4/17/2006: NES: Section Z, Spiderman Return of the Sinister Six, Zanac

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Tourian

Postby Tourian » July 23rd, 2006, 4:22 am

Thank you Critic for convincing me to buy Zanac.  It is so fast, furious, fun, slick, and smooth (no flicker or slowdown); I had an absolute blast playing it.  It joins Life Force as one of my favorite shooters on the NES, and one of the best I've played for any system.  It will only run you a few bucks on Ebay, so all shooter fans should grab it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 23rd, 2006, 12:05 pm

[QUOTE=Tourian]

Thank you Critic for convincing me to buy Zanac.  It is so fast, furious, fun, slick, and smooth (no flicker or slowdown); I had an absolute blast playing it.  It joins Life Force as one of my favorite shooters on the NES, and one of the best I've played for any system.  It will only run you a few bucks on Ebay, so all shooter fans should grab it.

[/QUOTE]

You're welcome!  The Video Game Critic strikes again.  Man I'm good.

Tourian

Postby Tourian » July 23rd, 2006, 4:34 pm

For the record, I don't play for score either.  I also don't play for endings.  I just like conquering games.

I bet one reason this game is overlooked is the terrible name.  The only thing it makes me think of is maybe I'll need to take my Zanac when my hand cramps up after playing it for too long.

Hey, I was reading gamefaqs and discovered this:

"Zanac, the game, reacts to the player's actions. In its simplest sense, a
player that is highly aggressive and wastes ammunition will face tougher
opposition as the System reacts as if it is facing a larger fleet."

Kit O'Connell, vulpine@pobox.com

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/zanac.txt 

(copy and paste, don't click the link)

Did anyone else know this?  If you're playing without a manual like me you should definitely check out this FAQ.  It gives lots of good tips and tells you things that you would never figure out on your own (like how to play "box roulette"). 

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » July 23rd, 2006, 4:52 pm

Yes I knew about the AI in Zanac, I pointed it out to my freinds back in the day. Every game was different!

ZANAC is not overlooked because of the name, that is silly...
XANAX and ZAXXON were both VERY popular games!

I miss this game...wish I had an NES! ):

Jake

Postby Jake » July 25th, 2006, 4:38 pm

Hey!! Zanac was a very old game for me, *early 90s* 

I don't rememeber where I baught it, or why,

but I thought it was pretty cool, especially when I would cheat or skip to a later level I remember shooting some

stone face ?, and out came power up's and missles which were very powerful and could solve the next levels without much fuss. I agree with its review , even if the game is on the difficult side. Best to use the cheats. Zanac is probably a part of my first 30 NES games.  

Return to “Review Feedback”