2009/8/9: Wii: Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2009/8/9: Wii: Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 9th, 2009, 4:32 pm

I think I rated these two higher than most other critics.

The Indiana Jones games might not look as good as a 360 game (duh), but I thought the game was fast moving and easy to play.

Onechanbara is the type of tougue-in-cheek game I can't resist, although I will admit it does get tiresome.

Please comment on these reviews.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » August 9th, 2009, 6:09 pm

Excellent reviews. This is why I'm a regular. I was on the fence about the Indiana Jones game, but your review has me wanting to pick it up, especially since it is $20 now at Gamestop. I really liked the Xbox Indy game back in the day, and this looks like a nice follow up to that.

-Rob

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » August 9th, 2009, 9:40 pm

Yep, great work. I was on the fence about Indy too, but you definitely sold me on the title.

Quiet Flight

Postby Quiet Flight » August 9th, 2009, 11:51 pm

I don't know if its worth mentioning but there are four playable characters. The four characters each have their own combat style.The later two unlockable girls are the most interesting. The one with the extend-able whip sword is the best.

steer

Postby steer » August 10th, 2009, 12:23 am

Are you sure Indiana Jones supports motion plus? I was under the impression it did not, and the peripheal is not backwards compatible. Maybe others here can clear that up?

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » August 10th, 2009, 8:27 am

Motion plus, essentially, allows the Wii to detect more types of motion.

But it also probably tightens up the detection of the "old" types of motion that the Wii could previously detect as well.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 10th, 2009, 4:22 pm

The Wii-Motion is backwards compatible with all Wii games.  I always use it because there are less control "hiccups", and the pointer seems to move more smoothly.

Algus1

Postby Algus1 » August 10th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Surprised Onechanbara got more than a D.  I bought both when I heard about them coming out because I was just so damn curious.

I've only actually played the 360 version.  I thought it was fun but got old fast.  I'm thoroughly convinced that the people responsible for localizing it intentionally did a bad job and that this game is secretly a brilliant parody of every bad game ever made.  I find myself agreeing with the assessment that it's good in small doses. 

steer

Postby steer » August 10th, 2009, 7:48 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Plus

There is a little article on motion plus, it confirms the sensor is not backwards compatible (I have read this other than wiki, but this was easiest to find....):

The device is only used by games that have been specifically developed to use its functionality. It can be left attached to the Wii Remote when playing games that do not support it without causing any problems, but it will not improve gameplay.

Here are the list of games that support it or will support it.

released in June 2009.[1][2][3] A Wii MotionPlus is also bundled as standard with the sports game collection Wii Sports Resort,[1][2][3] and is also available in limited edition versions of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (in Europe and North America) and Grand Slam Tennis (in Europe).[5] Red Steel 2 will also be bundled with a Wii MotionPlus upon release.[6] Other games with Wii MotionPlus functionality include Virtua Tennis 2009,[7] Kidz Sports - Crazy Mini Golf[8], Food Network: Cook or Be Cooked,[9] NHL 2K10,[10] Academy of Champions,[11] Gladiator A.D.[12], The Grinder[13], Span Smasher[14].

It is a different type of sensor thani s found in the wimote.

The device incorporates a dual-axis[15] "tuning fork" angular rate sensor,[16] which can determine rotational motion. The information captured by the angular rate sensor can then be used to distinguish true linear motion from the accelerometer readings.[17] This allows for the capture of more complex movements than possible with the Wii Remote alone.[18][19]

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » August 11th, 2009, 7:39 am

Well, I'm quite pleased to see Indiana Jones turned out well. I was expecting you to score it poorly. I'm probably not the only one who thinks the Wii could use more games of this sort.

Return to “Review Feedback”