2007/12/6: Wii: Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Super Mario Galaxy

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Anonymous Prime

Postby Anonymous Prime » December 9th, 2007, 6:04 pm

[QUOTE=MigAlley]

[QUOTE=Adamant][QUOTE=MigAlley]There is hardly any challenge at all and PLEASE don't start telling me; "Mig you have to collect 80 stars and THEN it gets challenging!".[/QUOTE]

That's not the case. The difficulty is already set for each individual star - the game would only get harder after 80 stars if you had done all the easy levels first. If you want the game to be challenging, go hang out in Melty Molten Galaxy instead of Good Egg galaxy. Of course, you don't have access to all the har levels from the beginning, but by going to the newest level you've unlocked, the game should be a lot more challenging than if you finish off all the easy levels completely before moving on.[/QUOTE]

I have played through 73 stars and there is very little challenge whatsoever. I mean, I have seen the "Game Over" screen about 4 times since I have been playing. Heck, during the hardest parts Nintendo put a 1up just so you never run out. It gets better b/c the captive princess Peach sends you five free lives all of the time...isn't that sweet! Don't get me wrong; I don't want Ninja Gaiden tough but a few tough levels here and there would be great. I loved the level where you have to keep pace with "moving screen" (don't know the name but you have to use slinky mario at the end); that was the closest I got to a real challenging level.

The game is just too easy.
[/QUOTE]

I havent seen the game over screen at all, unless you mean the OH NO I LOST A LIFE screen, yet i still find some galaxy missions to be fairly challenging.

Anonymous Prime

Postby Anonymous Prime » December 9th, 2007, 6:09 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant][QUOTE=MigAlley]
I have played through 73 stars and there is very little challenge whatsoever. I mean, I have seen the "Game Over" screen about 4 times since I have been playing. Heck, during the hardest parts Nintendo put a 1up just so you never run out. It gets better b/c the captive princess Peach sends you five free lives all of the time...isn't that sweet! Don't get me wrong; I don't want Ninja Gaiden tough but a few tough levels here and there would be great. I loved the level where you have to keep pace with "moving screen" (don't know the name but you have to use slinky mario at the end); that was the closest I got to a real challenging level. The game is just too easy. [/QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever seen the Game Over screen myself, but that doesn't mean I haven't died quite a bit. In a game like this, you aren't really punished a whole lot more for getting a game over than by just dying, so with all the 1-ups they throw around, I think they just included the lives system out of habit.
And, as I said, the number of stars doesn't really mean much, since I don't know WHICH stars you've found. Do you have all 6 stars from all the galaxies in the final observatory? What about the 3 secret minilevels you access by finding the 3 green stars? Those are all quite challenging. Super Mario 64 had some really fiendish stars as well (100 coins in Rainbow Ride, anyone), and while they were all located near the end, you could get them at any point after having found 50 stars.[/QUOTE]

the daredevil level for that one galaxy, the one with the volcano, took me forever to beat, and i got so frustrated, but never got game over, and always wanted to keep going. so it was challenging, but not so much that i wanted to ring marios fat little neck.

funky_muzic1

Postby funky_muzic1 » December 10th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Critic,
I completely agree with your A+ rating.  This game is amazing.  In fact, I'm proud to admit that I giggled like a little girl when I first started ice skating and doing tricks on that donut-shaped planet!  Granted, the game is a little on the easy side, but that really hasn't taken away from the fun factor at all.  My main problem with SMG being easy, is that if you make it through a level the first time, you only get to see it and experience it once.  Well, you can always go back and replay that particular star...but that's easier said than done when you're continually unlocking new stars and galaxies. 
This is the best-looking game on the Wii, the best playing game, and probably one of the best games of ALL TIME.  Quit being hyper-critical of the difficulty, and the camera, and the swimming (which isn't really that hard), and just have fun playing the game.  This game is what video games are all about.

Return to “Review Feedback”