Bug and Clown icons

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Bug and Clown icons

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 2nd, 2013, 8:12 pm

In another thread Mark came up with a pretty nifty bug icon.  Maybe you guys can provide me with some games that are especially buggy?

Also, since clowns are so creepy I'm thinking about incorporating a "Warning: may contain clowns" icon.  What do you think?

Rev1

Bug and Clown icons

Postby Rev1 » January 2nd, 2013, 8:18 pm

I agree that clowns are creepy so that would be really funny. I can't think of any games off the top of my head that have scary clowns in it. What is the icon for buggy games? An actual bug?

soporj1

Bug and Clown icons

Postby soporj1 » January 2nd, 2013, 10:02 pm

Impossible Mission has one of the most notorious bugs ever...you can't even finish the game!

snakeboy1

Bug and Clown icons

Postby snakeboy1 » January 2nd, 2013, 11:54 pm

[QUOTE=soporj]Impossible Mission has one of the most notorious bugs ever...you can't even finish the game![/QUOTE]

Well, the name is certainly appropriate. (Hardy har har)

Marriott_Guy1

Bug and Clown icons

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » January 3rd, 2013, 8:43 am

Designating a game as 'buggy' might open up a can of worms.  Unlike most other icons, an explanation would be sought after for why the game merited this particular 'title'.  'May contain Pirates' is one thing, but when you start to designate that a game is flawed I believe the reader will want to know the exact details.  This in turn may necessitate amending many reviews that may earn the 'buggy' icon to include these details.  Does one consider screen tears as buggy or just game-breaking errors?  This may be too subjective of an area to really try and coral.   

Another thing to consider would be the fact that many games now are multi-platform and that a game may be completely stable on one system and buggy as hell on another.  Since you typically review just one version, this may insinuate that the game in general is buggy across all consoles.  A good example of this would be Skyrim (360 +, PS3 -).

Just a few thoughts to chew on.

Irenicus1

Bug and Clown icons

Postby Irenicus1 » January 3rd, 2013, 11:16 am

Good points Marriott Guy. That does sound like a lot of necessary work.

Fallout 3 & Fallout New Vegas are notoriously known to have a lot of bugs, but I've played over 100 hours on each & the bugs were minor, no big deal stuff. Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition, however, is awful! Game freezes up all the time. Game saves don't load. Animation sporadically jumps.

Technically you could use a "bug icon" for both Fallout New Vegas & Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition, but the severity of said bugs is soo drastic that it may not be fair or appropriate.

Another thing with bugs is that it can be random & not across the board for every player. I've read on forums players swearing that Fallout 3 (Xbox 360) was so buggy that it was game-breaking & ruined the game for them. For me personally I've played over 100 hours & the bugs were really minimal.  

While I'm at it I want to give a shout out that.....

Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition (Xbox 360) really really SUX!

Huge disapointment due to bugs. Fallout New Vegas was great, but the Ultimate Edition, which I would expect to be better, is actually much much worse.

Edward1

Bug and Clown icons

Postby Edward1 » January 3rd, 2013, 12:46 pm

Games I can think of that are buggy (Don't know which of these you reviewed, just going off the top of my head)

Superman 64 (The game is kind of one entire glitch)
Space Station silicon valley (supposedly has a bug that makes it so you cannot complete the game)
Skyrim for PS3 only
Assassin's Creed 3  (still an awesome game though)
Super Mario 64 (Strange glitch where you can fly through the castle and go into bizaro world and many more glitches, My favorite game of all time though)
Fallout new Vegas
Frogger for PS1 (could just be bad game design though)
Bubsy 3d for PS 1
Mortal Kombat Gold for Dreamcast (Supposedly the first printing of this game had a ton of bugs)
WWF No Mercy for N64 (it would randomly erase your save file, its a shame because this is the greatest wrestling game ever made)
Batman forever (again this may just be poor game design, but i'd consider not being able to play the game to be a huge glitch)
Custer's Revenge (those arrows will hit you from 2 feet away, horrible game for other reasons though)
Goldeneye (Another awesome game, but who can forget the glitch of enemies arms going through doors?)
Grand theft auto series (Every game in this series has a ton of glitches.  However, its understandable given the insane scope of these games)
Gears of War (sometimes the chainsaw animation is completely off and your character chainsaws the air two feet away from the enemy, and the enemy still gets mutilated.  Very funny)
Every 3d sonic game (These games are all full of glitches, even the good ones)
Super Mario Bros (The negative world)
Legend ofZelda Link's Awakening for game boy (It is possible to get stuck in a point in this game where you cant complete the game)
Skyward Swrod (Has a game breaking glitch if you talk to a character during a certain mission, making it so you cant beat the game.  Details here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_DFrJNaNnU&feature=player_embedded#!)

NAC1

Bug and Clown icons

Postby NAC1 » January 3rd, 2013, 4:02 pm

[QUOTE]Skyward Sword (Has a game breaking glitch if you talk to a character during a certain mission, making it so you cant beat the game.[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty bad glitch! I feel fortunate for having done the Thunder Dragon last!

As for the clown icon, would the Joker from Batman: Arkam Asylum count?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Bug and Clown icons

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 3rd, 2013, 5:03 pm

I agree that the bug icon could open a car of worms.  I think I would use it very sparingly for games where I've seen blatant bugs first-hand (Terminator for the Genesis) and games that have a reputation for bugs (Fallout Vegas, Mission Impossible).

Minor and obscure things like screen tears and frame rate glitches wouldn't count.

scotland171

Bug and Clown icons

Postby scotland171 » January 5th, 2013, 6:58 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I agree that the bug icon could open a car of worms.  I think I would use it very sparingly for games where I've seen blatant bugs first-hand (Terminator for the Genesis) and games that have a reputation for bugs (Fallout Vegas, Mission Impossible).
[/QUOTE]

The buggy one is Impossible Mission rather than Mission Impossible - and its only Impossible Mission on the Atari 7800.  The Sega Master System version (and the lovely C64 version) are most excellent games.

-Jeff

Return to “Video Games General”