Bubble Bobble

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Atarifever1

Bubble Bobble

Postby Atarifever1 » May 29th, 2007, 7:05 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart][QUOTE=Atarifever]It's a pain now, and it was unbearable back then.[/QUOTE]

Get the top-loading NES.  They are available on eBay and the prices have been reasonable.  Don't get the clones, get the real thing hereOr here.  Or even here.

God you SMS and Atari 7800 fans are so lame!  People preferred the NES, for whatever reason, and thus the SMS and Atari 7800 both failed in most markets.  It happened more than 20 years ago.  You've had plenty of time to get over it already! ~~~
[/QUOTE]

The top loader was not widely available when we were children and the NES was at it's height in popularity, so it did little to solve the defect problem.  People are tough on the 360 because of its defects, but if it had a defect rate like the NES it'd be recalled for sure. 

The SMS dominated 1 of three markets.  I suppose you can still say it "failed in most", but I think that's giving it far too little credit, as 1 out of 3 markets isn't really as bad as that makes it sound.

I haven't had 20 years to get over it   I only got my 7800 3 years ago, and have only been actively collecting for it for less time than that.  It's all new to me. 

In any case, I can easily see someone who isn't a fanboy prefering the SMS to the NES though without having to "get over" anything.  It works better and has an awesome game library and, in most games from both systems, better graphics. 

Atarifever1

Bubble Bobble

Postby Atarifever1 » May 29th, 2007, 7:20 pm

By the way, while looking at Mozarts links there I realized if the toploader had been the orignal NES, I may well not have had my opinion of the system forever soured.  Nicer controllers + no blinkies + great library = win.  I might well be calling myself a Nintendo fanboy by now had that happened. 

m0zart1

Bubble Bobble

Postby m0zart1 » May 29th, 2007, 7:47 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]The SMS dominated 1 of three markets.  I suppose you can still say it "failed in most", but I think that's giving it far too little credit, as 1 out of 3 markets isn't really as bad as that makes it sound.

I haven't had 20 years to get over it   I only got my 7800 3 years ago, and have only been actively collecting for it for less time than that.  It's all new to me.[/QUOTE]

I was joking anyway... mostly.  There's nothing wrong with liking the underdog as long as it's not JUST because they're the underdog.

I never had any real problems with my NES, but we all have our reasons for liking or not liking a given console.

Leo Ames

Bubble Bobble

Postby Leo Ames » May 29th, 2007, 8:37 pm

"God NES fans are so lame.  Wow, all I have to do is pay money, follow instructions, and install a new component? My other option is to follow instructions, put time into regular mantainance, and store my carts in plastic bags to keep dust off them."

I never said you had to buy anything, you can easily refurbish the original cartridge connector so it will be good for years to come. Unless you're averse to following instructions, its easy to do. Otherwise, the hardware is as solid as any I've seen and is just as durable.

I'm not even really a NES fan, I just find your rants odd here and at AA. If it didn't suck and fail miserably, you don't like it. And Sega Master Systems are hardly bulletproof, they have a horrible poorly constructed gamepad.

"I was joking anyway... mostly.  There's nothing wrong with liking the underdog as long as it's not JUST because they're the underdog."

Problem is, that's how he seems to decide what his favorite systems from each generation are.

Atarifever1

Bubble Bobble

Postby Atarifever1 » May 29th, 2007, 9:03 pm

[QUOTE=Leo Ames]

"I was joking anyway... mostly.  There's nothing wrong with liking the underdog as long as it's not JUST because they're the underdog."

Problem is, that's how he seems to decide what his favorite systems from each generation are.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because the Genesis and DS are real struggling systems.  And the Gameboy original and Advance... forget about it.  Those things got kicked hard.

I do admit that I often prefer the underdog, but that's because of several reasons.

1: Struggling systems usually have the best games of their generation while they try to take the market.  Compare KC Munchkin to 2600 Pacman.  Look at the original Master System version of Shinobi.  Look at Zillion.  Look at the Coleco library, or the Vectrex library.  Compare Intellivision sports games to 2600 sports games.  Look at Nights, or Sonic Adventure, or Soldier Blade, or Animal Crossing, or Twilight Princess, or Phantasy Star 1, or Shemue, or Metal Slug 1st mission, or Pathway to Glory, or any of the pile and pile of incredible games to grace the less popular systems that most people miss because "OMG the library is so small". 

