2009/3/31: Intellivision: Safecracker, Sub Hunt, Thin Ice

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 2nd, 2009, 5:22 pm

You have to like slow, detailed strategy games to like SUB HUNT. It is not my cup of tea either; I like strategy games but UTOPIA is much better...faster and more exciting than this.

Dave, you gotta start following your own rules about profanity. One post of mine was not allowed because it had the word B**CH
(A female dog)...yet YOU used B**TARD in your review!

I am anti profanity too, but this is confusing!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 3rd, 2009, 6:12 pm

Do as I say... not as I do.

ALIENBLUE1

Postby ALIENBLUE1 » April 4th, 2009, 9:21 pm

HEIL, VGC!

YES MASTER, WE HEAR AND OBEY.

I'm being sarcastic. VGC has opened up a whole new world of freinds for me. I never knew there were so many kind, caring,
giving guys in the world! Just today Cary sent me some videogame
magazines from Japan and TS sent me a book too (but I want to point out I enjoy giving back as much as I can).

But SERIOUSLY Dave, you need to be consistant. If a word is not allowed, its not allowed. I personally enjoy reading reviews not filled with F-this and S-that! And yet you allow the worst word
of all, SNUGGLEBUNNIES! SATAN WORSHIPER!

Back on the subject: You need to allow for the fact the INTV is a Snail-slow system. Fast games are rare on here. Ever play INTV
Q*BERT? Hop. Hop. H---@#$^!....hop. AHHHHHHH! Start over. (:

Guy

Postby Guy » April 4th, 2009, 11:55 pm

I played Sub Hunt tonight on my Intellivision and I did pretty good.  I didn't do as good as when I was a kid.  I forgot on the easiest level the destroyer will not come after you right away. The destroyer is the right most ship in the fleet.  I just took it out right away and destroyed the remaining ships in the fleet under 20 seconds. I also played the hardest level and I won with only one sub left. I almost lost my last sub. It is still a fun game, but if you do not get the destroyers with the first shot on the hardest level you have a good chance you will be swimming with the fish.   

Crock1

Postby Crock1 » January 30th, 2011, 10:20 pm

As a kid, I was raised on the Atari 2600 and Colecovision, but have always been interested in the Intellivision.  I hinted to my wife that the kids could get me Intellivision Lives DS for Christmas, and they did.  Since then, I've been having a lot of fun teaching myself games like Space Battle and B-17 Bomber (both great games, by the way).

Last night, I taught myself Sub Hunt -- and I gotta say Critic that although I agree with you 99.9% of the time, even after your recent re-review, you're still way, way off on this one.  It's easily as good as both Space Battle and B-17.  Let me explain.

First off, I find traversing the first two screens kind of fun, and that they nicely set the mood for the game.  And I don't find that they take very long at all.

Now others have already pointed out, the crux of the game revolves around taking out the Destroyer(s) in each convoy.  Info about how to do it is scattered about in the manual, but I'll boil it down:

• As you approach a convoy (i.e. your ship starts blinking slowly), press "dive" once (to go to periscope level), shut off your sonar, and slow your engines way down.  Wait for the Destroyer(s) to approach, and you can usually sink them pretty easily (remember this is a sub game -- so you're supposed to be stealthy!).
  • In the off chance that you miss the Destroyer, dive all the way down, wait for the convoy to pass (i.e. your ship starts to blink fast), press "return", and try again.

Once the Destroyer is taken out, finishing off the rest of the convoy is like shooting fish in a barrel.

The only fault I can find with the game is that there's no damage indicator, so you have no idea how close you are to losing your sub.  Of course, I guess since there's no way to repair your sub, it doesn't really matter, does it?

So what do you say Critic, is there any way of convincing you to give it one more try?????  Third times a charm!  And you know you couldn't live with yourself knowing that you're this far off on a review, right? [/guilt trip]

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » January 31st, 2011, 8:14 am

The updated reviews haven't replaced the old ones for me yet.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » January 31st, 2011, 8:15 am

Sorry, I thought these reviews were new. I didn't realize this thread was over a year old.

D'oh!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 31st, 2011, 4:49 pm

Crock,
As long-time readers will attest, my reviews are never set in stone.  I usually give each game another look every few years, and I will update a review to take into account comments like yours. 

I'll put Sub Hunt on my to-do list.  The only question is how long it will take because the list is kinda long.  Stay tuned...
Dave

Crock1

Postby Crock1 » February 1st, 2011, 8:16 am

Maybe these weren't re-reviews -- my bad (for some reason thought they were).  In that case, it should be even easier convincing Critic to take another look at Sub Hunt!

And yea, didn't realize it was as far back as '09 these were reviewed.  Seems like just a month or two ago -- where does the time go???

Dave -- just saw your comments.  You can count me as one of those long time readers as well!

Jake

Postby Jake » February 12th, 2011, 12:51 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Crock,
As long-time readers will attest, my reviews are never set in stone.  I usually give each game another look every few years, and I will update a review to take into account comments like yours. 

I'll put Sub Hunt on my to-do list.  The only question is how long it will take because the list is kinda long.  Stay tuned...
Dave

[/QUOTE]

Sub Hunt takes time to get used to, and the difficulty level could be a bit better, it seems uneven, for example... too easy on settings 1 'n 2, and way too difficult on 4 'n 5... can anyone beat difficulty setting 4-5, and achieve that clear all screen ??
I can do it on setting 3 (disc setting my fav), but the next two are tough!

I thought the review was good of the game, but maybe a bit strict considering the game was made in 1981... ! It has quite a lot of depth for a game being that old... and also it's pioneer for the Sub Simulators that came much later.

You may want to check out Vectron and Mission X again, the more I practice these the more I like 'em. Especially Vectron, which has me more addicted then Tetris.
Gotta build those energy blocks!!!

Return to “Review Feedback”