2008/6/2: Xbox: Star Wars: Battlefront 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Republic, Star Wars: Republic Commando

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2008/6/2: Xbox: Star Wars: Battlefront 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Republic, Star Wars: Republic Commando

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 2nd, 2008, 6:20 pm

Here are some new reviews of some old Star Wars games.  Better late than never??

Person

Postby Person » June 2nd, 2008, 7:03 pm

I disagree about the Jedi in Battlefront II being gimmicky. They were limited in use because of just how powerful they were. But you had the space battles dead-on. Worst controls ever. You should not control an X-Wing the same way you control your trooper. My friend and I absolutely hated those battles.

andrew

Postby andrew » June 2nd, 2008, 7:57 pm

You have a lot more patience with Knights of the old Republic than I did. I too can see why people adore the game, but just couldn't get into it and sink in the hours to enjoy the game.

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » June 2nd, 2008, 8:06 pm

Did you play 10 hours of KOTOR total?  Was that even enough to get to the big "twist"?  As the story picks up, reading the story doesn't become a chore. 

NixonTech2071

Postby NixonTech2071 » June 2nd, 2008, 8:17 pm

KOTOR is the reason why I still use my original XBOX. Buggy on the 360, makes this an obscure problem with the software.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » June 2nd, 2008, 9:55 pm

I'm just happy you finally got through Knights of the Old Republic. Don't worry- a B+ is enough to keep m0zart and myself from organizing an angry mob of verbose dialogue loving gamers lining up with pitchforks at your door (-:

I think you did a good job with Republic Commando, and Battlefront II... well, I disagree with you there! I would have given it a B+/A-. The space battles are extremely fun in multiplayer! Get 2 or 3 other people, have them man the various gunnery chairs and lead a strike team into a Star Destroyer.... it doesn't get any better than that!

-Rob

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » June 2nd, 2008, 11:46 pm

[QUOTE=MappyMousePD]Did you play 10 hours of KOTOR total?  Was that even enough to get to the big "twist"?  As the story picks up, reading the story doesn't become a chore[/QUOTE]

Yeah I didn't find it a chore at all to read through the conversations.  That was one of the best parts actually.  And the twist -- well that would have made all the reading well worthwhile even if I hadn't already enjoyed it so much.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » June 3rd, 2008, 12:29 am

Hmm, I didn't quite notice that The Critic only played KOTOR for ten hours. This might be considered a knock by some, but yeah, he's still missing out on huge, big parts of what makes the game great.

It isn't as if the first ten hours  are crap- there's lots of good RPG gaming to be had; but certainly there are things in the game that really elevate it to "best of all time" discussions, and those things are in the latter half of the game.

The point is basically this: KOTOR might be the finest Star Wars tale that isn't connected to the actual movies.

-Rob

jrallen811

Postby jrallen811 » June 3rd, 2008, 12:49 am

I like RPGs, but didnt find KOTOR revolutionary or all that gripping, to be honest. Also, I thought the load screens were a big issue when going from location to location. anyone else notice that?

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 3rd, 2008, 9:14 am

Did hell freeze over?  I couldn't believe my eyes when the Critic reviewed KOTOR.  No RPG Critic to handle it...just Dave.  Well done sir.

I think he did an excellent job with the review.  I agree that he should slowly continue plugging away at the game since it gets more rewarding the deeper in you get.  Its easily one of the best reasons to own an original Xbox.

Critic if you ever get a chance I really recommend reviewing Jade Empire (xbox).  It was also made by Bioware and it had an amazing Chinese theme.  I've never played anything like it.  The combat happened in real time and it was very satisfying.  Plus there was no need to worry about getting tons of gear and loot for your character.  It also had some really fun overhead shooting mini games.  Some may not think its as great as KOTOR (I think its better) but its much more accessible.

Return to “Review Feedback”