5/5/2006: Nintendo DS: Metroid Prime Hunters, Tetris DS

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Conn

Postby Conn » May 6th, 2006, 1:55 pm

"By the way, the DS is NOT capable of doing N64 Graphics as it struggles to do any type of 3d."

Where do you keep getting this info from? Seriously? First it was the DS couldn't emulate SNES/Genesis games (despite the fact the GBA can). Now the DS can't produce 3D graphics? The Ds can produce slightly-better-than-N64-era graphics, but it can't do textures as well (but on a tiny screen nobody reall notices). Compare Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart 64, or Super Mario 64 DS and Super Mario 64.

"Also, the control configuration is terrible and is done much better on every other system (including the PSP)."

I don't see where you're coming from. Syphon Filter and Metroid Prime Hunters have the same control, except Syphon Filter gives you the option to use the horrible analog nub and Metroid allows you to use the touch screen.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 6th, 2006, 2:26 pm

Although I don't own N-64, my freind did and I tested many units. I personally think the DS may have a slight EDGE in graphics. MARIO64-DS looks smoother on the handheld.

As for Tetris Ds, first, someone missed my point. Although I am
a classic gamer and the "classic NES" touches won me over AND I love Touch Tetris, I would agree that the old gameboy Tetris Or
Tetris DX (for GBC) are as fun in terms of play. BUT YOU CAN'T PLAY THOSE GAMES ON THE DS!!!! (Thanks #$%! Nintendo!) ...so for
the DS this is still the best tetris.

And yeah, the shaded block and hard drop were in "tetris Worlds", the only other Tetris game (GBA) you CAN play on this unit (many HATE that game; I wouldn't say it sux hard but it does not equal the original or Tetris DS).

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » May 6th, 2006, 3:45 pm

"DS is NOT capable of doing N64 Graphics as it struggles to do any type of 3d."

The Nintendo DS is actually much more powerful than the N64. It's similar to how the GBA was more powerful than the SNES if you were to compare the specs. Both are obviously similar to each other, but the handhelds have more power under the hood.

The DS has shown that it can handle perfect ports of N64 titles, and for developers that aren't lazy such as Nintendo, versions with better graphics than their N64 counterparts (SM64 DS, Mario Kart DS). You don't even have to compare the specs if you actually played the games.

"Where do you keep getting this info from? Seriously? First it was the DS couldn't emulate SNES/Genesis games (despite the fact the GBA can)."

The GBA can't emulate those games effectively. The GBA struggles just to do full speed 2600 emulation. It can handle the NES well due to hardware similarities. As for the DS being able to emulate the SNES or Genesis, I really don't know.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 6th, 2006, 3:55 pm

God, are we having this arguement again?  I'm going to settle it once and for all:
The N-Gage is better than both.  I mean, the PSP and DS can't handle a decent phone call to save their lives and don't get me started on not being able to play either online on a moving bus.  Then you have the fact that for about a year and a half or so the N-Gage has had a library made up 85% or so of exclusives and not console ports of any kind.
There, I hope we can all now consider the argument well and truely resolved.  They both suck. 

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » May 6th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Yes, not only that, but when gamers see you playing an N-Gage, they marvel at your sheer intelligence and they feel jealous that they are stuck with a PSP or DS.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 6th, 2006, 4:54 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]Yes, not only that, but when gamers see you playing an N-Gage, they marvel at your sheer intelligence and they feel jealous that they are stuck with a PSP or DS.
[/QUOTE]
Yep, they know only an intelligent person could see through the industry hype and decide to buy the N-Gage.  Especially when I'm side talking -- side talking makes them green with envy. 

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » May 6th, 2006, 5:09 pm

Considering that the N-Gage is all but dead, it hardly matters now.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 6th, 2006, 6:17 pm

The N-Gage still has a community and has a nice collection of games.  The tech isn't dead it is just being reengineered by Nokia for better use in new phones.  N-Gage was an experiment.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 6th, 2006, 6:55 pm

[QUOTE=Leo Ames]

Considering that the N-Gage is all but dead, it hardly matters now.

[/QUOTE]
My whole post was a bit of a joke actually.  I love my N-Gage, DS, and GBA Micro, and if a good version of Zero Tolerance does come out for it, I'll probably end up liking the PSP as well.  I was attempting to make light of a fight that I thought we had had enough times already.

Boston

Postby Boston » May 6th, 2006, 7:08 pm

One other thing,

the control on Syphon Filter is much better. Use of the the analog stick (which I love) is much better then using the touch screen. It didn't take me 20 to 30 minutes to pick up the Syphon Filter control like it did with Metroid. I don't even want to compare the two games. I think this forum is meant to focus on the Critic's reviews, not the responses of his viewers.

Boston

Return to “Review Feedback”