4/8/2006: Nintendo 64: Cruis'n Exotica, Cruis'n USA, Cruis'n World

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2006, 11:10 am

Let us know what you thought of these reviews here.

Chris Marsh

Postby Chris Marsh » April 8th, 2006, 11:32 am

Why do people think that Cruis'n USA is so bad? I agree with your review, but many critics scorned this game when it was first released. I like that game and deserves the Player's Choice logo.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2006, 12:11 pm

[QUOTE=Chris Marsh]

Why do people think that Cruis'n USA is so bad? I agree with your review, but many critics scorned this game when it was first released. I like that game and deserves the Player's Choice logo.

[/QUOTE]

I think many critics fall in the trap of not reviewing the game for what it is, but what they were expecting it to be.  Since the N64 was supposed to have superior graphics to the Playstation, critics deduced Cruis'n would look and play better than Ridge Racer.  Since the game could never live up to those visuals, it was disparaged. 

It's like the modern critics who lash out against King Kong for not including a multi-player battle mode.  The game is an adventure for Pete's sake, and it kicks ass.  Don't try to make it another Halo.

Conn

Postby Conn » April 8th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Crus'n USA was one of my favourite racers, and I thank you for giving it a good score. I'm surprised it got a FOUR on IGN.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » April 8th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Well, you have to remember that the players' choice staus on Cruis'n USA is an indication that the game sold really well rather than it being considered as a good game.  Even so, I still liked it, and I liked the reviews of it and the other Cruis'n games, too.  Nice job once again, Mr. Critic. 

Gunstarhero

Postby Gunstarhero » April 8th, 2006, 4:47 pm

[QUOTE=Chris Marsh]

[/QUOTE]

I'm a pretty big fan of the N64, but IMO the Cruisin series did not translate well onto the N64. Compared to the arcade original, these home ports were very lackluster with the in-game graphics. If you look at the screenshots of these games, you would be fooled into thinking that Cruisin USA was graphically a direct port, but actually playing it the flaws really show up. I was disappointed with the backgrounds particularly, and the controls, while sharp, just aren't the same, but that could have to do with the lack of force feedback steering.

VGC, I recommend that you acquire and review Rush 2:Extreme Racing USA, and San Fransisco Rush: 2049 for the N64. Both of these titles are leaps and bounds above the lackluster Cruisin series in every department. I know you didn't like the original Rush, you gave it a C+, but if you like Cruisin, I can't see how you'd dislike the two Rush sequels. Expect much better graphics, audio, track design, car selections and customizations, and the best part, hidden items to unlock extra cars, car parts, and extra tracks. And in Rush 2049, those sluggish controls you hated about the first game shouldn't bother you here.

Chris Marsh

Postby Chris Marsh » April 8th, 2006, 7:58 pm

He has a review of Rush 2049 for Sega Dreamcast. He also has a short review of the game on Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for PS2.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2006, 11:25 pm

[QUOTE=Gunstarhero]

I know you didn't like the original Rush, you gave it a C+, but if you like Cruisin, I can't see how you'd dislike the two Rush sequels.

[/QUOTE]

The Rush reviews are forthcoming (they're pretty much done).  However, I think you mischaracterized my review when you said I "didn't like the original Rush".  When I give a game a C+, that means it's better than average, and therefore I really DID like the game.  Don't confuse me with those lame magazines who assign "average" grades to the worst games.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » April 11th, 2006, 6:17 pm

I had always written off the Cruisin games because they got universally slated by the N64 press at the time.  They were meant to be some of the worst games on 64 according to a couple of publications.  Might have to check one or two of them out now.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » April 24th, 2006, 11:42 am

"I also find it odd how the manual unfolds like a big poster. Was Nintendo trying to save money on staples?"

Well, I can explain the ideology behind that Cruis'n USA manual.  It folds out like that because it's supposed to be like a road map.  Not that it was a great idea, but that's why it unfolds like that.

Return to “Review Feedback”