2008/7/1: Atari 2600: Bugs, Mouse Trap, Tutankham

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 1st, 2008, 6:13 pm

Let's here your comments about these three Atari 2600 re-reviews!

NixonTech2071

Postby NixonTech2071 » July 1st, 2008, 6:27 pm

How long do you wait before you re-review?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 1st, 2008, 8:33 pm

[QUOTE=NixonTech2071]

How long do you wait before you re-review?

[/QUOTE]

I don't have a schedule for re-reviews.  They are usually games I've played recently and notice their reviews are lacking in some way.  Usually they are older reviews (pre-2003).  I do try to retain the best parts of the originals.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » July 2nd, 2008, 12:34 am

VGC, how dare you give Bugs such a low grade. Did you know that just behind Ssssnake, Bugs is Alienblue's favorite 2600 game of all time!??

BUGS IS A MASTERPIECE!!

Like Sssnake, it's as if it was a gift from God!!

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » July 2nd, 2008, 1:51 pm

Zen, I am going to pull out your eyes and stick them in your pants so you can watch me kick your butt! >

By the way, hope you are doing well my freind!

Critic, shame on you twice. BUGS and MOUSETRAP are every bit as bad as TUTANKHAM-the one review you got right!

In BUGS, DYING IS TOTALLY RANDOM. You just shoot the Bugs and SALAMADERS (according to the instructions they are salamanders not lizards. And Centipedes/Millipedes are not even INSECTS let alone BUGS. BUGS are a family of insects that include Aphids, Bedbugs and Tree Hoppers..but I digress..) and then the PHALANYNX
comes out and you are dead. At least WARPLOCK and ENCOUNTER AT L-7 are mildly amusing, but BUGS, Sssnake and AIRLOCK all suck POND SCUM HARD!

And Mousetrap. Yoy said this was DIFFICULT? How many drinks had you had? Despite the somewhat good graphics this game was EASY TO THE POINT OF BOREDOM. On my first game after buying it in 1982, I played through 48 straight mazes before turning it off!

On Colecovision, Mousetrap has poor controls and is VERY difficult. But at least you have prizes....and music... and a hawk...and an "IN" transporter box. The VCS has none of this. I actually think 2600 PAC MAN is more fun than 2600 MOUSETRAP.
Good sound and graphics alone do not a good game make.

PHBBBT!

Recycled

Postby Recycled » July 2nd, 2008, 3:32 pm

With all due respect, I'm going to agree with alienblue here.

I'm don't understand how you can squeeze a "B+" outa Mouse Trap.  "C" at best in IMHO.

This version gets boring REAL quick and can't hold a candle to the CV version which I greatly enjoy.

That's what I think, anyway.

zenzerotron

Postby zenzerotron » July 2nd, 2008, 7:29 pm

I can't honestly list all logical reasons for this, but I really think that Mousetrap is the WORST maze game on 2600, yes worst then Pac-Man!! I can't stand this game!!

I can say how the button-pressing isn't accurate enough and you get killed over it (opening a door when you want to turn into a dog, or visa-versa).

I can say the game looks like poo; poorly drawn characters and 2 colors on the screen at once.

I can say that the maze is too cramped and small, so there's not much to do and the cats are always up in your face.

But there's just *something* about this game, that I can't explain, that puts it on my personal top-5 worst 2600 games of all time.

I just find it very unpleasent.

As for King Tut.........I could swear that Alienblue was telling me in a recent email that he LIKES this version of it. That the game seems ugly and terrible on the surface, but it has this hidden quality if you keep playing it. I present this as evidence folks, that Alienblue secretly loves Bugs and Sssnake and he's just front'n on the board here!! Alienblue loves 2600 poo!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 2nd, 2008, 8:09 pm

Well, it's official, you guys have all complete lost your minds!!

I will take a smooth maze game like Mouse Trap over a choppy one like Tutankam any day of the week! 

Will anybody back me up?  I'm being ambushed!!

NixonTech2071

Postby NixonTech2071 » July 2nd, 2008, 8:25 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Well, it's official, you guys have all complete lost your minds!!

I will take a smooth maze game like Mouse Trap over a choppy one like Tutankam any day of the week! 

Will anybody back me up?  I'm being ambushed!!

[/QUOTE]

I understand that pac man clones are usually done right, I have to support mouse trap.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » July 2nd, 2008, 9:55 pm

Not only does the VGC like Mousetrap, but he likes Fathom and Revenge Of The Beefsteak Tomatoes!!

Quite often when it comes to 2600 games, the VGC is WRONG WRONG WRONG and WRONG!!

Return to “Review Feedback”