2012/3/14: Genesis: B.O.B., Flashback, Trouble Shooter

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 14th, 2012, 7:14 pm

Check out the new Genesis reviews.  B.O.B. is brand new.  I like this game.  Is the SNES version worth checking out too?

Flashback and Trouble Shooters are updated reviews. 

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » March 14th, 2012, 8:11 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic] B.O.B. is brand new.  I like this game.  Is the SNES version worth checking out too?[/QUOTE]

Never played the Mega Drive version, but from what your review says and what the picture shows, they seem to be pretty identical.

As for issues with Flashback, how about the poorly paced distribution of passwords? While the latter levels are short and sweet enough, the first two (particularly the second, but you'll spend a lot of time making very slow progress on level 1 while you're still learning how the game plays) are way too long for their own good. There are respawn points all over the place, and you have infinite lives anyway, so why do you have to devote multiple hours to playing the eternally-long level 2 in its entirety instead of getting a couple passwords along the way?

Samael

Postby Samael » March 14th, 2012, 9:22 pm

If you enjoyed Trouble Shooter, it may be worth it to hunt down the sequel, which doesn't lack for enthusiasm and charm. Just don't expect to get it cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUhm_0m-zM

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » March 15th, 2012, 2:14 am

I agree with the Trouble Shooter review, that was a really fun rental, back then. A different type of shoot-em-up. I remember this game getting a perfect score from Gamepro(they did this way too often though). Vic Tokai put out some decent games in it's 8 and 16-bit heyday. I wish there was a "where are they now" type of website, who could track down and interview some of these more unknown, now-defunct Japanese(and other) programmers of that era.

What's up with the lame Sheen reference? Although I did get a good laugh out of this line, "Madison is the blonde who always faces forward, and Crystal is the brunette who always has her back."

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » March 15th, 2012, 8:12 am

Flashback review was "dead-on" for me. I remember being impressed with it, but quickly got frustrated with it. I also thought it was really really strange that you couldn't see the bullets. In fact it was a turn-off. I really liked the innovation of this game, but the frustration got the better of me. Now that I'm older & slightly more mature maybe I should give it another try.

Video E

Postby Video E » March 16th, 2012, 9:52 pm

What exactly does B.O.B. stand for?  The internet doesn't seem to know.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » March 17th, 2012, 1:49 pm

[QUOTE=Video E]What exactly does B.O.B. stand for?  The internet doesn't seem to know.[/QUOTE]

This very forum actually knew.

"Bug Outer space Bot", for the record.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » March 18th, 2012, 4:24 pm

I would check out the SNES version of B.O.B. it might look and play a little better.

crimefighter

Re: 2012/3/14: Genesis: B.O.B., Flashback, Trouble Shooter

Postby crimefighter » August 22nd, 2022, 9:51 pm

Trouble Shooter should get a money bag icon - Could never get a copy at a reasonable price even back in the day...and the cart fetches hundreds of dollars loose, the box by itself is over 100 bucks.

Hagane

Re: 2012/3/14: Genesis: B.O.B., Flashback, Trouble Shooter

Postby Hagane » August 22nd, 2022, 10:37 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote: B.O.B. is brand new.  I like this game.  Is the SNES version worth checking out too? 

I would say yes, it's basically the same game for both versions, but while on the Genesis version you have to pause the game everytime to change weapons and itens, on the SNES version however you can easily change weapons and itens on the fly with the shoulder buttons during the game, also the melee attack has its own exclusive button.

B.O.B. is a cool game actually, you have to use your weapons and itens very carefully or you will become stuck, but sadly the game becomes very repetitive after a while, I've stopped on stage 40 after realizing that I was only halfway throughout the game and it hasn't changed much.

Return to “Review Feedback”