6/26/2007: Dreamcast: Gunbird 2, Last Hope, Super Runabout

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 26th, 2007, 8:43 pm

Feel free to chime in with your opinions.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 26th, 2007, 8:58 pm

Thanks for posting a review of Last Hope.  I was planning on picking that one up, but now I'll stay far, far away. 

I think Gunbird is one of my favorite Dreamcast shooters.  I liked it so much that I went out and imported the orginal game for the Saturn.  Its a quirky, game and I love that you use characters instead of flying ships.  It reminds me of the great genesis game Elemental Master (underrated gem, by the way).  Its games like Gunbird, Mars Matrix that really keep my Dreamcast hooked up year round.  Thanks for doing a re-review.  If I remember correctly you weren't so high on the game in your first review...why the change of heart?

Hey Critic have you ever thought about importing the japanese shooter Trigger Heart Exelica?  That and Last Hope were two games I was really looking forward to playing.  You've already saved me about $60 bucks on Last Hope though.

Cafeman1

Postby Cafeman1 » June 26th, 2007, 11:30 pm

"Gunbird 2 is still tough as nails ...". I agree with that!

I love the DC shooters, and love that Gunbird 2 is so better animated than GW/GW2/MM and is an entirely different kind of shooter. I am not very good at it, even on easy though, so I get frustrated once I get to one round. The animation alone is worth the price of admission with GB2.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 27th, 2007, 6:14 am

Thanks for the info on last hope.  I was looking at it and wondering but I do not like the look of the graphics and R type was never one of my favourite titles (Sacrilege   I know). 
I have to agree with you about Super Runabout.  It is  a good little game but not a great one. 

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » June 27th, 2007, 12:28 pm

More and more I want a dreamcast as I am a shooter fan! Not Last Hope though...mark me down as one who also did not like R*type. I played 3 versions of it, and disliked them all. The graphics and music were superb (especially on SNES) but the game was too bloody difficult and I prefer weapon power ups to the rotating "add-on" RT gave you. At least last hope HAS checkpoints, with RT you had to redo the WHOLE LEVEL when hit! ARGH!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 27th, 2007, 7:16 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]
Hey Critic have you ever thought about importing the japanese shooter Trigger Heart Exelica?  That and Last Hope were two games I was really looking forward to playing.  You've already saved me about $60 bucks on Last Hope though.
[/QUOTE]

I am very interested in picking up Trigger Heart Exelica.  Stay tuned.

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » June 27th, 2007, 11:45 pm

Wow, six reviews/re-reviews for Dreamcast games back-to-back.  I know the videogame critic is supposed to be partial to all videogame systems/games but this looks like love!

Michael D

Postby Michael D » June 28th, 2007, 12:57 am

[QUOTE=J.M. Vargas]

Wow, six reviews/re-reviews for Dreamcast games back-to-back.  I know the videogame critic is supposed to be partial to all videogame systems/games but this looks like love!

[/QUOTE]

Well, I couldn't think of a better system to shower with love, especially considering the consistant shower of good games that Dreamcast gave us over its two year period.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » June 28th, 2007, 4:12 am

That just occured to me...Critic, aren't you supposed to be trying to balance the reviews? First it was baseball game after baseball game, now it's Dreamcast after DC! I'm not knocking the system and I love shooters and racers, but WHERE THE BLOODY 'ELL IS ADVENTURE 2(5200)!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 28th, 2007, 3:44 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]That just occured to me...Critic, aren't you supposed to be trying to balance the reviews? First it was baseball game after baseball game, now it's Dreamcast after DC! I'm not knocking the system and I love shooters and racers, but WHERE THE BLOODY 'ELL IS ADVENTURE 2(5200)![/QUOTE]

Be careful what you ask for Alienblue.  Remember Anakin was supposed to bring balance to the Force?  Look how that turned out.

I am working on the Adventure 2 review, but first I have about 6 more baseball games reviews to crank out. 

Just kidding.

Return to “Review Feedback”