2007/11/23: PSP: Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, Manhunt 2

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 23rd, 2007, 11:25 am

Okay, let's hear your opinions about these games and their reviews.

hi there

Postby hi there » November 23rd, 2007, 11:49 am

Why did they have to put Castlevania on the waste-of-time PSP? Why not the PS2, or 360?

MigAlley

Postby MigAlley » November 23rd, 2007, 1:49 pm

[QUOTE=hi there]

Why did they have to put Castlevania on the waste-of-time PSP? Why not the PS2, or 360?

[/QUOTE]

It's not like the DS has been lighting the world on fire with great games. Anyway, Castlevania is great but why do I have to unlock the other game? It is actually pretty simple to do but still, it is dumb! Based on your review; I am going to check out Manhunt 2 on the PSP. I still think you should give the original Syphon Filter (Dark Mirror), Killzone and Crush a try-I think you might like!

Michael D

Postby Michael D » November 23rd, 2007, 2:48 pm

[QUOTE=hi there]Why did they have to put Castlevania on the waste-of-time PSP? Why not the PS2, or 360?[/QUOTE]

Well, look on the bright side: if it tanks at retail (and considering it's a PSP game, even if it doesn't), then it will almost certainly come to a more popular platform.  Just take a gander at all the PSP originals (some of which were promised that they would remain PSP exclusive) that were (or will be) ported elsewhere:

Tokobot (brought to PS2)
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (brought to PS2)
GTA: Vice City Stories (brought to PS2)
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (brought to PS2)
Every Extend Extra (brought to 360 Arcade)
Twisted Metal: Head On (coming to PS2)
Lumines (brought to PS2 and 360 Arcade)
Alien Syndrome (brought to the Wii, which, BTW, was a direct port of the PSP game)
Exit (brought to 360 Arcade)
Gripshift (brought to PS3 Online Store, coming soon to 360 Arcade)
Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon (coming to PS2)
Mercury Meltdown (brought to Wii and PS2)
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice (coming to PS2; the original was PSP only)
Tekken: Dark Resurrection (brought to PS3 Online Store)

QF

Postby QF » November 23rd, 2007, 2:59 pm

I think there is a way to play Manhunt uncensored on PSP. You might be interested in trying it.

andrew

Postby andrew » November 23rd, 2007, 3:14 pm

[QUOTE=MigAlley][QUOTE=hi there]

[/QUOTE]

It's not like the DS has been lighting the world on fire with great games. Anyway, Castlevania is great but why do I have to unlock the other game? It is actually pretty simple to do but still, it is dumb! Based on your review; I am going to check out Manhunt 2 on the PSP. I still think you should give the original Syphon Filter (Dark Mirror), Killzone and Crush a try-I think you might like!

[/QUOTE]

Will you give it up. Every post you bash Nintendo for no reason. He wasn't implying anything about one portable system or another, just pointing out that clearly the game should be on a console. And he's right. Whats with titles that could sell like crazy like Dracula X doing wasting away on a portable system where it will see only average sales at best? The PS2 is the ultimate console for classic 2D games.

Tourian

Postby Tourian » November 24th, 2007, 12:35 pm

I'm glad this game is the system seller I was hoping it would be!  While Symphony of the Night is still one of my all-time favorites, I am so sick of the endless Castle-roid releases.  It is so refreshing to have a slick new edition of this "old school" entry- short, sweet, linear, and challenging! (though it is much easier with the unlockable character Maria, it almost feels like cheating).

I of course understand where the Critic is coming from with his unlockable complaint, but I looked on GameFAQS for how to get the extra games and it does sound fun to track them down.  One of them I almost got on my own, but I decided I didn't want to drop back down to check the wall and risk taking more damage.  And all the recent Castlevania releases have rewarded probing with tons of quirky little secrets.  Definitely has some charm.

90-

Postby 90- » November 24th, 2007, 11:52 pm

Critic, you didn't mention the literally TONS of thing that were ripped from ROB and put in other games!

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » November 25th, 2007, 3:41 pm

[QUOTE=Tourian]I'm glad this game is the system seller I was hoping it would be!  While Symphony of the Night is still one of my all-time favorites, I am so sick of the endless Castle-roid releases.  It is so refreshing to have a slick new edition of this "old school" entry- short, sweet, linear, and challenging! (though it is much easier with the unlockable character Maria, it almost feels like cheating).

<snip>
[/QUOTE]
The Rondo of Blood remake is now my favorite Castlevania. After Portrait of Ruin, I had just about given up on Castlevania.  Enough was enough already.  This remake gives me hope.  I would love to see Konami scrap the Castleroid formula and go with more of a classic setup.

Tourian

Postby Tourian » November 25th, 2007, 8:25 pm

[QUOTE=Tourian]...and challenging! (though it is much easier with the unlockable character Maria, it almost feels like cheating).[/QUOTE]

To elaborate on this point, compared to Maria, Richter is a bit of a lumbering ox and playing with him makes the game more difficult than it should.  I thought maybe I just wasn't hardcore enough by playing through the game with Maria, but I am happy to report that the Richter in the original moves much more fluidly.  So my only small quibble with the game would be this control issue.

I'd also like to note that the remake is very faithful to the original.  I can see why many regard it as the best entry in the series.  The graphics, level design, and enemies are all top-notch, and the control is perfect.

Return to “Review Feedback”