6/5/2007: Playstation 3: MLB '07: The Show

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 5th, 2007, 9:27 pm

This will probably be the last baseball title I review for quite a while.  Like to hear your thoughts.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » June 5th, 2007, 10:11 pm

Nice review, and at least it seems there's another good PS3 game out there.  Hearing about your quibbles with the play-by-play commentary not being up to the par of a televised broadcast, I think I know what the developers need to do next time; hire Joe Buck and the rest of the Fox Sports team for the commentary, cause those guys know how to do play-by-play for baseball.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » June 6th, 2007, 12:19 am

Nice review, and another title that makes me wish I had unlimited funds to spend on gaming consoles (so I can own all three, and therefore this game).

I'm still puzzled that you list the "skip" feature of The Show as a big deal, however. You can do the same thing in MLB 2k7 with the A button.

-Rob

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 6th, 2007, 4:23 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]Nice review, and another title that makes me wish I had unlimited funds to spend on gaming consoles (so I can own all three, and therefore this game).

I'm still puzzled that you list the "skip" feature of The Show as a big deal, however. You can do the same thing in MLB 2k7 with the A button.

-Rob
[/QUOTE]

Umm, don't you know how totally annoying it is when you have to continuously hit the A button in order to keep the game going??  It's almost as bad as paging through the instructions at the beginning of a Mario Party game.  It's unacceptable.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » June 6th, 2007, 4:29 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=feilong80]Nice review, and another title that makes me wish I had unlimited funds to spend on gaming consoles (so I can own all three, and therefore this game).

-Rob
[/QUOTE]

Umm, don't you know how totally annoying it is when you have to continuously hit the A button in order to keep the game going??  It's almost as bad as paging through the instructions at the beginning of a Mario Party game.  It's unacceptable.
[/QUOTE]

Umm, no, I don't find it annoying at all. A button press, at least to me, is pretty close to an involuntary action and requires almost zero thought or energy. So I guess I'm still at a loss.

-Rob

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » June 6th, 2007, 5:24 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]

[/QUOTE]

The BEGINING of the Mario Party game (8)?  How about having to hit "A" to start taking the dolphin 'shuttle', then not being able to skip the repeated animation of the dolphin ferrying you to the next area, and then having to hit "A" again after he drops you off.  Not to mention other times throughout the game you have to "A" just to keep things moving.  Don't get me wrong, I really like Mario Party 8, but without all that needless "A" mashing and unskippable cut scenes I would have enjoyed it even more.  And I agree with you, even though you can skip stuff often times by hitting a button it gets to be obnoxious in and of itself if you feel like you're constantly mashing buttons just to enjoy gameplay.
Sudz

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 6th, 2007, 5:35 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]Umm, no, I don't find it annoying at all. A button press, at least to me, is pretty close to an involuntary action and requires almost zero thought or energy. So I guess I'm still at a loss.
[/QUOTE]

No, you're in denial my friend!

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » June 6th, 2007, 7:23 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=feilong80]Umm, no, I don't find it annoying at all. A button press, at least to me, is pretty close to an involuntary action and requires almost zero thought or energy. So I guess I'm still at a loss.
[/QUOTE]

No, you're in denial my friend!

[/QUOTE]

No, you're being anal retentive, my friend .

All kidding aside, we'll just agree to disagree on the A button thing .

-Rob

voor

Postby voor » June 9th, 2007, 7:48 am

It could be worse, right?  I once worked at a grocery store where the company somehow convinced every customer to bag their own groceries.  And not a single complaint!

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » June 9th, 2007, 2:06 pm

Well, here's the deal. I'm a huge sports guy. I follow very closely football, baseball, and basketball (hockey not so much, though I do watch some playoff action).

I appreciate deep sports sims. I appreciate and understand that, to properly simulate a 9 inning baseball game, you need a minimum of an hour to get any kind of realistic game in. I'm OK with that. Some aren't, and I think when you downgrade a game because of its "subtle nuances" as Dave put it, you are really doing that classic reviewer trick: Downgrading something because you don't like the genre. Look at it this way: "Old School" was easily one of the funniest movies in the past ten years, yet it probably only averaged out at the "C" level. This is because movie reviewers tend to be "cultural elitests" (and do not like silly comedy movies), as m0zart would put it.

I don't think MLB 2k7 is an A game, because other baseball games like The Show have more fully realized sim features, but it certainly is nowhere near a D.

Another example of what I'm talking about: I own Forza Motorsports 2. I am not going to review it here or anywhere. That's because I understand that I'll be terribly biased from the get go: I am not a huge fan of ultra realistic racing games. I bought Forza because my buddies both bought it and I like racing with them on Xbox Live, and I love painting cars. But honestly, I would enjoy the game more if I didn't have to worry about gear ratios, weight distribution and tire pressure (though I do like how I understand cars a bit better)!!! But I appreciate that to car nuts like my friends, they LOVE the game, and LOVE the realistic options. To review the game and give it a low grade would be a disservice to the game's intended audience.

-Rob

Return to “Review Feedback”