2011/8/10: Saturn: Daytona USA, Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition, Scorcher

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2011/8/10: Saturn: Daytona USA, Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition, Scorcher

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 10th, 2011, 8:46 pm

I posted three new Saturn reviews for you to critique.  Both Daytona games have been downgraded in terms of grades.

That first Daytona game has its problems, but I seem to play it a lot, so it can't be all that bad.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » August 10th, 2011, 8:51 pm

the music is sobaditsgood that when i play ridge racer on the playstation, i like to put in the daytona saturn game after ridge racer is loaded into the playstation memory and use daytona music on ridge racer.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » August 10th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Being a HUGE fan of the Daytona USA series and still playing it wherever I can, let me point out a few things --

1) The statue on the Expert course should read "Jeffry", that is the Virtua Fighter character.

2) "Enemy" is Japanese speak for "rival" (used interchangably) or opponent in competitive-type games. Just a poor translation.

3) The Japanese lounge singer is still retained on the Dreamcast version, which is probably the definitive port, as you get all 5 tracks from the Champion Edition plus 3 DC-exclusives and tons of cars to choose from. Graphics are much better too. Aint nothing wrong with feeling "Sky High".

Methinks the Dreamcast Daytona USA needs a re-review!

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » August 10th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Also, "GOAL" is a Japanese way of saying "FINISH". You can see it on Virtua Racing and many other Japanese-originated racing games.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » August 10th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Man alive, I love Daytona USA.  And that's coming from a guy who was a Nintendo Super-Fan-Boy growing up.  Nevertheless.... Daaaaytooonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Luke

Postby Luke » August 11th, 2011, 2:36 am

I find it interesting how only days ago the Critic wrote about how much he enjoys arcade-style games (Sega was mentioned in particular) and how they need to come back.

However, today he writes this...

"With its chunky scenery, rampant draw-in, wacky physics, and cheesy soundtrack, Daytona USA may be the most hilarious racing game of all time."

...and then gives it a pretty lousy grade.

Hmm. I dunno. I just find that "interesting."

Mik

Postby Mik » August 11th, 2011, 3:12 am

I actually love Daytona in all its incarnations, and I don't think the "so bad it's good" definition fits here. First, I found the steering very responsive (even with the d-pad) and sliding is actually the only way to make it through the race, you just have to know how to do it. In example, you shouldn't brake whenever you feel like it, but like in real life, only when approaching the turn and without keeping the gas on. Second, I think the music is really brilliant, although a little cheesy, but adds to the heat. And the singer in Championship Edition is Eric Martin (Mr. Big's lead voice), so your "hair band" feeling is indeed a wanted effect. Last, if you ever played Daytona at the arcade (and I think you should, since experts agree in considering it one of the most played cabinets ever) you'll probably realize this is a good conversion. Not great, but the hardware was still young and the original game is so downright complex that looks good even now in 2011 (actually, a friend of mine collects arcade games, and I played Daytona by his place a couple of week ago, and I confirm it's still a joy to see and play).

I think Video Game Critic is a really nice site, and I particularly like the short reviews and the high number of games discussed, but sometimes you just seem to underrate or take a rushed look of some important games. Great site, though, keep up with the good work!

Mik

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » August 11th, 2011, 4:56 am

I was surprised that the Scorcher review focused on and emphasized the originality and competent audio and visuals so much, over the bad control that ultimately earned it a very bad score.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 11th, 2011, 1:11 pm

While I respect fans of all systems, I don't get the Saturn. Compared to the Playstation, it did not do 3D games half as well, and I think PSX 2D games like IN THE HUNT and RAYMAN look as good or better than the Saturn versions. I bought a Saturn for $99 because a video store was disposing of the Saturn games at $2 a pop and it was too good a deal to pass up.

As with my CV, I am in the process of passing on my Saturn to someone else now. For awhile I kept it just to play DARIUS but now I have all the Darius games for other systems. The person I'm giving it to is a SATURN nut, so it will get a good home.

I think Sega released three stop-gap systems, the Sega CD, 32X and Saturn, none good enough to compete with other contemporary systems. The Genesis beat the pants off TG-16 and Dreamcast was FANTASTIC, but those three mistooks were segas downfall!

Julio III

Postby Julio III » August 11th, 2011, 3:36 pm

I think you are the only person I know who rates the Champion Edition higher than the original Saturn port - which is widely held as being closest to the arcade version in playability. The Championship Edition doesn't have a sense of speed at all and the controls are wrong. The original Saturn port plays excellently and is great fun. Its a big step down from the arcade in terms of graphics, but playing it as a retro game anyway the graphics are never going to be good. The Saturn port is much better than the ridiculous Dreamcast version.

Return to “Review Feedback”