2009/5/15: Saturn: Batsugun, Guardian Heroes, Rayman

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Gleebergloben

Postby Gleebergloben » May 16th, 2009, 6:33 pm

[QUOTE=Marriott_Guy]I noticed that two of the games were high-ticket items, with one receiving a low score.  I imagine it has got to be frustrating making the investment for an expensive game that doesn't pan out (= good gaming experience).  Does this happen often to you or do you have a significant network of gaming friends where you can borrow a game for review purchases and not expose yourself financially in this way?

Juest curious...
[/QUOTE]

Also, does the cost of the game reflect in the grade at all? I'm sure you try to block the price out of the equation, but if I pay 10 bucks for a game as opposed to 80 bucks, I think it could have some effect on grading.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 16th, 2009, 9:21 pm

Okay, I was just playing Rayman for the Jaguar, and I think I can clear up the discrepancy.   I think I overrated it for the Jaguar, and underrated it for the Saturn (duh!).

I should mention however that I do prefer the Jaguar version.  Yeah, I know it has less fanfare, but I like that.  The game is simpler, with no cinematics, goofy sound effects, or load times.  The save system is great.  Rayman doesn't have a voice, and that's good.

The Jag version is also easier, but the differences are very subtle.  The controls feel "softer", and you don't need to push a special button to crawl.  In Band Land, you don't slide on the platforms.  There are far fewer "crossfire" situations with the lightning.  I found navigating the stages less frustrating - but still a little frustrating.

I noticed that when flying the bug, he can shoot, and I didn't realize this while reviewing the game on the Saturn.  That stage is much more enjoyable when you can shoot stuff.

Anyway, I am thinking about moving the Saturn grade back into the C range, which is what I originally was going to give it.  The Jaguar game is definitely above average for the system, which would probably settle it into the B range.

Hopefully when I make these changes people will stop thinking I've completely lost my mind.  Thoughts?  Comments?

Guy

Postby Guy » May 17th, 2009, 1:08 am

I agree that the Atari version is the best version.

McTom

Postby McTom » May 17th, 2009, 4:24 am

Why did you Rayman for the Jaguar A-? It's the same game...

gilly

Postby gilly » May 17th, 2009, 9:24 am

I suppose we will never agree on Rayman. I don't think any version of the game should score less then a B+, with your preferred version being a solid A.
I wonder how game critic feels about the nest two Rayman games?
I'm going to look up those scores. I think the 3-d sequals were NOT as good as this original 2-d side scroller which came out at a time when sidescrollers were on their death bead.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 17th, 2009, 11:27 am

Okay I have adjusted the grades slightly.  I raised the Saturn Rayman from a D to a C-.  I lowered the Jaguar Rayman from A- to B+. 

I hate to be wishy-washy, but I had to do something to address this apparent contradiction.  I understand some Rayman fans will still be unhappy but at least you will understand the method to my madness.

So why is there still a difference?  Well, the Saturn library is much stronger than the Jag's, and since I grade games relative to systems, that would probably account for one letter.  That makes it a B- versus a B+.  The remaining difference could be accounted for in the differences in the games.  They are basically the same game, but there are a number of things about the Jag version that make it a run-away favorite for me (outlined in a my previous post).

I hope that clears up some of the confusion.  Thanks for all the constructive feedback about this...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 17th, 2009, 1:12 pm

[QUOTE=Gleebergloben][QUOTE=Marriott_Guy]I noticed that two of the games were high-ticket items, with one receiving a low score.  I imagine it has got to be frustrating making the investment for an expensive game that doesn't pan out (= good gaming experience).  Does this happen often to you or do you have a significant network of gaming friends where you can borrow a game for review purchases and not expose yourself financially in this way?

Juest curious...
[/QUOTE]

Also, does the cost of the game reflect in the grade at all? I'm sure you try to block the price out of the equation, but if I pay 10 bucks for a game as opposed to 80 bucks, I think it could have some effect on grading.
[/QUOTE]

I do have a lot of gamer friends who will let me borrow an obscure ($$$) game for review on occasion.  The vast majority of the games I own however.  Pricing does not play a role in the overall grade, although I will often mention it in the review text since it's a obviously a huge factor for collectors.

I don't find it frustrating when an expensive game isn't very good.  I actually find some of the lesser games more interesting, and I enjoy pointing out their flaws in the reviews.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » May 17th, 2009, 5:57 pm

I know we'll never agree on Rayman considering I see as the best side-scroller since Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario World.

You should try the N64 version of Rayman 2 to while you're at it.

Gunstarhero

Postby Gunstarhero » May 21st, 2009, 6:07 am

I don't think you should have changed the Jaguar score. I agree with all your points on why the game is preferable on Jag compared to Saturn/PSX, and if you do score on a curve, I'd say that Rayman is just one slot below Tempest 2000 as best Jaguar game overall.

I owned the PSX version and there is certainly no 'massive' upgrade to be had, there is some serious exaggeration going on in this thread. Keep in mind the Jaguar version was in development exclusively for the Jaguar, for about a year and a half. It was in development so long that Ubisoft had time to feel the winds of change coming, and shifted resources to develop the game on Playstation and Saturn, which delayed the Jaguar version even longer. The non-Jag versions have extra fluff that was added that didn't improve the gameplay one iota, in some cases hindered gameplay. And the graphics are near identical across all 3 platforms.

I agree the game is tough as nails, but it was always fun to play regardless.

DanK

Postby DanK » May 22nd, 2009, 1:12 pm

Alright now onto the important issue...  Guardian Heroes is one of the best beat em ups i have ever played.  I was excited to see it come up on the main page and utterly shocked to see it receive any less than a B.  Are you sure you were playing it right, maybe you weren't  enjoying it correctly VGC?  If i might make one suggestion, not liking this game is a clearly defined sign of a serious mental illness, most likely schizophrenia.  You should immediately have yourself committed and make a commitment to your self to correct the glaring flaws in your personality and tastes that have given rise to this less than stellar review. 

With hopes for a speedy recovery your fan,

Dan

Return to “Review Feedback”