7/3/2007: Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Luke

Postby Luke » July 4th, 2007, 9:01 am

Where did it go? I don't see it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 4th, 2007, 9:09 am

First off, I DID play the "party" mode, and it's just ok.  Not bad but not barely worth noting. 

Also, my first draft of the review did mention about how Sonic's voice was really awful.  Want to kill a mascot?  Give him a voice!

Luke: Trying hitting the reload button on your browser.

Quiet Flight

Postby Quiet Flight » July 4th, 2007, 3:37 pm

The rock band from that game has got to be from the lowest level of Hell.

The RPG Critic

Postby The RPG Critic » July 5th, 2007, 8:43 am

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell][QUOTE=Funkmaster V]Man, I gotta tell ya, the terrible voice acting almost ruined this otherwise great game for me. I wish it was like old 2D Sonics or Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and just threw you in there without all of the meaningless story BS. The voice acting is atrocious![/QUOTE]
AMEN!!!!!  Somebody try to tell me again, after playing Secret Rings, that Nintendo is stupid for not doing voice acting in Zelda games.  I think that it should be reserved for new games.  Not classic ones with characters that already have their own voices in our minds.  This is why I would never watch a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon.  It would ruin it for me.[/QUOTE]

You know, you two can fix this gripe pretty easily by switching the language to Japanese

Also, I have to agree with Rob about the B+: I liked having a ring that I could use on stages where I needed to be really fast and a separate ring for when I needed to be killing enemies or being precise about movement, etc.

And the multiplayer is certainly a welcome addition to the package, but it does nothing to alter the overall grade one way or the other.  Too mediocre to improve it but (thankfully) not bad enough to decrease it.

Also, Dave, I'm curious; without the collection of the pearls to fill the soul gauge, what else (from the developer's standpoint) could power the Speed Break and Time Break moves? (which I found myself using quite a bit)

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » July 5th, 2007, 9:23 am

Here are my thoughts...

Sonic is a great 1st attempt on the Wii.  It has flaws, but its still really fun and fans of the series should be happy.

I like the magical pimp ring you get to select before each stage as it adds a little planning to the game. 

Also I would like to note that my friends and I really enjoy the party games in Sonic.  Sure the controls are pretty screwy on a bunch of them, but its always a fun time.  The Genie's Lair is great and so is the Tournament mode...I would like to stress that 4 players are really needed to enjoy the party games.

The biggest shock was that we played Mario Party 8 the other night and everybody thought it was awful.  After one game of Mario Party people were begging to play the faster paced, frentic Sonic Party games.  To me it clearly makes the package better.  Its one of the top games in our "party" rotation right now.  The fact that I can play it single player and then bring it over someone's house for a completely different experience adds at least something to the overall product. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 5th, 2007, 3:37 pm

[QUOTE=a]Okay, it's up. I agree for the most part. I guess I found the game's flaws a little more frustrating, as I would have given it a C. Still, it was a lot better than most recent 3d Sonic outings [/quote]

Sir, you have excellent taste in Wii games.  I also found the controls very frustrating, which interfered greatly with my enjoyment of the game.  Still, it's much better than anything Sonic's done lately outside the DS.

CaptainCruch

Re: 7/3/2007: Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings

Postby CaptainCruch » December 25th, 2016, 5:40 am

I finally got to play this game.... and I think I hate it. I don't like the way the missions are structured, but mostly I hate the Wii-motion controls in this game. I even had a hard time to complete the tutorial! Also, the music is pretty horrible. But the graphics are nice. That's it.

Return to “Review Feedback”