6/10/2006: Nintendo DS: New Super Mario Bros., Super Princess Peach, Wario Ware Touched

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Johnson73

6/10/2006: Nintendo DS: New Super Mario Bros., Super Princess Peach, Wario Ware Touched

Postby Johnson73 » June 10th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Great reviews.  I might give Mario and Wario slightly lower grades than what you gave them, but the context of your reviews was pretty much dead-on.  I would have to say that Mario really is too easy, not only because of the toned-down difficulty in general, but also becuase of the excessive amount of 1-ups the game gives you.  But I do agree that some people are making too big of a deal about its length.  The game kept me busy for quite a while beating it, getting 100%, playing multiplayer, and then going through it all again.  Good job overall.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » June 10th, 2006, 10:52 pm

I haven't played the other two titles yet, but TNSMB is totally an A+. Nintendo is simply better than most in designing great games. That's not bias, that's a simple fact. Between Mario, Zelda, and Metroid (and even quasi spin offs like Mario Kart and WarioWare) have no real duds, whereas almost every other major game franchise with multiple iterations has stinkers in the mix.

They have Miyamoto, one of the best designers in the biz, and Koji Kondo, also one of the best musicians, and of course some of the best artists and programmers in Japan.

-Rob

www.robhowarddesign.com

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » June 10th, 2006, 11:10 pm

[QUOTE=Boston]

As far as I am concerned any game you can blow through in 3 hours or less doesn't deserve an A+. Boston

[/QUOTE]

So I take it you really hate fighting games, since you can "beat" the game in 15 minutes.  And old school shooters for that matter, since most of those can be completed in an hour.  of course what I'm getting at here is that the fun of these style of games is in the re-play and get everything not just one run through.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » June 11th, 2006, 1:23 am

[QUOTE=feilong80]

I haven't played the other two titles yet, but TNSMB is totally an A+. Nintendo is simply better than most in designing great games. That's not bias, that's a simple fact. Between Mario, Zelda, and Metroid (and even quasi spin offs like Mario Kart and WarioWare) have no real duds, whereas almost every other major game franchise with multiple iterations has stinkers in the mix.

They have Miyamoto, one of the best designers in the biz, and Koji Kondo, also one of the best musicians, and of course some of the best artists and programmers in Japan.

-Rob

www.robhowarddesign.com

[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression Miyamoto was more a of a figure head now than anything.  Does he still have a big hand in actually developming the games?

Conn

Postby Conn » June 11th, 2006, 2:48 am

Personally I think NSMB isn't A+ worthy (though definetly A- or A), but to each his own. Of course, I had been playing Mario World and Yoshi's Island before New Super Mario Bros., so that might have affected my judgement (since really, NSMB didn't have Luigi, flying power-ups, Kuribo's Shoe and the like).

SPP and Wario Ware are spot on, though.

VG-Robot

Postby VG-Robot » June 11th, 2006, 2:51 am

I think the NSMB review was spot on. If you lower the score for length or difficulty, you obviously haven't played a mario game in a long time. There are EIGHTY stages in NSMB. EIGHTY. Does that sound like a short mario game to you?
Of course you can beat it in three hours. That's why there are two hidden WORLDS, and a multitude of hidden stages and secrets.
How can you say it's short? It is meant to be played and enjoyed, and then to be PLAYED and enjoyed even more when you discover all the secrets.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » June 11th, 2006, 3:53 am

Wow, it is not yet 4 AM, and I got to this party LATE!!!

Yes! NSMB Gets an A+! Boston, the original SMB was an A+ game in its day (there are enough SMB carts out there to eclipse the sun!-so I'm not the only one who thinks this) and it was MUCH easier and just as short as NSMB. The warp zones in the old game were very obvious and you could whiz through to world 8-4 in what, I think the record is 12 minutes now? Nintendo was smart to be faithful but made the warps MUCH tougher to find, plus included the bonus stuff for replay value! I don't have 3 hours straight to play a game; it has taken me a week just to get halfway through without warps! I never played PEACH, not sure I want to now! Warioware-I'd give this an A critic, you seemed to not like the intermissions, but they can be skipped just like WW by pressing A. Other then that, right on!

Boston

Postby Boston » June 11th, 2006, 5:36 am

Hey Sega I agree with you. I don't really get into playing the same game over and over. I mean, once you beat a game and you know all or most of the secrets what is the point? The game is already too easy and once you know the secrets you can finish it blindfolded. I don't think you can finish most fighting games in 15 minutes and to tell you the truth I really don't get into them anyway. Keep in mind that I wasn't really harking on the quality of the game which I think is good; I was really just calling the VGC out on a misleading (IMO) review.

Boston

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » June 11th, 2006, 7:45 am

Come on, now, New Super Mario Bros isn't THAT easy. It's harder than Super Mario World (partly because you can often fly over everything potentially dangerous in SMW... never liked the cape and the leaf in the Mario games).

I think you gave Wario too high a grade, though. Sure, it's a fun and original game, but a lot of the stages involve doing the same thing over and over and over (Mike's stage is the greatest offender here). Its a huge step down from earlier Wario Ware games, and I was somewhat disappointed with it.

YoshiXP

Postby YoshiXP » June 13th, 2006, 5:50 pm

To boston, regarding the game's lenghth and difficulty

To steal a line from the IGN review for NewSMB, "Who plays a Mario Game at bare minumim?" And that line describes the entire game. NewSMB isn't meant to be whipped through. There is a TON of stuff in it. Some stages are fun enough to go back. It took me 3 hours myself to complete the game by speeding. BUT, I hadn't unlocked worlds 5 and 7 at that point. I speant hours trying to beat those two worlds.

Then there are the secret exits and secret levels. The game is filled with secrets themselves, levels being one of them. Worlds 5 and 7 are like the bonus worlds filled with the secret levels. Plus there are Warp Cannons (which are very hard to get to), Hidden blocks and vines, hidden areas of the levels. I could go on. To find every secret in NewSMB would take weeks, maybe months for some. And I didn't even talk about the star coins. These star coins can be very hard to get to. Sometimes they require complicated jumping and timing. Other times it needs some thinking. But one way or another, finding all 240 star coins is one of the most challenging things I have encountered in a SMB game. Yes, I mean "is." I'm not even half done with the Star Coins and it has taken me days.

The multiplayer is pretty good. If you have a freind with a DS, the multiplayer is a lot of fun. Its similar to SM64 DS's multiplayer, but it has more action and is in SideScrolling mode. Someone once said it can resemble Smash Bros if you try to knock each other off the stage. I have to try that. Plus there are the minigames. While most of them are recycled from SM64DS, they are featured in Wireless play.

NewSMB has unlimited replay value. You play the main game in 4 hours or less, and spend roughly 50-100 hours trying to find every last secret in the game.

Return to “Review Feedback”