used that scheme the best of any game on the system)?  And for that matter, are you planning to review MDK2 for Dreamcast any time soon?

a1

Postby a1 » May 21st, 2007, 2:09 am

I always thought Fur Fighters was pretty overrated. I agree with a C review.

PSXferrari

Postby PSXferrari » May 29th, 2007, 12:57 am

Usually agree with your reviews, but felt differently on TXR2. Back when GameStop was clearing out it's inventory of Dreamcast games, I probably bought about 30 or 40. The vast majority, I popped in to test and only played for an hour or less. TXR2 was really one of the very few that hooked me and had me keeping my Dreamcast out of the closet even though it had been "dead" for about 3 or 4 years by this time. I think what hooked me was the tracking down opponents while just driving around the city streets, and then challenging and racing them through those streets. I know then and since several other franchises have done this, but to me it was very unique. And outside of the typical classics like the Gran Turismos and Burnouts, I'm not usually much of a racing game fan.

Return to “Review Feedback”