2010/5/5: Xbox 360: Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing with Banjo Kazooie

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 5th, 2010, 9:03 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen: I present to you review #3500!  Thanks goodness it's a good game.  In fact, this game comes perilously close to being a Mario Kart killer.  It's the real deal.

Now let's hear what you have to say.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » May 5th, 2010, 10:30 pm

One thing that annoys me a little is how your kart responds when you run into the railing on the edge of the courses. Sometimes your kart will just bounce off and barely even slow down, but there are also times when your kart will spin out and kill whatever momentum you had. It doesn't kill the game, but it just seems inconsistent.

Overall, it is one of the better Mario Kart clones. In fact it doesn't really do anything too much different from Mario Kart Wii, but thankfully the unique courses and the collection of Sega characters do manage to give it a personality of its own.

Josh

Postby Josh » May 5th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Yeah, I really like it.

But I do think the power-ups are really lacking. I like how they space the power-ups out a bit but some of them are a whole lot better than others. Also, it takes a while to understand what the power-ups actually do. If you could substitue Mario Kart type power-ups and knock out some of the 90 degree curves, it would be a MK killer . . . or at least an equal.

The courses, despite the sharp curves, are great though.

Maybe they will combine MK and Sega All-Stars like the did with the Olympic games next gen.

Orion Pimpdaddy

Postby Orion Pimpdaddy » May 6th, 2010, 11:47 am

If I buy this game, should I also by the Wii Wheel controller?  I've never used one, but it looks like it would cause cramping after a while.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » May 6th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Mario Kart 64 was the first to give a speed boost for drifting.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 6th, 2010, 7:24 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]Mario Kart 64 was the first to give a speed boost for drifting.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.  I will go back and correct the review.

NAC1

Postby NAC1 » May 6th, 2010, 8:38 pm

Awesome.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the game as much as I did. It's very nice to know that that there is a great kart racing game for the 360 now. I personally think that you nailed the good and the bad about the game, many of those Monkey Ball stages really threw me off at first. Congratulations on your 3500th review!

Orion, I personally don't use the plastic steering wheel. It is difficult to tell whether you have the wheel centered or not, since you're not actually hoding the Wiimote. What I prefer doing is taking the Wiimote and holding it sideways.

steer

Postby steer » May 7th, 2010, 1:05 pm

[QUOTE=NAC]

Orion, I personally don't use the plastic steering wheel. It is difficult to tell whether you have the wheel centered or not, since you're not actually hoding the Wiimote. What I prefer doing is taking the Wiimote and holding it sideways.

[/QUOTE]

I do not use the whiil for Mario Kart, however I find it very useful for the 'Excite' racing games, the landing mechanic in that game is well served by that peripheal. I estimate my proficency in the game is raised between 10 - 15% when using the whiil.

So if you intend to use the motion control for this game, the whiil may come in handy.

I may pickup Sonic Racing in the fairly near future.

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » May 8th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Congratulations on reaching this milestone! Here's to the next 3500!

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » May 9th, 2010, 12:51 pm

Good review Critic, well summed up.  I think this game managed to out-Mario Kart Mario Kart :-)  Although now that I think about it, I do think the special weapons were a little weaker than MK.  Let's face it, the special items in the MK franchise are the high water mark for call racing games with power ups. 

I can't imagine trying to play that with the Wiimote as a motion-based controller, whether it's stuck in that ludicrous plastic ring they laughingly call a 'peripheral' or otherwise.  If you're forced to play this on the Wii, your best bet (as is pretty much always the case with a Wii game) is to use it as a 'classic' controller.  But if you at all have the option, you'll want to get the 360 version.

Return to “Review Feedback”