5/3/2006: Genesis: Ex-Mutants, Ms. Pac-Man, Pit-Fighter

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 3rd, 2006, 6:26 pm

Post your feedback here!

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » May 3rd, 2006, 7:33 pm

i dont think the genesis controller is the problem with ms pac man, its the development. they probably did it on the cheap and didnt play test the game much. when eugene jarvis created robotron, he spent months tweaking the controls. games rarely get that same dedication to gameplay anymore... or even in the 16 bit era apparently

Caf

Postby Caf » May 3rd, 2006, 8:15 pm

I did not find Ms Pac-Man on Genesis to be fun either due to the controls and the scaling which ruined the ability to see the whole maze.

idunnowhy

Postby idunnowhy » May 3rd, 2006, 9:33 pm

Ms Pacman always annoyed the crap out of me....I could never figure out if it was my fault for sucking or if there was seriously something wrong with the game.  Thanks for finally clearing that up!!

PS: unless the game is significantly more playable with a joystick controller, I'd say a "C" is far too generous...

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 4th, 2006, 3:41 am

First, Dave, thanks for more classic reviews! Love 'em!

But-disagree like #$@! with them! I cannot, cannot , CAN-NOT believe you gave a lower grade to the wonderful Ms. Pac. Man for Genny then the craptacular PIT FIGHTER (but here we go with the old SORCEROR/VENTURE argument again)- I always enjoyed the one and HATED pitfighter even as an arcade game-and no, I don't dislike fighters but THIS felt like two drunks falling on each other-the Genny version is worse-and most reviewers agree!
As for Ms. Pac- a C just because the control is a little iffy?! Ok, it doesn't deserve an A but a B- at least! This game is mega fun! As for contol: Get yourself a y-adaptor and hook up any standard atari stick to your genny (or find a safe spot and switch controllers fast!)-true you can't speed boost now but control is improved 100%! This is how I play and I made it to level 25. When a game like this is BETTER then the coin-op, I think it deserves some recognition for al the extras that went into it! (although in retrospect I guess I can see you getting some fun out of pit fighter and VCS Sorceror; after all I'm hooked on the "crappy" INTV Donkey Kong right now! )

Michael D

Postby Michael D » May 4th, 2006, 2:20 pm

As far as your problem with the Genesis controller with Ms. Pac Man is concerned, I'm wondering if you were using Sega's 6-Button pad to play it.  If so, I've heard of problems playing that particular game with it.  Apparently, they can be fixed by pressing the mode button as you turn it on, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, nice to see some Genesis reviews again.  I'd like to recommend two good Genesis games to you that haven't been reviewed yet: Ristar and World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.  I think they'd be right up your alley and I love them both.  

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » May 4th, 2006, 5:10 pm

DAVE DAVE DAVE>

Miss Pac-man is one of the few Genesis games where you MUST use the "mode" button to switch your 6-button controller to a 3 button controller.

By the sound of your review, you were using a 6-button controller without this knowlege, so of course the controls were wonky.

Dave, hold down "mode" on your controller, turn on your Genesis, when the Tengen logo pops up, let go of the button, play Miss Pacman and THEN try to tell me the controls suck.

Zen is very displeased with you

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » May 4th, 2006, 5:27 pm

It's actually called Ms. Pac-Man. I thought the SuperNes version was pretty good, but it never got the playtime that it deserved by me. I didn't notice any problems with the controls except the usual that every homeport of a Pac-Man game has had, 8 way controllers will never match the precision of a 4 way arcade joystick for these games.

With being careful and deliberate with my control inputs, I never noticed any problems with the SuperNes port (Which I'd have to think was identical to the Genesis version). Hopefully the suggestion in the post above helps.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 4th, 2006, 5:44 pm

I used the three-button controller, which I always use unless the game is made for six buttons.  I think the original controller was more comfortable.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 5th, 2006, 6:16 am

Dave: sorry for posting again, but while I've never had any problem with the pad (is yours working ok? As a tester I know
all pads get "floaty" after awhile)..do try using an atari joystick. An 8-pin din y adaptor is very easy to find, and even if you can't, play "slow" and park Ms.pac in a carner while you change the controller. Really, all pac-man games were made for joysticks and play much better with them (just thought of another fix-years of testing, I've come up with tricks-and a COLECOVISION controller actually can emulate the genesis buttons through certain pad combinations!-same thing with vectrex, if you have a vectrex, no control, plug in a CV controller!) Ms. Pac-Man was always a favorite arcade game of mine and this is THE best home port (SNES is ok, not as good though). Give it a chance!
WOKKA WOKKA WOKKA! C.....

Return to “Review Feedback”