5/5/2006: Nintendo DS: Metroid Prime Hunters, Tetris DS

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 5th, 2006, 5:20 pm

Was I right or wrong?  Post your feedback here.

hi there

Postby hi there » May 5th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Whats the point of comparing Metroid to big screen FPS'S, and why do you have to hold the DS in place?

And just to let you know, the DS can do N64 quality graphics.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 5th, 2006, 7:40 pm

My reactions to the new reviews:

Metroid Prime: Hunters Dave's grade: C My Grade: A-

I take a pretty strong opposing view to Dave's. Metroid Prime: Hunters is in fact "The Bomb." First, Nintendo (or whatever studio they hired to do this) squeezes every last drop of graphical power out of the DS. This game looks almost as good as the standard PSP title, yet of course the DS is much less powerful than that system. In addition, it is, in fact, revolutionary to achieve a fully functioning, competent FPS on a handheld, complete with online deathmatch and a solid single player campaign. There really isn't too many other examples of this being done. Sure, you have some Splinter Cell type stuff on the PSP, and you have those Doom remakes on the GBA. Those are cool, but I personally do not feel that these titles really bring the FPS experience together in the way that Metroid does.

What I'm most impressed with, however, is the single player campaign. Smartly designed, it eschews some of the usual Metroid back and forth searching for a more linear approach. Less "Metroidey," sure, but also better for a handheld. As to the save point issue, first, I'm not sure how many people realize that the DS has a standby mode. You just close that puppy, and it stands by, with its power light blinking. You open it up, and it restarts exactly where you left off. Sure, you can't swap out games, but you can at least put down the system and -do something else.- It eliminates the save point issue for me.

Tetris DS: Dave's Review: B- My review: B

I more or less agree with Dave here, though I like the title more. It's smart, well designed, and imaginative. I do think more credit should have been given for not just giving us another "Tetris Worlds" piece of crap. And the old school flavor is a joy. My problem with this game is, fun as it is, I'm not a puzzle game fanatic. I play em' for for a few minutes at a time and move on. So I won't hold that against this title and will give it a solid B. Yet another impressive app from the Big N.

Final note:

I agree with Dave on the Extreme, ridiculous skill of people you play against online. Do these people have jobs (probably not)? I'll never personally give a full "A" to a game with multiplayer until they learn to follow Bungie's example: Make a system that analyzes how good you are, and match you up accordingly. Or else you'll always play against "l33t" players who say things like, "I pwned you, u r teh suxor! 23432w943"

-Rob 

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » May 6th, 2006, 1:44 am

Maybe you omitted some game references for the sake of space, but Tetris DS also features Balloon Fight, Excitbike, Urban Champion, Punch Out, Clu Clu Land, and *maybe* other Nintendo titles(depends on if I can last longer then I currently do and find out).

Dave, I'll admit that some modes are throw-away......"Touch" and "Catch" are crap.

However...the fact that this is the first Tetris game in MANY years that isn't a butcher-job SHOULD count for something.

I really feel you should bump up the grade to a solid "B". Being such a nostigla treat for longtime NES fans and being the only Tetris game since the SNES days that isn't a butcher job, that counts for alot more then you seem to give credit for.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 6th, 2006, 6:21 am

Hey, ZEN-THANK YOU! WHAT HE SAID!

Critic, Tetris Ds is a great game and I'm glad you at least saw
the beauty of touch mode (and I, too, agree that not ALL the modes are great)...but you are forgetting something else (besides Zen's remarks)...the DS plays only GBA games and DS games. Most people I know only HAVE one handheld. So if they have DS and want to play Tetris, they can choose THIS gem, or-TETRIS WORLDS! (not
the worst tet ever but pale in comparison)-If a person wants a good puzzle game for the DS TETDS IS THE BEST!

For once we agree, though, Dave! I too thought M-P hunters was vastly over rated. It IS N-64 quality graphics but that really isn't saying much! I am sooo sick of FPS games anyway, my god, THATS WHY I HAVE A DS! Keep 'em on the cube, nintendo!

Boston

Postby Boston » May 6th, 2006, 7:00 am

Finally! The TRUTH! Metroid Prime Hunters is average at best. It stands out b/c there are so MANY mediocre titles on the DS right now and there are hardly any other action/FPS games out there. The grade is right on! By the way, the DS is NOT capable of doing N64 Graphics as it struggles to do any type of 3d. Also, the control configuration is terrible and is done much better on every other system (including the PSP).

Tetris deserves a C in my opinion. Some of the new modes are fun but I prefer the original. I thought I was the only one having problems with the online play. There must be people out there that devote their lives to playing Tetris b/c I was getting smoked all of the time.

Keep up the good work Dave and don't succumb to the Fanboys and change these grades! Good work!

Boston

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 6th, 2006, 8:23 am

"Make a system that analyzes how good you are, and match you up accordingly."

Mario Kart DS kinda does that. If you choose to battle "Rivals", you'll be up against people who have about the same win-loss percentage as you (most of the time, at least. It IS a tad dodgy). Works wonders, and all online games should have such a fuction.

Mr. O

Postby Mr. O » May 6th, 2006, 10:50 am

In Dave's review, he stated that the ghost piece was "new"...I'm pretty sure that I saw the same thing in Magical Tetris Challenge for the N64, a Disney themed Tetris game, and possibly other variations. The hard drop's been around for a while too.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 6th, 2006, 11:13 am

Boston:

From what I understand, the DS has the same power as the N64, but lacks the shading capabilities, so the polygons have less detail. It would have been nice to have those, but it is a small screen, so the detail isn't going to be appreciated anyway.

But I do not think the system struggles to do 3D. Does it struggle to do something like Half Life 2? Sure. But Mario Kart, Mario 64, and Metroid look terrific, and all of those titles easily look like N64 ports.

It sounds like the people hating on Metroid are people who are tired of FPS games in general. That's fine. But that's like saying Sonic sucks because you're tired of platformers. I don't want Dave to change his grade, he explains himself fine, I'm just offering a counterpoint.

-Rob

www.robhowarddesign.com

Johnson73

Postby Johnson73 » May 6th, 2006, 11:40 am

[QUOTE=Boston]

Finally! The TRUTH! Metroid Prime Hunters is average at best. It stands out b/c there are so MANY mediocre titles on the DS right now and there are hardly any other action/FPS games out there. The grade is right on! By the way, the DS is NOT capable of doing N64 Graphics as it struggles to do any type of 3d. Also, the control configuration is terrible and is done much better on every other system (including the PSP).

Tetris deserves a C in my opinion. Some of the new modes are fun but I prefer the original. I thought I was the only one having problems with the online play. There must be people out there that devote their lives to playing Tetris b/c I was getting smoked all of the time.

Keep up the good work Dave and don't succumb to the Fanboys and change these grades! Good work!

Boston

[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't see what the problem is with Metroid's control.  The game has other issues that Dave pointed out in his review, but I think using the thumbstrap gives it easily the best control of any handheld FPS, especially on a DS Lite.

The DS can do N64-quality graphics.  For example, compare Mario Kart DS to Mario Kart 64.  Obviously, Mario Kart DS looks quite a bit better.

Return to “Review Feedback”