7/1/2007: NES: Battletoads, Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat, Jurassic Park

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » August 31st, 2007, 2:16 am

While we're on the subject of hard games, may I request a review of Solomon's Key (various platforms, including the NES). Much like Battletoads, you can get a couple stages in without any trouble, but to see later stages, you need quite a lot of dedication or a game genie. And also like Battletoads, it's a completely fair game with good controls and a logical setup that requires a bit of strategic thinking. And of course, hidden items make life easier for those who manage to deduce where these are hidden.

(Yeah, a bit off-topic, but it's a great game, give it a shot)

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » August 31st, 2007, 11:47 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
Well it's not like you can't even get through the first stage.  If that was the case, it would lose more than a letter grade for difficulty.  But I can usually make it a few stages in if I use the continues.  I only needed to use the Game Genie to see the advanced stages.  You don't need to get that far to have a good time with the game.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification, your point is well taken. I still think you are being a bit too nice, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 31st, 2007, 1:13 pm

Adamant..thanx for the memories! I loved both Solomons key and Mighty Bomb Jack, two early NES games many considered "too hard". I actually came close to beating SK.... I don't think you can fairly compare it to Battletoads though because it is more of a PUZZLE game, with patience and logic being more important, while BATTLETOADS (which I rented once) was ridiculously difficult in the eye/hand coordination dept. I was in my late teens/early 20's when I owned NES and I beat MOST of the games....I don't think I made it to stage 3 of Battletoads.

How does the Gameboy game stand up?

And why have we seen no GBA / DS Battletoads? It was insanely popular. How hard was BT'S/ Double Dragon? Any worse/better?

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » August 31st, 2007, 1:32 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]How does the Gameboy game stand up?[/QUOTE]

Which, Battletoads or Solomon's Club?
Battletoads is quite decent, and a lot easier than the NES game - I can get to stage 5 (of 8) without too much trouble. There's a lack of extra lives, though, and level 5 is pure evil - make your way through a pathway going in all directions, while a giant brain (yeah) chases you. If it touches you, you die. If you make a single, miniscule mistake during your travel, it'll hit you. But yeah, good game. Worth a purchase.

As for Solomon's Club, I hated it for a single reason: It has a money system, and an item shop. In the item shop you can buy items that give you abilities you never had originally, like the the ability to completely extinguish flames. And yes, you can go back to stages already cleared and accumulate money. Seems far too much like cheating to me. You also have infinite continues and passwords, so it's nowhere near the original's challenge either. Solomon's Key 2 (renamed "Fire and Ice" in the US for some reason) is much better.

[QUOTE=Alienblue]How hard was BT'S/ Double Dragon? Any worse/better?[/QUOTE]

Mostly pure brawler. There was a short (and easy) speeder bike sequence, and some short rope sequences, as well as a shooter stage with Asteroids controls. Nowhere near as good as the earlier games.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » September 1st, 2007, 4:31 am

Thanks adamant, I meant GB Battletoads, should have been more specific. Hey, I played fire n ice once at my sisters long ago, I didn't realize it was a Solomins Key sequal.

If I'm not mistaken Battletoads/Double Dragon:The ultimate team was one of the last major NES releases. I never got to see that. Sounds awful!

Return to “Review Feedback”