How to break a game

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

How to break a game

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 9th, 2018, 8:33 pm

Have you ever found a way to, for good or bad, break a game? I haven't done this personally, but I was listening to a podcast where one of the hosts said they attacked the depressed knight in Dark Souls' firelink shrine. Since the knight is undead, and he's sitting right next to the bonfire, he respawned there every time the player died. And since character relations are permanent, and the player was still level one, he got stuck in a cycle of respawn, die, respawn, die, etc and had to start a new game to fix it, lol.

pacman000

Re: How to break a game

Postby pacman000 » May 10th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Pokemon has some glitches which can ruin your saved game. Saving in glitch city without a flying Pokemon will leave you stuck there.

And then there's ZZAZZ: https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ZZAZZ_glitch

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » May 23rd, 2018, 7:22 pm

1. Buy “Age of Empires: The Age of Kings” (DS).
2. Make sure your profile name is 3 characters or less.

BOOM! One less copy in existence.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » May 24th, 2018, 7:13 pm

I think that game renting idea on the switch is a good example of a game breaker.

Though for me it was changing the battle system in FF13 9 hours in. Game breaker.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » May 24th, 2018, 10:50 pm

A pretty infamous game break was on Donkey Kong Country 2:Diddy's Kong Quest, In Castle Crush, If you grabbed and then dropped and then grabbed the first rambi the rhino barrel and it broke you would suffer a lot of glitches ranging from you become badly pixelated bosses, not dying from being crushed by the ceiling, Becoming Klubba, and ending up destroying not just the game cart but also the SNES!

In Metroid Other M, In the desert world if you backtrack the door to the next part of the game would close..and never open again leaving you stuck and forcing Nintendo to re-release the game to allow people to continue as this glitch was causing so many returns of the game and that the Wii could not download patches for games.

Even Half-Life has an sound glitch which causes every sound including speech to become muted in Lamba Core, This glitch I only just found out about after updating on the latest steam release.. It goes to show even old games or games that we think are untouchable can still break.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 24th, 2018, 11:43 pm

TheBlondeGamePunk3 wrote:If you grabbed and then dropped and then grabbed the first rambi the rhino barrel...

Are you sure that's how it works? The only time animals come out of barrels is when you jump into them, and you can't pick those up. Otherwise they're inside crates you jump on top of, and you can't pick those up either.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 25th, 2018, 2:29 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Are you sure that's how it works? The only time animals come out of barrels is when you jump into them, and you can't pick those up. Otherwise they're inside crates you jump on top of, and you can't pick those up either.

It's a two-part glitch. You trigger it with a normal DK barrel, but if you throw the disappeared "barrel" at the Rambi barrel and enter that one, you turn into a random broken sprite.

Also, this does not affect the SNES itself, and while the cartridge can become unusable, replacing the batteries will reset the corrupted data.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 25th, 2018, 10:48 am

It's been a long time (so I'm a little fuzzy with specifics) but I remember accidentally breaking Crystalis for the NES.

I was in the final fortress on Earth (of course you end up going to space for the finale) and I beat a mini-boss. This caused a hole in the floor to open up. I'd already beaten the game before and I wanted to be prepared for what was next so I left the fortress, went back to the nearby town (Sahara) to stock up, saved my game, returned to the fortress...and the hole's gone. I go in and out of the fortress a few more times and search everything to make sure I wasn't making a mistake but I have absolutely nowhere to go to continue the story. This is hours and hours into a difficult game and I'd just made it impossible to complete by being too smart for my own good.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » May 25th, 2018, 2:18 pm

In Legend of Zelda Link’s Awakening I did the trade quest and after it was done I went and re-bought the shovel. It turns out that means you don’t have enough space in your inventory for the last dungeon item and the game becomes unbeatable (as far as I could tell). It was really frustrating because I was so far in the game; I haven’t revisited it since.

SecretS

Postby SecretS » May 29th, 2018, 11:09 am

pacman000 wrote:Pokemon has some glitches which can ruin your saved game. Saving in glitch city without a flying Pokemon will leave you stuck there.

And then there's ZZAZZ: https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/SecretS/ZZAZZ_glitch

I once lost all the saved progress((

Return to “Video Games General”