6/6/2007: Atari 2600: Bugs Bunny, Golf, Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 6th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Well I knew a lot of you wouldn't be thrilled with yesterday's baseball review, so here's some old school stuff for your reading enjoyment.

The original Golf and Beefsteak reviews were only about two sentences each, so they definitely needed an update.  The grades haven't changed much.  I updated the Bugs Bunny review because the old one was just too confusing and hard to read.

Please leave comments.

hi there

Postby hi there » June 6th, 2007, 6:05 pm

Why are the games you've been reviewing lately been good? Review some bad ones!

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » June 6th, 2007, 6:10 pm

Solid reviews, and it's good to see VGC going old school; it seems like it had been a while.  I never played Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes, but I remember reading a very positive review of it in a video game magazine when I was a kid.  Golf is a simplistic but fun game, although not as good as Intellivision Golf.  And the graphics of Bugs Bunny look very detailed for a 2600 game.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » June 6th, 2007, 7:28 pm

The Bugs Bunny game is certainly impressive graphically. When viewed from a distance, Bugs looks almost cartoon quality!

-Rob

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » June 7th, 2007, 2:40 am

I don't know what's happening Critic, but for awhile now I've been disagreeing more and more with you; games you DON'T like (Pole Position 2, 7800) I LIKE, while you like ones I DON'T!
Really, you need to confeer with me first.

Never played Bugs bunny. Looks good. But Golf is one of the few sports video games I like, I LOVED the Intellivision game, but the 2600 is just too blocky and simplistic. Also, I cannot figure out the controls, my average scores were like 99!
Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes is a complete turkey. It's a funny IDEA, poorly executed. It is just too damn SLOW! Shoot at brick, get correct color, turn around, build wall, grab plants off walls, return to do all over. The graphics suck except for the grimicing beedsteaks flying by. I've seen better graphics on the Odyssey2! Almost as bad as M*A*S*H! (from the same co.)

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » June 7th, 2007, 10:13 am

I love the old-skool reviews! Keep them coming!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 7th, 2007, 3:45 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]
Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes is a complete turkey. It's a funny IDEA, poorly executed. It is just too damn SLOW! Shoot at brick, get correct color, turn around, build wall, grab plants off walls, return to do all over. The graphics suck except for the grimicing beedsteaks flying by. I've seen better graphics on the Odyssey2! Almost as bad as M*A*S*H! (from the same co.)[/QUOTE]

I think you need to try my recommended variation: 5AB.  You'll have your hands full.  If you're playing variation 1, that's just a practice mode.

zenzerotron

Postby zenzerotron » June 8th, 2007, 3:48 pm

I never really got "Revenge Of The Beefsteak Tomatoes" either. To be honest, I have a loose cart and never understood how you're supposed to play it. One day I'll stop being lazy and look up the instruction booklet scan on Atariage.com. I've only seen the VGC like this game, other reviews I've seen over the years were fairly negitive.

I think the last cool 2600 game I bought was "Fantastic Voyage". It's a shooter with a WarioWare Microgames look&feel.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » June 9th, 2007, 4:18 am

Zenzerotron: Here is a breif description: The object is to "Wall in the tomatoes" by building 3 different color walls. A brick flies by at the top. Shoot it with your "sprayer" when it turns the right color (pink or green for instance); your sprayer will turn that color-DO NOT SHOOT AGAIN OR YOU LOSE THE BRICK!- shoot the brick into an empty space in the correct colored wall, thereby building the wall. Tomato plants will try to grow on bricks and "eat" them-shoot them and avoid the beefsteak tomaters flying around. Build all 3 walls and do it again to infinity! Thats it! I don't see what Dave sees in this, but do take his reccomended variation, as game one gives you infinite lives! And believe me you WILL want this to end! (theres nothing more to see or do on higher levels)...I'll admit the title is funny and it IS different, but still not FUN!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 9th, 2007, 10:58 am

In the case of Beefsteak, I can see how having infinite lives in variation #1 could ruin a game's reputation.  Most kids just stick in the cartridge and play, so when that turns into a bore, they would think the entire game sucks.  I blame the programmer for that blunder.

Return to “Review Feedback”