2007/10/27: Genesis: Spiderman and Venom in Maximum Carnage, Star Control

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 27th, 2007, 7:48 pm

Please post your thoughts on these reviews!

VG-Robot

Postby VG-Robot » October 27th, 2007, 9:14 pm

You bashed Starcontrol. You just stepped on a landmine filled with angry PC gamers.

Not that I disagree with them. I am playing Starflight right now. Love it.

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » October 27th, 2007, 9:22 pm

I'm a little surprised by your Star Control review, since you gave Archon, a similar strategy/action hybrid by the same developers, an A.  Some have called Star Control "Archon in space."  The strategy aspect in SC is a bit more complicated, but it's not hard to pick up.  And I found the Spacewar throwback combat to be pretty fun, especially with the balanced races and ships. 

Of course, I've never played the Genesis version, so it might be a botched port, but I wouldn't be able to tell from your review.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » October 27th, 2007, 10:39 pm

Star Control an F? F you!

Seriously, I don't care... but I always thought that a game having two completely different rosters of ships... each very different from each other was interesting. Some match ups are worse... for example, the Star Trek ship does terrible against the main bad guy boss ship, etc. This game was a weird one. I'm surprised it didn't register at least a D b/c of it's uniqueness

FUNK

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » October 27th, 2007, 10:42 pm

Try the game w/o the strategy part and play it good guys vs. bad guys in the melee (Survivor Series) type game. That's fun.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » October 27th, 2007, 10:53 pm

brilliant reviews, critic.  the last two sentences in your 'star control' review are a scream.  very, very witty.  i felt your pain.

Kroozer

Postby Kroozer » October 28th, 2007, 2:43 am

Star Control was weak.  Star Control 2, on the other hand is a different story.  Can't wait for the 3DO review

Cataclysm1

Postby Cataclysm1 » October 28th, 2007, 3:11 am

I think this pretty much confirms that the Video Game Critic is just another run of the mill "crank" reviewer. Someone obviously has not played their Space War.

I have realized what has bothered me about this site. Critic plays so many games, probably most of them with game genies, that there is no time invested in any of them. Any game that has some sort of challenge, or requires some sort of sophistication, cannot be reviewed properly. And I do not mean the bloated 'cinematic' pieces of junk that float around the gaming world today, I mean the true old school classics. This is why RPGs or most adventure games cannot be reviewed.on this site. This is also the true reason why computer games cannot be reviewed (as they always require more sophistication than consoles).

I feel like I've entered the McDonalds of video game review sites. No time is ever invested in these games and all we get is just a flimsy paragraph (which, as time goes on, has grown larger and more bloated as Critic likes to inject his "personal stories" into it).

I used to think prior reviews like Blaster Master and F-Zero GX were simply a differing matter of opinion or taste. But after reading the Star Control review, I realize Critic spends very, very little time with these games and pretty much reviews on a more 'first impressions' basis only.

Critic may say, "Ooohhh, but I am the MASTER OLD SCHOOL GAMER! All games should require only five minutes to play to get a feel!" It is not about time but sophistication. For evidence, I direct everyone to the Critic's review of Smash Brothers. Smash is very much a fast arcade type game (yet highly sophisticated). The best selling Gamecube game got a "C" rating. Perhaps the idea of it being best selling game on the system might warrant some more time to invest in it to see why? But noooooo. We get elitist junk like this:

Although I found the gameplay pretty average, Nintendo fanatics will consider this game a "must-have". With all the classic characters, background graphics, and music, the game is a virtual Nintendo museum.

Nevermind that most of the Smash players are kids (who did NOT grow up with Nintendo), the reasoning does not come from playing the game but just some first impressions mixed with some "zOMG only Nintendo fanatics love it" fiction mixed in.

No one ever shares the same taste in games. But regarding the Star Control review, Dave obviously didn't even put any effort into getting into the game. The game's flaws is that the port is too slow. A review simply gurgling out reactions about the 'spinning map' and so smacks of someone only putting in their toes into a game, not jumping into it and swimming.

I don't want to read a thousand teeny tiny reviews of little more than first impressions. I would rather read fewer reviews of games a reviewer has actually put in some dedicated play than endless reviews where the dedication was shallow. I do not want fast-food reviews.

Dave, if you ever wondered why Game Rankings kicked you off, you should realize it now.

For anyone who wants a real review of the Genesis Star Control, click on below. Look Dave! A reviewer who has actually dedicated some time to a game in order to review it! *GASP*

http://www.sega-16.com/Review-%20Star%20Control.php

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » October 28th, 2007, 10:04 am

Cataclysm, I made a similar comment a while back about the apparent bias against games that take more than 15 minutes to figure out.  The Critic's response was that that he thinks it's a flaw in the game design if a game isn't easy to pick up.  Now, I don't necessarily agree with this, but I do know there are a lot of people who prefer the pick up and play style of gaming.  Heck, sometimes I feel that way when all I want is some gaming action to blow off some steam.   It's good to know there's a review source with a perspective that's closer to a casual gamer than Garry Kasparov. 

That said, I don't think Star Control is that complicated.  That Sega-16 review managed to describe the strategic gameplay in less than a paragraph.  I actually think that like Archon the strategy aspect has been oversimplified.  I'd give the game a B-, or a B if you don't mind the dated presentation. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 28th, 2007, 11:16 am

[QUOTE=Cataclysm]

For anyone who wants a real review of the Genesis Star Control, click on below. Look Dave! A reviewer who has actually dedicated some time to a game in order to review it! *GASP*

http://www.sega-16.com/Review-%20Star%20Control.php

[/QUOTE]

I read this review, and it didn't make much sense to me.  He picks out various flaws in the game for about 8 paragraphs, and then wraps things up by referring to it as "fantastic".   I like my review better!

At least you know where I stand in my reviews.  Misguided or not, my reviews are decisive.

Return to “Review Feedback”