2011/9/27: Intellivision: Donkey Kong Arcade

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
soporj1

Postby soporj1 » October 1st, 2011, 2:32 pm

[QUOTE=Mr.Robert S.]

Just a personal opinion, you were a little generous with this one. I find that it was a little dissopointment in the control department, a little stiff. The graphics, are kind opf weird, the bonus items one solid color. And the place of the score and timer.

[/QUOTE]

Based on the capabilities of the Intellivision, I think your "personal opinion" is 100% wrong.

This is an amazing game that pushes the system to its limits.

DJC1

Postby DJC1 » October 1st, 2011, 10:06 pm

[QUOTE=Mr.Robert S.]

Just a personal opinion, you were a little generous with this one. I find that it was a little dissopointment (sic) in the control department, a little stiff. The graphics, are kind opf weird, the bonus items one solid color. And the place of the score and timer.

[/QUOTE]

Have you seen the original Donkey Kong for Intellivision??

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » October 2nd, 2011, 11:10 am

just amazing what this person did with donkey kong. four screens, the intermission. wow.

Leo brought up this question in a previous thread, and i have the same question. on the third screen, the vertical bar for the elevator flickered off and on (as flickering tends to do) a ton. Guy said there was no flickering.

Does the vertical bar for the elevator flicker? and if not, why did the promotional vid show otherwise?

this game is just another reason to break out the ol' INTV.

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » October 2nd, 2011, 1:02 pm

[QUOTE=Mr.Robert S.]

Just a personal opinion, you were a little generous with this one. I find that it was a little dissopointment in the control department, a little stiff. The graphics, are kind opf weird, the bonus items one solid color. And the place of the score and timer.

[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, it's Intellivision. Did you expect an arcade perfect "Donkey Kong" on a console that came out in 1979? What you describe as flaws are why retro gamers are interested in the first place. They want to play an Intellivision game. Otherwise they could just use MAME.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » October 2nd, 2011, 7:13 pm

Just so you're aware, the Wii review index is showing Donkey Kong Arcade for the Intellivision as the latest review for that platform.

Carl Mueller, Junior

Postby Carl Mueller, Junior » October 3rd, 2011, 6:09 am

The elevator cables do not appear to flickeron a real system with a tube television (non-flatscreen). This has to do with refresh rates. It won't look perfect on an emulator either.

Anyone complaining about the graphics should do their homework on Intellivision hardware

… The system has *8 sprites*. Anything not composed of multiple sprites, will always be one color. The background cards can have only one foreground color as well.

I can't believe anyone bought who wouldn't already be prepared to appreciate it for what it is.

Those who are enjoying it, happy to hear it. Thanks. Carl

A anyone complaining about the graphics nyone complaining about the graphics

Mr.Robert S

Postby Mr.Robert S » October 3rd, 2011, 3:52 pm

Carl just to adress your quote

" can't believe anyone bought who wouldn't already be prepared to appreciate it for what it is."

I appreciate your port, nice peice of work. But it STILL could have been a little bit better. the controls feel stiff. And the score, bounus, and lives count is in a weird position. OPCODE games next year realease opf the super expansion module on the colecovision and their donkey kong port might actually beat this one. But anyways, I purchased it, its a nice little port, a work of art.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » October 3rd, 2011, 9:12 pm

[QUOTE=Mr.Robert S]

Carl just to adress your quote

" can't believe anyone bought who wouldn't already be prepared to appreciate it for what it is."

I appreciate your port, nice peice of work. But it STILL could have been a little bit better. the controls feel stiff. And the score, bounus, and lives count is in a weird position. OPCODE games next year realease opf the super expansion module on the colecovision and their donkey kong port might actually beat this one. But anyways, I purchased it, its a nice little port, a work of art.
[/QUOTE]

Each of your posts is more ridiculous than the last.

Jake

Postby Jake » October 4th, 2011, 1:06 am

[QUOTE=soporj][QUOTE=Mr.Robert S.]

[/QUOTE]

Based on the capabilities of the Intellivision, I think your "personal opinion" is 100% wrong.

This is an amazing game that pushes the system to its limits.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed on pushing the system limits, but if someone feels the controls weren't perfect, then saying a LITTLE generous isn't the worst opinion or 100% wrong....

... but, the colors on Intellivision games, are mostly in one color that's not a problem to see that with DK, that's just how the system is.

Jake

Postby Jake » October 4th, 2011, 1:15 am

[QUOTE=DJC][QUOTE=Mr.Robert S.]

Just a personal opinion, you were a little generous with this one. I find that it was a little dissopointment (sic) in the control department, a little stiff. The graphics, are kind opf weird, the bonus items one solid color. And the place of the score and timer.

[/QUOTE]

Have you seen the original Donkey Kong for Intellivision??
[/QUOTE]

The original is pretty rough around the edges, but even that one is fun, when you learn a few tricks,...

STOP moving if you grab the hammer... the boulders wont go under and
hit you.
When jumping, jump a tad sooner then you think you need to and your jump will clear nearly everytime. I like to sit still, and jump over the boulders when needed...
so I get a better feel for timing them.

I got over 100ks on Intellivision DK. Without my learnings, I'd only get a score of about 6ks.

Return to “Review Feedback”