6/15/2007: NES: Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Wild Gunman

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2007, 6:44 pm

None of these light gun games are great, but none are objectionable either.  I slightly raised the score for Duck Hunt from D to C-.  I dropped Hogan's Alley from C to C-.  Wild Gunman is a brand new review.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 15th, 2007, 8:32 pm

If Wild Gunman is a C- then Superman 64 is an A+.  That is my honest opinion.  Wild Gunman isn't even a game.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » June 16th, 2007, 1:32 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]If Wild Gunman is a C- then Superman 64 is an A+.  That is my honest opinion.  Wild Gunman isn't even a game.
[/QUOTE]

Woah! That's a bit harsh, don't you think?  You are aware that Wild Gunman (along with Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley) is one of the earliest light gun games to come out, right?  And that it came out in 1984, right?  It's kind of difficult to compare that with a 1999 game like Superman, especially when it's not a light gun game.

In this case, I think it's more how well the games have aged and also, how they compare to similar games of its time.  And although Wild Gunman probably doesn't hold up to something like House of the Dead, for 1984, it was pretty interesting.

Oh, and by the way, thanks Critic for upgrading the Duck Hunt grade a bit.  That seems like a more fair score than before, and although it's not the most advanced game out there, it still can be fun to pop it in every so often and shoot the ducks (and wish how you could shoot the dog for laughing at you).

pilot

Postby pilot » June 16th, 2007, 2:11 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]If Wild Gunman is a C- then Superman 64 is an A+.  That is my honest opinion.  Wild Gunman isn't even a game.
[/QUOTE]
I think you're being overly caviling at Wild Gunman; While Gunman centers on mediocrity, it's actually entertaining for a finite time. Heck, it has even received accolades for being the transcendent laser gun game.

Contrarily, Superman 64 isn't even able to transcend abysmal boundaries as a game, which makes it a far cry from Wild Gunman in terms of quality or gameplay.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » June 16th, 2007, 5:03 am

I don't think you were being overly harsh on DUCK HUNT. It deserved a D. I myself reviewed that game BACK WHEN IT WAS RELEASED!- for a small fanzine, in 1984, and my feelings were that it was "a glossied-up version of the awfull 2600 game SKEET SHOOT!" ... at the time the graphics and animation were impressive(especially the dog opening) but the game was as repetitive as a game could be!- target,shoot,target,shoot,target. you get the picture. Compare this yawner to Segas pack-in SAFARI HUNT which had all sorts of animals and objects to shoot at (and humorous animations like the bird turning into a roasted duck, the rabbit running off all bandaged up..) Duck Hunt really put me off 2600 shooters, I myself never bought another (although I received GOTCHA as a gift, I didn't like that either, although the VGC does)...just a voice from the past telling it like it was!

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 16th, 2007, 7:09 am

You are aware that Superman 64 came out in the 90s right? 

See how little effect my saying that has on your feelings about the game?

I'm not knocking it for being old, as I think every long time poster here should know based on my gaming preferences.  I'm knocking it for being terrible.  I didn't knock the other two, because they aren't terrible.  I don't care if it's a game someone managed to get to work in the 1800s using a zoetrope and a candle.  Technological advancement alone does not a good game make. 

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » June 16th, 2007, 10:29 am

I have great memories of playing Hogan's Alley in the arcades at least a year before I had personally even heard of the NES.  I thought it was a great, but short game, for my quarter.  It was also one of those games that convinced me that the NES was an arcade-perfect machine, for the simple fact that it seemingly emulated the arcade game so perfectly.  I hadn't realized, at that point, that the hardware was basically the same

[QUOTE=Michael D]Oh, and by the way, thanks Critic for upgrading the Duck Hunt grade a bit.  That seems like a more fair score than before, and although it's not the most advanced game out there, it still can be fun to pop it in every so often and shoot the ducks (and wish how you could shoot the dog for laughing at you).[/QUOTE]

Duck Hunt was another game I had seen in the arcades first, with the home version being sold in my area of Virginia about a year later.  It too seemed nearly arcade perfect to me, with the only difference being that you could no longer shoot the dog at all.  In the arcade game, you could shoot the dog in the bonus round.

David Drolet

Postby David Drolet » July 23rd, 2007, 11:46 am

Ive always loved duck hunt, it is an really good game. The only bad thing is the repetitive action but harder at the end, like wild gunman. Hoggan Alley is fun but not for too long and you forgot an light gun game. GUMSHOE

bigladiesman

Re: 6/15/2007: NES: Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Wild Gunman

Postby bigladiesman » May 2nd, 2019, 8:52 am

Because I have a modern NES clone AND play on LCD TVs, my experience in these games is via emulation and a Wiimote. I really like them, but it's true that their cult status is very much caused by the context at the time the NES came out, as a, well "electronic toy that plays on TV".
Last edited by bigladiesman on May 5th, 2019, 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lynchie137

Re: 6/15/2007: NES: Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Wild Gunman

Postby lynchie137 » May 2nd, 2019, 3:35 pm

Atarifever1 wrote:If Wild Gunman is a C- then Superman 64 is an A+.  That is my honest opinion.  Wild Gunman isn't even a game.

Superman 64 will never be an A+ game. Not in this world or the next...

Return to “Review Feedback”