4/28/2006: Xbox 360: Major League Baseball 2K6

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2006, 8:50 pm

We'd like to hear from you on this debacle.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » April 28th, 2006, 11:35 pm

Interesting review, but I think you may need to get the patch (it's available now) and play the game more if you want people to take it seriously. By the way, that's not to say that terrible bugs in games is acceptable, because it isn't (just ask anyone who played Enter The Matrix). 

Zen444

Postby Zen444 » April 29th, 2006, 1:10 am

I also played it critic.

You gave it the correct score.

See: Wrestlemania XXI for the X-box.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » April 29th, 2006, 4:50 am

That sounds pretty bad.

But I don't think patches are necessarily a bad idea, this is just an unfortunate by product.

It's impossible to make a game bug free but patches have been instrumental in removing exploits and problems in games which were good games to begin with but which would have made multiplayer online bad.  Ever since the original XBox where they patched up Moto GP to prevent shortcut cheating, it's been removing exploits which spoiled the game for people.

I think in this case it's more a problem of questionable developer practice rather than a problem with the system.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2006, 11:56 am

[QUOTE=Michael D]

Interesting review, but I think you may need to get the patch (it's available now) and play the game more if you want people to take it seriously. By the way, that's not to say that terrible bugs in games is acceptable, because it isn't (just ask anyone who played Enter The Matrix). 

[/QUOTE]

Michael,
As a software programmer, I know all about bugs.  I can overlook minor bugs.  But when you can't get past the second inning because your whole system locks up, that's unforgivable.  Add in the fact that I paid $60 for this broken game, which I can only exchange for another defective copy.  I'm resisting the patch on principle alone.
Dave

Koopa W>

Postby Koopa W> » April 29th, 2006, 4:38 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=Michael D]

[/QUOTE]

Michael,
As a software programmer, I know all about bugs.  I can overlook minor bugs.  But when you can't get past the second inning because your whole system locks up, that's unforgivable.  Add in the fact that I paid $60 for this broken game, which I can only exchange for another defective copy.  I'm resisting the patch on principle alone.
Dave
[/QUOTE]

Dave,

Try to trade it in at Gamestop. Just don't tell them it's broken.

Matt

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » April 29th, 2006, 4:42 pm

Gamestop/EB will take in broken products on trade-ins, but there's nothing broke about this game besides the programming.

Consoles are entering the online world, I don't think you can resist it forever. Plus I don't think you're getting the full experience your Xbox and Xbox 360 can provide by restricting yourself to offline.

Just bring your 360 downstairs (Or wherever your house has a wired broadband connection, forget the exact details on that wireless adapter thread you made), hook it up quickly using the free silver Xbox Live subscription, grab the patch, and return things back to where they were when you're finished. Can also update things like the Xbox emulator, and I suggest checking out the Xbox Live Arcade while you're at it.

Initial downloads of the patch seemed to cause people's consoles to occasionally stop working and display a red ring around the power button, but that issue was resolved I read last night after posting. So I wouldn't worry about what I posted.

Zen444

Postby Zen444 » April 29th, 2006, 5:25 pm

I don't remember having to download a patch or trade in my NES games over some bugs.

Oh wait... THEY STAMPED OUT 99.9% OF THE BUGS!

These days, it's, release the game after 2 plays, then fix it later.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » April 29th, 2006, 5:31 pm

You're a software programmer? I didn't know that. Well, then it's up to you not to get the patch, although in that case, maybe check out the current gen version of MLB 2K6 instead and review that. I heard it's supposed to be nowhere near as buggy as the 360 one... 

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » April 29th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Zen maybe that's because those platforms were real easy to program for.  Complexity on code projects these days is infinitely more challenging and difficult.  There's a widely held belief that no class with more than 300 lines of code can ever be bug free.

Return to “Review Feedback”