2: It's much easier to collect for less popular systems.  As a collector, I find it less daunting to try to aim for complete collections for, or complete "good game" collections for less popular systems.

3: It's easier to sort through reviews for games on unpopular systems, as there's half the hype.  Just look at this past generation and all the overhyping of PS2 games.  The more popular systems oten get a free pass, and you can't get an actual fix on what the games are actually worth.  As time goes on, the continued belief that a game was good, leads to people continuing to call it good, even if it wasn't.  Look at the original Star Fox.  It's complete junk, and there are still people out there (many of whom own Wiis and claim they go for gameplay over graphics) who talk about how great this game was.  You won't see people doing that over Cybermorph (even Jag fans say things like "Sucks a lot, but could be worse.   It could be Starfox.  Not that that says much for it").

I often do end up liking "underdogs".  But if liking the Sega Master System, 7800, Neo Geo PC, Odyssey 2, Turbo Grafx 16, etc makes me wrong, I'll gladly be wrong. 

Alienblue

Bubble Bobble

Postby Alienblue » May 30th, 2007, 3:27 am

Atarifever-don't be too hard on the NES. Like you, I now prefer Colecovision/INTV/2600/O2(when I get one) ANND 7800. But back when the NES came out I bought it and musta bought 40 games for it, up to Super mario 3, and I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM LOADING GAMES BACK THEN. They were fine NEW. It's just that the NES carts and toaster systems have aged poorly. The contacts corrode easily and the carts seem "slapped together" now.(remember most early NES games were Famicon DISC games)

Zen-well, when I can FIND an NES clone I'll buy one. I still can't buy ebay right now (though I have a freind trying to get an O2 for me right now)....and you are right it was KLAX/MM you sent me, I still have and play that a lot!

a1

Bubble Bobble

Postby a1 » May 30th, 2007, 4:55 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]

1: Struggling systems usually have the best games of their generation while they try to take the market.    Look at Nights, or Sonic Adventure,

[/QUOTE]

What is everyone on this site smoking? Sonic Adventure is not a very good game. I'm sure you could have come up with a better Dreamcast example than that.

Atarifever1

Bubble Bobble

Postby Atarifever1 » May 30th, 2007, 6:52 pm

[QUOTE=a]

[QUOTE=Atarifever]

1: Struggling systems usually have the best games of their generation while they try to take the market.    Look at Nights, or Sonic Adventure,

[/QUOTE]

What is everyone on this site smoking? Sonic Adventure is not a very good game. I'm sure you could have come up with a better Dreamcast example than that.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know.  Whatever I'm smoking seems to make me like really good games.  Maybe I'm "smoking" oxygen and that lets my brain work.

Leo Ames

Bubble Bobble

Postby Leo Ames » May 30th, 2007, 9:49 pm

Theres nothing wrong with what you like in games, but you have to make some remark in every thread dealing with subjects you don't like (NES threads, anything about the 32/64 bit era, etc.). You jump on people that do the same thing with subjects you do like though.

So seeing your remarks like in this thread just gets annoying after the 100th time.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107737

Atarifever1

Bubble Bobble

Postby Atarifever1 » May 30th, 2007, 10:18 pm

[QUOTE=Leo Ames]Theres nothing wrong with what you like in games, but you have to make some remark in every thread dealing with subjects you don't like (NES threads, anything about the 32/64 bit era, etc.). You jump on people that do the same thing with subjects you do like though.

So seeing your remarks like in this thread just gets annoying after the 100th time.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107737
[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I'm making poor little Leo cry.  NES sucks.  N64 sucks.  Ps1 sucks.  7800 rules and I better not read anyone saying it sucks.  N-Gage rules and if you don't like it you're uninformed. 

The day I'm using this crap to run for office is the day I'll care how partisian I'm being.  The day you use my comments on one board to try to make a point about me on another board though, is the day I start to consider you a stalker.  Hey Leo, on the Dragon Court free for all Peasants boards I used to claim I fought against cabbage and zombies.  Make sure my previous anti zombie policy holds true in discussions on Ataritimes I might have about Dead Rising.  Also, you may want to check in on the HGTV boards to see if I've ever been there to post a pro cabbage comment. 

Get over it Leo. 

Return to “Review Feedback”