2009/3/31: Intellivision: Safecracker, Sub Hunt, Thin Ice

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 31st, 2009, 5:58 pm

Here are three fresh new Intellivision reviews for you to comment on!  Enjoy.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » March 31st, 2009, 7:19 pm

yeshhh! intellivision reviews! i agree with the safecracker grade, though i might be compelled to give it a C-. i thought safecracker, dracula, and ice trek were 3 imagic games that looked great, but the game play was really ho-hum.

with subhunt, it is a slow game, but remember, in 1982, this was a fast paced 'sonic' type game. we were much slower back then.

i've never played 'thin ice', but i've heard and read many good things about it.

muchos gracias for going old school.

Guy

Postby Guy » March 31st, 2009, 10:03 pm

I think Sub Hunt is a good game. I would of gave it at least a C. You need to go in reverse when the destroyers come after you, so you can get them out of the way first.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 31st, 2009, 11:06 pm

I went back and tried using the reverse control this time (I didn't notice that before) but it didn't seem to make any difference.  It's really hard to tell what's going on during a battle!

Guy

Postby Guy » April 1st, 2009, 12:44 am

The first thing you need to approach the fleet with your radar off and submerged. When you are getting close you need to surface and turn your radar on, so you know you are close. You will see a ship leave their fleet. This ship is the destroyer. You need to go in reverse at your top speed. You must not miss the destroyer when it is coming after you. Once you sink the destroyer it is easy pickings on the remaining fleet. Only turn your radar on for a split second to see if you are close to the remaining fleet. If you do miss the destroyer dive as deep as you can, turn your engine off, and have your radar off. If the depth charges are hitting you try to move your sub and then stop your engine. After the destroyer leaves you need to try the same thing again until you get that destroyer out of the way. I can bet this game on the hardest setting it just takes a little practice shooting when you are going in reverse. First play on easy because there is only one destroyer in the fleet.

I hope this helps,

Guy

Guy

Postby Guy » April 1st, 2009, 12:47 am

You may be playing on the hardest level. There are 3 destroyers in a fleet on the hard level. Try the easy level first.

Guy

Guy

Postby Guy » April 1st, 2009, 10:53 am

Another tip  for everyone

I forgot to add that there are 2 islands. The eastern island is the one that you occupy and the northern island belongs to the enemy. The enemy will first travel to its island to get reinforcements (more destroyers). It is a good idea to take the fleet out before they reach their northern base.

Guy

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » April 1st, 2009, 3:26 pm

I really liked your review for "Thin Ice", especially how you mentioned "it's one of those obscure yet compelling games that classic gamers thrive on." That alone made me intrigued. My only suggestion would be to indicate in your review whether the game is rare or expensive or not, since if I owned an Intellivision, I'd want to keep my eye out for a copy.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 1st, 2009, 7:08 pm

All you have to do is click on the Ebay link under the review, and you'll get a list of the ones currently up for auction (or sale).  That should give you a good idea of the price range.

Expensive is kind of a relative term.  If you're looking for a complete game, it's very expensive, but the cartridge itself is fairly reasonable.

cityside75

Postby cityside75 » April 2nd, 2009, 12:36 am

I have to stick up for Sub Hunt here as well, I loved this game when I was a kid and like a lot of Intellivision games it has a surprising amount of depth and strategy.  It may be tedious to learn and I definitely had more patience for this as a kid, but if you do you'll find a very solid game in there. 

Return to “Review Feedback”