2012/4/7: Sega Master System: Alex Kidd in High Tech World, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2012/4/7: Sega Master System: Alex Kidd in High Tech World, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 7th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Here are the remaining three Alex Kidd game reviews, as promised.

Comments are encouraged.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » April 7th, 2012, 2:03 pm

For the record, the reason Hi-Tech World plays so differently from the other games is because, like Super Mario Bros 2, it was originally a completely unrelated game ("Princess Sugar", based on the cartoon of the same name, which no one outside Japan have heard of) that got a paint job and changed into a "sequel" to a popular game despite playing nothing like it.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » April 7th, 2012, 3:02 pm

I've heard good stuff about Shinobi World,and I've heard High Tech World is kinda like what Super Mario Bros. 2 to the other Super Mario Bros. games,aka Dolled up.

It would make sense that things feel wonky,considering it wasn't supposed to be an Alex Kidd game,...or so I've heard.

Of course since you panned Miracle World,which I honestly find to be one of the few good Master System games,it's possible that I could hate Shinobi and enjoy High Tech

The only thing for sure is,I hate the Genny game.

DamonPlus1

Postby DamonPlus1 » April 8th, 2012, 5:59 am

More or less I agree with your reviews (as does most everyone else). 

Alex Kidd in High Tech World is amusing at first, being so different to everything you can play on your SMS. But it's true that is not as polished as it would've been. 

Alex Kidd in Lost Stars is not a bad game, but not a great one either. I find it enjoyable, that's all.

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is a classic. Music is amazing with some Shinobi rendition themes, control is good, and some ninja abilities are fun to use (mainly the pole-launcher, the double jump and the little spears you can use). The graphics convey the ninja-feel pretty well, and it even has secret areas and alternate paths. Some will find it a bit short, but for me it's the perfect lenght for short bursts of gaming (not that I wouldn't be happier with a couple more stages though).

ShadowAngel1

Postby ShadowAngel1 » April 8th, 2012, 8:57 am

The game is called Alex Kidd: The lost stars because Alex' mission is to recover all the zodiac signs that Ziggurat has stolen and what are Zodiac signs? STARS!
It's even explained on the back of the box

And also the naked dude doesn't 'fart' bubbles but blue skulls
Once again, it seems you never finished the game or else you would've mentioned a big flaw: The game only has 7 levels which are repeated for a second time

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 8th, 2012, 10:06 am

He didn't claim he had finished the game. He posts about three reviews a week, do you truly expect him to beat each and every one of these games in such a short
amount of time? In this instance, he doesn't even like the game that much, I feel safe saying he didn't beat it, but it's a non issue, unless you expect him to be 100% familiar with games he's reviewing. I don't.

porynog1

Postby porynog1 » April 8th, 2012, 5:43 pm

There's a rare fifth Alex Kidd SMS game called "Alex Kidd BMX Trial" that uses the rare SMS paddle controller. I think it's Japan only, I'm pretty sure.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 8th, 2012, 11:56 pm

He has said several times that he doesn't always complete the games he plays. I have never really found this an issue since he usually has pretty in depth views considering the condensed nature of his reviews.  His site is interesting because of his review style. Sometimes it helps to point out games that many other gamers have overlooked and others it is to call into question the hype around a certain game.

Anyway, I found these reviews helpful. The only two games I really had any interest in were Miracle and Shinobi World.

txsizzler1

Postby txsizzler1 » April 10th, 2012, 10:10 am

I agree with the review about High-Tech World. An atrocity to anyone who is an Alex Kidd fan. I have never played Shinobi World... need to check it out.

Return to “Review Feedback”