Super Mario Kart

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Blueguy93

Super Mario Kart

Postby Blueguy93 » April 2nd, 2011, 9:16 pm

I think the critic might be right about Mario Kart 64.

I love the game, and I have so many memories from it, but the control isn't as good as Diddy Kong Racing's. Having the racers catch up to you almost defeats the purpose of this game. Red Shells almost always run into walls in this game, and you can't fire them behind you! The user interface in Yoshi Valley is messed up; you can't even see who's winning on the screen!!! This is why I prefer Diddy Kong Racing to this game, although this is slightly better for multiplayer.

That said, thanks to the game's cool shortcuts and diverse stages, it's flaws aren't enough to ruin the fun. I think I might make a review on this game.

T. Mario Kart Guru

Super Mario Kart

Postby T. Mario Kart Guru » April 3rd, 2011, 12:03 am

Whoa whoa ur tellin me slow,clunky,dragging Diddy Kong Racing is better?

Also the lack of user interface in Yoshi Valley is a good thing,it's a labrynth and adds challenge

Also as I pointed out,just about every problem with the Mario Kart series was blamed on 64,when all of them have those problems. 

Every Mario Kart except 64 has an A- on the ground of "A never tiring formula" and gave Super Circuit an A on the grounds of "new eapons" which came from 64. Sorry Critic Triple Shells did not start at Super Circuit,AI was far worse in the original,The shell is a Blue Shell/Spiny Shell. NOT a purple shell,not a special shell.

Also the whole review is about 5 sentences long and says nothing about the tracks,except a rant against the Rainbow Road [fair enough it is too long and boring] and how long they are [that's also a scapegoat against the 3D Mario Karts].

Also the review was written in 2000,the whole series should be re-reviewed soon becuase Mario Kart 3DS is soon anyway.

Leo1

Super Mario Kart

Postby Leo1 » April 3rd, 2011, 12:04 am

[QUOTE=T.Mario Kart Guru]Take your pick people,lose from

Ridiculous item chances and timing [The original]
[/QUOTE]

Rodiculous item chances and timing? I'm not even sure what you're saying here. I can pretty regularly get a red shell in this game with proper timing, even from first place. And of course you don't get something like a lightning bolt in 1st place. That goes for any Mario Kart game.

I don't see either one as being a fault for this game. It's just that the AI is very fast on 150cc and don't rely on the same item location pickups as the player.

Those two facts, along with the player not having access to the special character items and limited RAM of the SuperNes (I hate how items disappear in battle mode when the playfield gets busy) are about the only complaints I can think of.

Super Mario Kart is a great game that came closer to perfection than any of the subsequent releases.

T. Mario Kart Guru

Super Mario Kart

Postby T. Mario Kart Guru » April 3rd, 2011, 12:17 am

Okay that wasn't well worded at all Leo,my apologies

I mean the AI always conveniently manages to slip fireballs,shells,shrinking mushrooms right when you're about to pass them,or they fall so close in front you'll hit the items and be stopped dead,shrunken,or spinning,and you couldn't make a turn.

It's ridiculous the AI always manages to have just one item,alright they don't rely on the panels,but it would be nice to be near Mario and idk have to deal with a shell or banana peel for once,instead he always has a star. 64 and present the enemy obeyed the item rules to the hilt.

Snesfreak

Super Mario Kart

Postby Snesfreak » April 3rd, 2011, 4:04 am

...but 64 had the annoying feature of rubber banding opponents who could catch up after you take them down even when they don't pass an item block.
You can see for yourself that this is true in the DS version by looking at the map below. You see them drop back a tiny bit...then...boingoingoingoingoing!!!

I would prefer the small problems of the SNES version over the later versions any day because of this. Although you're right about the item annoyance T. Mario Kart Guru, 150cc can see myself stuck behind that stubborn player who's usually in second place who has a huge arsenal of deadly mushrooms and starmen.

steer

Super Mario Kart

Postby steer » April 3rd, 2011, 8:08 am

D+   MK SNES - unplayabled dur to horrible mode 7 graphics

C-  MK64 - chunky N64 graphics mixed with sprites, boring courses, lame control

B+ - MKDS - ok game, nice graphics for the DS at least, some good courses, very good control

A  - MKDD - great graphics, great courses, excellent control - 16 cup tour great fun

A -MKWii - great graphics, great carts, excellent courses, tons of strategy and racing techniques, control very good, but a step back from double dash, awesome online

So - there you have it!

T. Mario Kart Guru

Super Mario Kart

Postby T. Mario Kart Guru » April 3rd, 2011, 11:56 am

My point about 64 is it gets blamed for all the problems in others as well.

If you hate it for Rainbow Road,fine. If you hate how much the AI rubber bands alright. As long as DS is acknowledged for the same thing.

Truthfully SNESFreak I want to agree,except I can forgive the AI far more because of the shortcuts to make up for it [Rainbow Road,Kalimari Desert,etc.] and in later games I can forgive 64 simply because the Spiny Shell is a lot more fair [As in it doesn't fly and explode but hurts everyone].Can't forgive the original for those small problems because nothing makes up for it

And actually Blueguy you can send shells backward,it's awkward but possible.

Truthfully I'd consider them all A material [okay all of them except the Arcade]. My least favorite would have an A- at worst

Blueguy93

Super Mario Kart

Postby Blueguy93 » April 3rd, 2011, 4:55 pm

[QUOTE=T. Mario Kart Guru]
And actually Blueguy you can send shells backward,it's awkward but possible.
[/QUOTE]

Really? How can you?

T. Mario Kart Guru

Super Mario Kart

Postby T. Mario Kart Guru » April 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm

If I remember correctly it's Z/C Down while tilting the control stick backwards like how you'd do it in Super Circuit or DS only with the thumbstick not D-Pad

bigllama

Super Mario Kart

Postby bigllama » April 3rd, 2011, 9:05 pm

[QUOTE=T. Mario Kart Guru]If I remember correctly it's Z/C Down while tilting the control stick backwards like how you'd do it in Super Circuit or DS only with the thumbstick not D-Pad[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can also throw your bananas ahead of you if you press up on the thumbstick and Z at the same time.  The N64 spiny shell is less cheap, 'cause unless you fire it straight, it'll hit a wall and die.  It is possible to avoid by using the jump that initiates a drift apparently, but you have to time it perfectly, which is pretty much impossible to do.  I also like how if you're going straight and hit a banana, you can press B immediately after to prevent yourself from spinning out.  

Return to “Review Feedback”