2009/4/14: Turbografx-16: Shockman, Silent Debuggers, TV Sports Football

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 14th, 2009, 6:40 pm

You've all been waiting almost a year for new Turbografx reviews, so I hope you enjoy these!

ManKind

Postby ManKind » April 14th, 2009, 8:03 pm

are they really say these quote on Silent Debuggers?? Talk about engrish at its extreme

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » April 15th, 2009, 8:23 am

I came relatively late into the TG-16 gaming wagon when I got me a Turbo Duo unit with some games (cards and CD's) about five years ago.  "Silent Dubuggers" was one of the titles that impressed me considering it's age and ancient technology (an 8-bit machine comparable to the Sega Master).  For a dungeon crawler I found the colorful graphics pleasing, the sound phenomenal and the challenge interesting.  I played it a few times, put it away and forgot about it until I read your review.  Unfortunately my Turbo Duo has been in the fritz for a couple of years and I haven't gotten around fixing it.  When I do the card for "Silent Debuggers" is still here, ready for another tryout after I play other goodies first ("Castlevania X").  

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » April 15th, 2009, 12:05 pm

[QUOTE=J.M. Vargas]I came relatively late into the TG-16 gaming wagon when I got me a Turbo Duo unit with some games (cards and CD's) about five years ago.  "Silent Dubuggers" was one of the titles that impressed me considering it's age and ancient technology (an 8-bit machine comparable to the Sega Master).  [/QUOTE]

Duo comparable to the Master System? Are you kidding me?  Sure, they're both dark colored consoles and they both have rectangular game pads... but really.

DJC1

Postby DJC1 » April 16th, 2009, 12:22 am

Dave,

Now that you reviewed TV Sports Football (and suffered for it I am sure), you owe it to yourself to track down and review Madden Duo. This is classic Madden all the way and is sort of a hybrid between Madden 92 and Madden 93.

Great gameplay, unintentionally hilarious video clips, and no passing windows (that's right - at least 2 full years before that feature appeared on other systems) all add up to a good game.

As a hstorical note, this game was licensed to Hudson and not created by EA and I think it was the first time that happened with a Madden game.

- DJ

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » April 16th, 2009, 9:01 am

[QUOTE=ajsmart]Duo comparable to the Master System? Are you kidding me?  Sure, they're both dark colored consoles and they both have rectangular game pads... but really.[/QUOTE]

My bad, I was talking specifically about "Silent Debuggers."  I meant to say the Turbo-Grafx 16 aspects of the Duo (the CD-R games/sound are leaps beyond anything 8 or 16-bit at the time) mirror, technology wise, the innards of 8-bit systems like the Sega Master.  The proof is in the games though, and TG-16's Hue Card games didn't look/play as 8-bit (despite being on a system that was) as its Sega Master or NES counterparts.

Return to “Review Feedback”