whats an amiga?

General and high profile video game topics.
sega saturn x

whats an amiga?

Postby sega saturn x » September 1st, 2004, 6:22 pm

What is an amiga? I saw something called the amiga 32 on ebay what is it?

mappy mouse pd

whats an amiga?

Postby mappy mouse pd » September 1st, 2004, 6:46 pm

The Amiga32 was a console version of the popular Amiga line of computers. It was fairly popular in the UK, but wasn't released in the states.

Michael Danehy

whats an amiga?

Postby Michael Danehy » September 1st, 2004, 8:48 pm

Hmm, I wonder why it wasn't released in the states. What's the power of the Amiga compared with Genesis and Turbografx?

sega saturn x

whats an amiga?

Postby sega saturn x » September 2nd, 2004, 1:01 am

I think its 32 bit so it was never made in the u.s? That must be why i cant find any on ebay.

chickenwarrior1

whats an amiga?

Postby chickenwarrior1 » September 2nd, 2004, 1:33 am

I thought you said you just saw one on eBay.

Alienblue

whats an amiga?

Postby Alienblue » September 2nd, 2004, 8:49 am

Ah the Amiga 500..that was my favorite PC of all time.
It basically had the same power as the Genesis exceptthe games looked better on the monitor, of course. Lots of genny games ( shadow of the beast, killing game, etc..) started
life on the amiga and were ported directly to the genny.
Then sega made lots of THEIR games (shinobi, outrun) for
the amiga.

I think it was the best game playing computer ever, and
was sorry to have to sell it (so I could get my iMac).
How I miss those games!

ACD32 is just a 500 with a cd rom. Most of the floppy
games are as good if not better.

Anayo1

whats an amiga?

Postby Anayo1 » September 2nd, 2004, 8:14 pm

The floppies would still work? I thought floppy discs lasted a year, tops.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

whats an amiga?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2004, 9:35 pm

[QUOTE=Anayo]The floppies would still work? I thought floppy discs lasted a year, tops.[/QUOTE]

Funny you should bring this up. When I was buying 5 1/4" floppy disks for my Atari XL computer in 1983, I remember hearing about how they probably wouldn't be able to hold their data for more than a few years. But how would anybody know?

Well, just a year or two ago I acquired an Atari XEGS console, which plays all old Atari 8-bit software. I bought a 1050 floopy disk drive and purchased some old floppy disk games going on 20 years old. Needless to say, they worked like a charm. Not only did they read fine, but I could write to them to save my game with no problem.

For all we know, these things might last forever. Maybe longer than CDs!

Dave

Paul Campbell

whats an amiga?

Postby Paul Campbell » September 2nd, 2004, 10:52 pm

Agreed. My Commodore 64 games are over 20 years old and have fewer problems than my Playstation disks, that's for dang sure. The Amiga computers were WAY ahead of their time. The graphics for Terminator 2 were done on an Amiga (prolly more advanced than the 500, though, maybe a 2000 or something). They were graphics MONSTERS in the day. The games it shares with the Genny are definitely sharper looking, but the Genny controller tops anything I've seen for the Amiga.

Emu Dan

whats an amiga?

Postby Emu Dan » September 10th, 2004, 8:20 am

A good friend of mine who is a huge commodore freak got an Amiga CD32 around 8 years ago. He might still have it tucked away somewhere. Anyway, it is actually a console version of the 32-bit Amiga 1200, not the 500 (which was really only 16-bit like the Genesis). It had a top-loading CD-rom drive (either single or double speed, not sure which), and overall was probably as powerful as the 3DO. The cool thing was that you could hook up a keyboard, floppy drives and even put in a 2.5" hard drive to boot Amiga's workbench OS and turn it into an Amiga computer.

Return to “Video Games General”