Super Mario Kart

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
nesfan1

Super Mario Kart

Postby nesfan1 » April 3rd, 2011, 11:07 pm

Actually, I'm pretty sure to fire a shell backwards, you just have to move the thumbstick backwards and fire. There's no reason to press any C button.

T. Mario Kart Guru

Super Mario Kart

Postby T. Mario Kart Guru » April 3rd, 2011, 11:39 pm

Also you can use the Fake Item Box to block other items in 64,at the cost of throwing it forward sadly.

Still I can't help but wish The Extra Mode meant split-screen with optional Rear View mode

T. Mario Kart Guru

Super Mario Kart

Postby T. Mario Kart Guru » April 4th, 2011, 12:36 am

The Down C button triggers the item,like the Z button. Last I checked items don't launch themselves with just a direction

The Z button just happens to be a lot more memorable becuase it's under the thumbstick

bigllama99

Super Mario Kart

Postby bigllama99 » April 4th, 2011, 12:41 am

[QUOTE=nesfan]

Actually, I'm pretty sure to fire a shell backwards, you just have to move the thumbstick backwards and fire. There's no reason to press any C button.

[/QUOTE]

You can use C down or Z as your fire button.

Snesfreak

Super Mario Kart

Postby Snesfreak » April 4th, 2011, 3:00 am

so, steer, you're trying to say that advanced graphics makes a better game?
Not necessarily...

steer

Super Mario Kart

Postby steer » April 4th, 2011, 6:40 am

[QUOTE=Snesfreak]so, steer, you're trying to say that advanced graphics makes a better game?
Not necessarily...
[/QUOTE]

No I am saying bad graphics that make you motion sick can destroy a game.

The original Star Fox is the best in the series in terms of design, music, length, difficulty and even has pretty good control despite having the d pad disadvantage for a 3d game.

BUT -

Ii has poor frame rate, terrible draw distance, sprites mixed with polygons ....I do not mind the low poly game models, its the REST that hamstring the game, and that is with Super FX chip....

Mode 7 is horrible, and I think even most 2-d SNES games look unappealing. Lets face it - say Mario 3DS is built with Mode 7 - the outcry is loud and clear - we will not buy this - then where are the MK SNES fans? All this talk about 3DS ruining eyes from some people here - you guys should be more concerned with your Mode 7, those who think the SNES is hot sauce. 3DS gives me zero eye strain, Mode 7 makes my eyes bleed and my stomach churn.

I do not bias game because they are 'old' but I do not cut them free pass either...

Josh

Super Mario Kart

Postby Josh » April 4th, 2011, 10:24 am

steer,

Are you playing SMK on a HDTV? If so, yeah I can understand your dislike for its graphics and mode 7 use. I downloaded it for the Wii and was shocked at how horrible and unplayable it was on a HDTV.

But it wasn't designed for that. If you play it on a SDTV it looks and plays great.

I've played a lot of MK's and SMK is still my favorite. I hate the use of goofy items like Blue Shells to keep the race close. I prefer the rubber band AI over that stuff any day. Although I do admit, opponents on 150cc can be downright evil.

T. Mario Kart Guru

Super Mario Kart

Postby T. Mario Kart Guru » April 4th, 2011, 1:02 pm

After the Feather was decided a GameBreaker and discontinued,the only thing giving a player any shot at first place was the Blue Shell,that was back when the Blue Shell stayed on the ground and destroyed everyone in its path before finally crashing at first. That allowed anyone in 8th to slide by since the Feather no longer gave super jumps.

Then the Blue Shell became the Spiny Shell that flew which skipped everyone except the first guy.

If we want a Mario Kart w/out the Blue Shell the Feather has to return.

Oltobaz1

Super Mario Kart

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 4th, 2011, 2:26 pm

[QUOTE=steer][QUOTE=Snesfreak]so, steer, you're trying to say that advanced graphics makes a better game? Not necessarily... [/QUOTE] No I am saying bad graphics that make you motion sick can destroy a game. The original Star Fox is the best in the series in terms of design, music, length, difficulty and even has pretty good control despite having the d pad disadvantage for a 3d game. BUT - Ii has poor frame rate, terrible draw distance, sprites mixed with polygons ....I do not mind the low poly game models, its the REST that hamstring the game, and that is with Super FX chip.... Mode 7 is horrible , and I think even most 2-d SNES games look unappealing. Lets face it - say Mario 3DS is built with Mode 7 - the outcry is loud and clear - we will not buy this - then where are the MK SNES fans? All this talk about 3DS ruining eyes from some people here - you guys should be more concerned with your Mode 7, those who think the SNES is hot sauce. 3DS gives me zero eye strain, Mode 7 makes my eyes bleed and my stomach churn. I do not bias game because they are 'old' but I do not cut them free pass either... [/QUOTE]

"We would buy this. Didn't we buy the GBA?"^^

Snesfreak

Super Mario Kart

Postby Snesfreak » April 4th, 2011, 2:32 pm

Well, maybe I should shock everyone with my score list:

SNES mario kart: A+ brilliant, excellent racing formula and secure foundation for the later versions. Clever use of mode 7 and the best battle mode to date makes this unmissable.

N64 mario kart: B- Meh, not nearly as good imo. lazy non polyganal rendered sprites and awkward drifting controls hamper the fun factor for this one. Nice tracks though.

GBA mario kart: B+ A nice comeback from what I've heard returning to the stylings of the SNES.

GC mario kart: A- wierd, but with new improved drifting and superb tracks.
Unfortunately this also introduced the form of blue shell we love to hate.

DS mario kart: A great game with the best controls to date and an awesome new online function.

WII mario kart: C+ deeply shocking, a huge dissapointment and not what I expected from this series. Poor new items, abysmal new characters and the worst battle mode ever in the series. Why isn't this a D? The best online so far just saves it and increased its lifespan by 1300%... or in other words just a fortnight. Had the AI actually been tested with other problems fixed, this game could have scraped a B+.

Not too much attacking please, this is my opinion!

Return to “Review Feedback”