2007/12/12: Playstation 3: Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 15th, 2007, 1:03 pm

[QUOTE=Superjay]So how were the graphics VGC. You really didn't mention them in the review except for particle effects. Does it almost look as good as a Pixar movie. How much better does it look compared to Mario Galaxy.
[/QUOTE]

I really don't know how to describe the graphics, but they are certainly sharper and more detailed than Mario Galaxy.  That said, Mario Galaxy is still the better game.

MigAlley

Postby MigAlley » December 15th, 2007, 3:15 pm

I'll take Ratchet and Clank over Galaxy any day but that is just me. Galaxy starts to bore after a while but I never got tired playing R&C. 

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » December 15th, 2007, 8:11 pm

Sounds like the PS3 has enough cool exclusives for it now for it to get past that "everyone loves to hate the PS3" stage. Sure took them long enough, though. -.-

Superjay

Postby Superjay » December 16th, 2007, 6:58 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=Superjay]So how were the graphics VGC. You really didn't mention them in the review except for particle effects. Does it almost look as good as a Pixar movie. How much better does it look compared to Mario Galaxy.
[/QUOTE]

I really don't know how to describe the graphics, but they are certainly sharper and more detailed than Mario Galaxy.  That said, Mario Galaxy is still the better game.
[/QUOTE]
I'm opening mine up on Christmas so I'll see if I can do a Reader Review and describe the graphics a little more deeply then.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » December 16th, 2007, 3:07 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I really don't know how to describe the graphics.[/QUOTE]

I do. The graphics in Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction are by far the closest that any game has come to making CG animated characters of the quality of Pixar films like Toy Story and Ratatouille.

Furthermore, the visual scope of this game is incredible, with its huge, bustling city landscapes filled with flying cars, helicopters flying around, and tall buildings in the distance.  It kind of brings to mind the look of films like Blade Runner and Metropolis (the 1928 Fritz Lang version), and although the past Ratchets went for this same asthetic, the PS3 is able to truly bring this interpretation of the world to life (plus, there are hardly any load times as you move across the vast landscape, and there's no pop up in sight).

As far as looking better than Super Mario Galaxy, it's kind of an unfair comparison, seeing as Mario is on the Wii, which doesn't have the power to recreate a game as visually rich as Ratchet on PS3. 

However, although Mario may not have the amazing attention to detail or crisp character models of Ratchet, it more than makes up for it by way of its vibrant use of colors, vast space landscapes, and the overall art direction.  In fact, in its own way, Mario is also a beautiful game in terms of both its artistic design and stylistic choices, and it's also a great looking game in terms of the Wii's power, with graphics that are easily the best the system has seen thus far. 

Superjay

Postby Superjay » December 19th, 2007, 8:37 pm

[QUOTE=Michael D]

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I really don't know how to describe the graphics.[/QUOTE]

I do. The graphics in Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction are by far the closest that any game has come to making CG animated characters of the quality of Pixar films like Toy Story and Ratatouille.

Furthermore, the visual scope of this game is incredible, with its huge, bustling city landscapes filled with flying cars, helicopters flying around, and tall buildings in the distance.  It kind of brings to mind the look of films like Blade Runner and Metropolis (the 1928 Fritz Lang version), and although the past Ratchets went for this same asthetic, the PS3 is able to truly bring this interpretation of the world to life (plus, there are hardly any load times as you move across the vast landscape, and there's no pop up in sight).

As far as looking better than Super Mario Galaxy, it's kind of an unfair comparison, seeing as Mario is on the Wii, which doesn't have the power to recreate a game as visually rich as Ratchet on PS3. 

However, although Mario may not have the amazing attention to detail or crisp character models of Ratchet, it more than makes up for it by way of its vibrant use of colors, vast space landscapes, and the overall art direction.  In fact, in its own way, Mario is also a beautiful game in terms of both its artistic design and stylistic choices, and it's also a great looking game in terms of the Wii's power, with graphics that are easily the best the system has seen thus far. 
[/QUOTE]
Now that's what I call a good description. You better get that copyrighted......joke

Return to “Review Feedback”