2/17/2006: Genesis: Adventures of Batman and Robin, The, Dashin' Desperadoes, Revenge of Shinobi

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2/17/2006: Genesis: Adventures of Batman and Robin, The, Dashin' Desperadoes, Revenge of Shinobi

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 17th, 2006, 5:15 pm

Don't be shy about posting your thoughts.

Cafeman1

Postby Cafeman1 » February 17th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Can't agree with a D+ score, but I find you rate many games too low. Comparing with other reviews, the clunky Altered Beast gets a C+, heck even Barkley Shut up and Jam and Beavis & Butthead get D's.  This isn't as shocking as rating Atari 5200 Star Raiders and "F", but it still surprises me that you disliked it so much.

Using your A to F scale, I'd rate AoB&R a "B". The only thing "wrong" with it is that it doesn't play like a Batman game -- it's a run-n-gun platformer with a Batman theme.  I don't think it is any harder than Gunstar Heroes, for example. The player needs to think a little harder to learn the patterns and then pull off the proper moves. Adventure of B&R was a breath of fresh air when it came out.  A frenzied arcade-style beatem-up with aweseom theme, graphics, and audio. Technically it's a AAA effort.

You stated "You have to beat up the same thugs over and over, and there must be thousands of them! You'd think that having a partner would help, but in the two-player mode the game just throws twice as many at you!", for example.    Well, if you stand still on a level and don't scroll forward, then yes the enemies keep coming. Just keep running through them, hitting / shooting as you go (remember your Batarang is builds a charge if you don't hold the button down) until you are physically stopped, then beat up those enemies, grab hearts, and continue.  Everything has a pattern that after several sessions you start to learn.  Once you get 2 or 3 same-colored power-ups and learn a few patterns, the game gets easier. I used to think it was unbeatable, until I watched Cafeman Jr (about age 7 back then) pretty much get through the whole game without cheating (!!) That's when I appreciated it even more.

I think it's one of the best Genesis games!

Crimefighter

Postby Crimefighter » February 17th, 2006, 6:46 pm

You had trouble beating the first boss?  Heh, I figured out how to beat him right away, it was easy!  All I did was walk up until he swung his sword down and moved back to avoid it...then blast him in the head!  And this was when Sega was holding a college tournament back in 1991.  I beat the whole game, it's not that hard.  Especially if you have unlimited throwing stars.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 17th, 2006, 6:55 pm

[QUOTE=Cafeman]

Can't agree with a D+ score, but I find you rate many games too low.

[/QUOTE]

That's better than rating them too high, like the magazines which rate everything the equivalent of an A or B.  I think it's skewed people's perspective of what's average.

Actually, a D+ from the VGC is fairly respectable.  It's just a notch below average.

Cafeman1

Postby Cafeman1 » February 18th, 2006, 12:20 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
That's better than rating them too high, like the magazines which rate everything the equivalent of an A or B.  I think it's skewed people's perspective of what's average.

Actually, a D+ from the VGC is fairly respectable.  It's just a notch below average.
[/QUOTE]

Overall, I agree and that's one reason I always enjoyed reading the site's reviews. It's refreshing, until you see a beloved game get an "F" or a "D". To me, there is very little positive about a "D".

Thinking some more, I remember being very disappointed in the game at first. It was a run-n-shoot, and being the Batman fan I was, I wanted something with a bit more substance. Besides, everybody knows Batman doesn't shoot guns or lethal weapons, he uses diversion and incapacitating weapons such as smoke bombs and batarangs.  But I rather enjoy the AofB&R theme to this run & shoot game, and of course I'm swayed by the technical awesomeness of it.  Well, no sense beating a dead horse here, I think that's about all the opinion I have left.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » February 18th, 2006, 12:46 am

Dave, I remembered not liking the adventures of batman and robin for the genesis when I was younger.  It wasn't until Zen and Alienblue enlightened me of how great of game it was that I even tracked it down to play it again.  The game really is good once you get the hang of it.  The secret is powering up your weapons.  Always collect the same colored power-ups and you will be dishing out lots of pain in no time!  The graphics and sound for the game are also top notch for a genesis game.  While I respect your review I feel that the game gets better the more time you invest in it.  Its really all about learning the patterns of enemies and where all the power-ups are.

Dave have you played the SNES version of Batman and Robin?  Its a completely different game and I would say thats its the best batman game you can play.  You should really do yourself a favor and try it out.  Its more of an action platformer compared to the brawler/shooter genesis version.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » February 18th, 2006, 7:01 am

AOB&R: I really wish you'd give this a higher score. I'd be the first to admit it's not the best BATMAN game ever, but for a Genesis Batman game it scores at least a B! You said it was "repetitive"?! How? Each level is different. Level one is a chore, yes, with the goons coming nonstop but then LATER levels have you hitting baloons, flying through the air and facing down a heliocopter, even avoiding BOMB-BUNNIES! It's very unique on each level, at least as uniqiue as a fighter/shooter can be!

DD's: I agree with you on this, I even think this stinker would deserve an F, except the EVEN WORSE "BOMB BROS." came first!

ROS: Shinobi deserves a higher grade-at least B+. C'mon, this game is super easy with one lil' built in cheat, Dave! On the options screen, select SHURIKENS. Set to 00. Wait a few seconds. It will change to an infinity symbol. Now you have UNLIMITED shots, and the game can be beaten in 20 minutes. And the first boss is VERY easy. Just get as far up on the left of the screen as you can; his sword can't reach you but YOU can still shoot HIM. Piece o' cake! And while most of the enemies WERE changed, they DID keep spiderman, since Sega had rights to him by then.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » February 18th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Bang on Shinobi review.

I used to find that first boss rock hard, put me off the game for awhile.  But now that I know about the cheat, well I get the feeling the game will be a lot more fun.

emoney

Postby emoney » February 18th, 2006, 3:14 pm

I posted about batman and robin awhile ago. The game is fantastic. Granted it is hard as hell and the last level is a bit lackluster in comparison to the rest of the game but there are definetley patterns to be found. The music is so well paced with the levels that it stays intense and at least kept me playing. Id say B!

As for revenge of shinobi... B+  thanks to yuzo koshiro's music it is even better.

I give credit for good game music.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » February 19th, 2006, 4:31 am

"..Dashin Desperades...would desrve an F except the miserable
BOMB BROS. came out first"

Errata: I meant to say BONAZA BROS. I believe DD was a follow up to that early, so called "game" (eck)!

Dave: It would seem most people here are disagreeing with you on AOB&R and ROS. Did you know about the SHURIKEN code in ROS, and how easy it is to beat the GOLDEN LOBSTER (first boss)? Will you be changing these scores just a lil'????

Return to “Review Feedback”