Annual Halloween Game Review Special

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 29th, 2010, 5:42 pm

People always seem to enjoy this feature which I update every October.  This year I've incorporated several new games like Scooby Doo's Maze Chase (Intellivision) and Ghostbusters (PS3).  I hope to add more as the month progresses. 

I'm beginning to think that the format of this feature is looking a bit old, and may be in need of an update (for next year).   Comments and suggestions are welcome. 

Crimefighter

Postby Crimefighter » September 29th, 2010, 6:40 pm

What is new in that thing?

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » September 30th, 2010, 12:10 pm

I think there could be links at the top of each page of the special to take one to each console.

That said, I agree, a list of, or marker for new reviews added each year could be cool as well.

Neither was particularly important when this special started and there was less games in it, but as more games are added each year...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 30th, 2010, 6:21 pm

I added "NEW!" icons to the front of the few reviews I added to that.

jrallen811

Postby jrallen811 » September 30th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Critic, yea, I do love this special feature. I re-read a lot of the reviews every year to get in the mood. the only bad thing is it makes me want to play more games than I have time for....

john

Luke

Postby Luke » October 1st, 2010, 8:41 pm

Critic, weren't you originally going to add Deathsmiles to the list since there's an overwhelming Halloween theme throughout the entire game with lot's of organ music?

Also, no Doom??

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 1st, 2010, 10:14 pm

[QUOTE=Luke]Critic, weren't you originally going to add Deathsmiles to the list since there's an overwhelming Halloween theme throughout the entire game with lot's of organ music?

Also, no Doom??[/QUOTE]

Your Deathsmiles suggestion is valid.  I may have to add that.  Doom may be pushing it though...

Surge Protector

Postby Surge Protector » October 4th, 2010, 11:19 am

Your Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts review captured the experience of looking at the title screen so perfectly, that I felt chills. The word "Super" is undeniably an attempt at enhancing "Ghouls 'N Ghosts", with mixed results.

Did you ever play further? In case you didn't figure out the code, you have to enter: [Start].

Anyways, the question is whether changing everything except the main player sprite and a few of the weapons is enough to qualify a game as a sequel. As any Castlevania fan will tell you, the line is easily blurred, with many agreeing that the various remakes and enhancements of series defining favorite "Metroidvania" fail in any way to justify the price of the frequently released mission packs, so by that standard, with which I'm sure you advocate, I simply must agree with you.

On the other hand, there are those who can write novels about the subtle changes of sports games from year to year, and approach the task of reviewing them with the same seriousness one expects of wine tasting. For these critics, anything more involved than a text editor rom hack counts as a legitimate sequel, and so Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts stands on it's own two feet, even if those feet are nearly rotted away to maggot jell-o, and every 3 steps it's forced to slow down to a crawl...

I hope to hear your thoughts on the matter soon...

Luke

Postby Luke » October 4th, 2010, 3:11 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=Luke]Critic, weren't you originally going to add Deathsmiles to the list since there's an overwhelming Halloween theme throughout the entire game with lot's of organ music? Also, no Doom??[/QUOTE] Your Deathsmiles suggestion is valid. I may have to add that. Doom may be pushing it though... [/QUOTE]In Doom 3, you're fighting zombies and demons from hell. What seems to be the problem? You've already got Painkiller: Hell Wars on the list, which is basically a Doom & Quake rip-off.

a1

Postby a1 » October 4th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Yeah I think the whole Doom series is pretty Halloweeney so I don't see why it shouldn't be added.

Return to “Review Feedback”