7/14/2007: GameCube: Swingerz Golf, Time Splitters 2

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » July 16th, 2007, 4:08 am

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=Michael D][QUOTE=a]

As someone with an Xbox I can say that it deserves a B on either system. Just because the Xbox has more FPS games doesn't mean they're better than Timesplitters 2. It's a fun game on any system.

[/QUOTE]

True, but the Xbox has Halo, a game that is better than Timesplitters 2.  And no matter how good an FPS is, when you tread on the same territory as a game like Halo, the comparisons will go a-flyin, almost like a reflex.
[/QUOTE]

But the Gamecube has Metroid Prime, a game that is as good as Halo. That doesn't mean Timesplitters 2 is suddenly bad just because Metroid Prime is better.

[/QUOTE]
My org point was that there were loads of good FPS on xbox.  When I orginally bought TS2 I thought this is just an average game.  Sure the multiplayer is quite good fun but that is about it.  Its very underwhelming on xbox as a one payer experience.

Metroid Prime is nowhere near as good as Halo.  It is purely a one player game but it is not your normal one player FPS.  Most of the time to play it properly you have to change it to 3rd person.  Its not a true one FPS because of the adventure element to the game play. 

I take it back and say that even on gc I bet TS2 was a donkey... give me Judge Dredd anyday. 

Mephisto

Postby Mephisto » July 16th, 2007, 12:29 pm

GoW isn't as good as Halo... It's better... We'll see how good Halo 3 is.

tachyon

Postby tachyon » July 16th, 2007, 9:29 pm

As someone with an Xbox I can say that it deserves a B on either system. Just because the Xbox has more FPS games doesn't mean they're better than Timesplitters 2. It's a fun game on any system.

[/QUOTE]

True, but the Xbox has Halo, a game that is better than Timesplitters 2.  And no matter how good an FPS is, when you tread on the same territory as a game like Halo, the comparisons will go a-flyin, almost like a reflex.
[/QUOTE]

But the Gamecube has Metroid Prime, a game that is as good as Halo. That doesn't mean Timesplitters 2 is suddenly bad just because Metroid Prime is better.

[/QUOTE]
Actually I don't really acquiesce with Metroid Prime's superiority when compared to Halo or even TimeSplitters mainly due to its control inferiority and unrefined game mechanics.

While Metroid Prime exhibits awkward controls, which are difficult to get used to even with hours of practice, Halo graces gamers with an intuitive control scheme, which becomes second-nature within minutes or even seconds of starting the game. On the graphical side, Metroid Prime also pales in comparison due to its slightly unpolished visuals.

Another problem of Metroid Prime is the elephantine amount of backtracking one must undertake when going through the game. While this trait may be acceptable or even serve as a benediction to hardcore Metroid fanatics, casual gamers will most likely find it burdensome to go through the same areas repeatedly.

Also, why shouldn't a game be referred to as inferior if there's a better alternative? If you believe Metroid Prime is the preferred game, it would be a sagacious choice to give a lower score to TS2.

jcserver79

Postby jcserver79 » July 16th, 2007, 11:29 pm

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Metroid prime and Halo are NOT the same game and should NOT be compared.

a1

Postby a1 » July 17th, 2007, 7:18 pm

[QUOTE=jcserver79]Metroid prime and Halo are NOT the same game and should NOT be compared.
[/QUOTE]

That's NOT my point. My point was that just because Halo is better than Timesplitters 2 doesn't mean Timesplitters 2 is a bad game. I don't really care if you think Halo is a million times better than Metroid Prime. A lot of people like Metroid Prime, and my point is that you can hold that game as the pinnacle of Gamecube FPSs, while Halo is the standard for Xbox shooters. These games are both better than Timesplitters 2, but Timesplitters 2 is still fun. Which, clearly, the critic understood, since he gave it a B.

Now go cuddle with the Master Chief to calm yourself down.

Steerforth

Postby Steerforth » July 19th, 2007, 8:44 am

Metroid prime and Halo are NOT the same game and should NOT be compared.

I agree completely. You have only to play each for 5 minutes to see that they are trying to accomplish different things, especially control wise. Now, Metroid Prime 3 and HALO 3 on the other hand.......it's go time! (Minus multiplayer in Metroid)

Times splitters is a plenty good FPS that controls very nice for those of us who actually like tight FPS controls with dual analog sticks without annoying autoaim to ruin the game. (Lets make Mario with auto jump because some levels are to hard!) , and don't care how much better FPS are on mouse and keyboard because it is irrelevant because the GC did not come with a mouse and a keyboard. The main story is WAY down quality wise from its sorta predecessor Goldeneye, but the multiplayer is great. I would qualify that with saying they should have made a half dozen arenas much smaller for 2 player play, see what happens when you get carried away with a systems suddenly large capacity? Also they are far too many physco weapons that reminded me of the RCP-whatever in golden eye. It is a matter of taste but I oh so much more enjoy simpler weapons that take accuracy and skill with lower magazines and slower rate of fire with the game set to one hit kills.

But then I don't play FPS anymore, so my views are a little antique.

a1

Postby a1 » July 19th, 2007, 6:39 pm

[QUOTE=Steerforth]Metroid prime and Halo are NOT the same game and should NOT be compared.

I agree completely. You have only to play each for 5 minutes to see that they are trying to accomplish different things, especially control wise. Now, Metroid Prime 3 and HALO 3 on the other hand.......it's go time! (Minus multiplayer in Metroid)

[/QUOTE]

Once again, that wasn't my point. They are completely different games, but all I'm saying is that you can't say that Timesplitters 2 is a bad game, just because there are better FPSs on the system. I agree on the Metroid Prime 3 Halo 3 showdown, even though Metroid Prime 3 will have no multiplayer, while Halo 3 will probably be mainly multiplayer focused. From the previews I've read on both games I think Metroid Prime 3 might actually trump Halo 3 review-wise; not that they won't both be great.

Return to “Review Feedback”