2012/7/8: Playstation: Bubsy 3D, Deathtrap Dungeon

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
scotland171

Postby scotland171 » March 24th, 2015, 9:48 am

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]Deathtrap Dungeon is originally a Ian Livingstone gamebook, and one of the best ones there is at that. Too bad the the video game translation doesn't live to its standards.[/QUOTE]

The Deathtrap Dungeon review did not get much attention because it was a double feature with a long awaited review of Busby 3D.   

I think the official title is "Ian Livingstone's Deathtrap Dungeon".  He and Steve Jackson (no relation to the Car Wars/Gurps Steve Jackson) created a series of Fighting Fantasy slash Sorcery! books. These basically took the Choose Your Own Adventure idea and married it to some dice slinging ... because they're if two things are good, putting them together must be the right thing to do.  To confuse you, there are both Car Wars game books, and Ian Livingstone did a Car Wars themed gamebook. 

If you've never read any of these, give them a go.  This particular book (and Warlock on Firetop Mountain) are quite a lot of fun.  It was published in 1984, so in that American Video Game Crash era, and pretty much the height of the Dungeons and Dragons craze.   You'll laugh, you'll cry, you die a thousand times.  Really.  I'm not sure about taxes, but death is for certain in these books. 

This particular book just totally dispenses for any real reason to do a dungeon crawl . At least offers an explanation for the untenable ecology of such places by saying "An Evil Baron did it" kind of thing.   I bet in Greyhawk there is company called "Evil Lair Support Staff" or "Dungeons R US" or something.

I don't think any of the other Fighting Fantasy books were made into games.  Or any of the many Choose Your Own Adventure or related series.

The company Eidos that made this (and Tomb Raider) is now part of Square Enix.

The game is available on Steam these days.  Would make a fun portable game, so maybe its on a Sony portable system.

This is one of the first Prima One Game Walkthrough Strategy Guides I ever bought.  I should say, I had Prima's Secrets of the Games books before, but they tended to cover lots of games in one book.  This was one of the first that was a single game walkthrough.

There should be an icon for 'Based on a Book' - there are for movies or tv, so book should have one.  There are several Hobbit games based on the book, and I'm sure there are other book based games.

The game has Dave's Arthur Award for Extreme Difficulty, an award that oddly is *not* associated with getting either good or bad scores.  Oh, those icon lists should be sortable now too.   Not sure if the Arthur Award is from the game design itself, or from the controls.

Dave mentions the digital controls are clunky.  That could be a thread right there, as it was not just the 'early polygon' look but that several of the consoles still had 2D controllers for quite some time.  Games like MechWarrior I found really suffer from lack of analog controller support.

Dave gave it a D+, but it definitely can scratch an itch for some D&D style fun.  Some of the monsters are wicked, such as a Circus theme monster clowns that will definitely freak out people who don't like clowns, giant spiders and even Bigby's Crushing Hand for those who know their Gygax. 

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 24th, 2015, 3:49 pm

I agree with you. It could use more polish, but it's not a total loss and deserves some credits
as a port of one of the best gamebooks ever!

Return to “Review Feedback”