Most Fun System to Collect For?

General and high profile video game topics.
Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » April 30th, 2013, 12:29 am

NES. I can find a lot of games that I can play 30 minutes or less and enjoy. I love the 16 bit era & still can't wait to get a Turbo Grafyx 16 as well.

As a general rule I enjoy collecting cartridges over CDs.

a1

Postby a1 » April 30th, 2013, 1:11 am

[QUOTE=Wallyworld]

Oh and stay away from the Model 3. It's the worst and it's not compatible with Sega CD.

[/QUOTE]

Also not compatible with a couple games (Virtua Racer, Gargoyles, and Game Genie are the ones I know). But it is reliable, and if you want a compact system and have no intention of getting a Sega CD or having those games it's a decent choice. I've owned all 3 models and the only one that ever broke was the model 2. The model 1 is my preference based on its compatibility with all games and accessories (the Power Base Converter for master system game also fits snugly on), and its reliability.

a1

Postby a1 » April 30th, 2013, 1:19 am

Sorry, I added to the derailing of the thread. I think the NES and the Genesis are both great for collecting. Even the first party Nintendo games don't go for too much on NES (if you don't care about boxes). Genesis has so many great games for just $5. Super Nintendo and N64 have lots of great games, but the quality ones are a bit more expensive. Atari 2600 is easy to collect for as well; you can get many games for under $5.

For disc based systems, I find the PS2 has a lot of quality exclusives that don't cost much at all anymore. Gamecube has lots of classics, but the first party games still cost a bit. Xbox is my go to for 3rd party games from that generation, with gamecube as my second choice. Because of that I have the most Xbox games from that generation, but find I would rather have my PS2 or Gamecube collection if I have to choose.

And of course I can't forget Saturn and Dreamcast. I don't like collecting for Saturn because the prices recently blew up online, and the cases are crap. Dreamcast has lots of great games for not too much, but the prices have been rising for some of those as well.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 30th, 2013, 10:11 am

I agree with others that the Genesis is a great system to collect for.  It has such a diverse library and some truly unique games.  It's probably my favorite system of all time because of this.  Also like others have mentioned, finding complete games is much easier and usually doesn't cost a fortune.  

Favorite unknown game that I bought - Elemental Master 

When I first got a Saturn that system was tremendously fun to collect games for.  However, you really need an Action Replay and the willingness to get some imports to make the system truly shine.  I love those elongated plastic cases, but I'm always afraid they're gonna shatter!

Favorite unknown game that I bought - In the Hunt

A close second behind the Genesis is probably the Dreamcast.  The library is just chalk full of awesome arcade style games that kick ass.  You don't have to spend alot of money to get your hands on some really fun games.  Also it's nice that the games are just in regular CD cases...sure sometimes they break, but they don't take up a ton of room on a shelf either.  

Favorite unknown game that I bought - Power Stone

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » April 30th, 2013, 11:18 am

Now is the perfect time to collect for the PS2. The systems life just ended, and game stores are disposing of their games. I've been scoring PS2 games for about $2-$10. Alot of hidden Gems that may be worth alot in the future. With such cheap prices now, alot of people have easily amassed collections of over 100 games. Over 300 and counting here.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 30th, 2013, 6:06 pm

[QUOTE=a]
And of course I can't forget Saturn and Dreamcast. I don't like collecting for Saturn because the prices recently blew up online, and the cases are crap. Dreamcast has lots of great games for not too much, but the prices have been rising for some of those as well.[/QUOTE]

It really depends on the game because some have started rising while others have dropped drastically. I picked up Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for $15 online, compared to its old asking price it has dropped by quite a bit. It's mostly the games that were done best (or at all) on the Dreamcast that have gone up in price. Quite a few of the games that have been ported a thousand times have dropped by quite a bit, making collecting certain titles much easier then before.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » April 30th, 2013, 10:17 pm

My votes go to the N64 and Game Boy Advance. Most of the titles I collect for both have very good condition and the gameplay holds up surprisingly well for both.

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » April 30th, 2013, 10:34 pm

I have to agree with steephen. Ps2 and Xbox games are dirt cheap right now. They also are all I tend to find at thrift stores and garage sales,for the most part. Even on ebay they are unbelievably cheap for most titles. I won Crimson Skies yesterday, and I paid $3.07 delivered. Everybody sees the last Gen system as dated,but not yet nostalgic or classic. I've been collecting for 15 years and its like this every generation. 10-12 years ago people were giving away ps1 games, and right now they are getting pretty pricey.

I will agree with the masses regarding Genesis. The games are usually complete,they are durable,and the best part is they are cheap. My local video game shop guru told me that genesis games are cheaper in the northern states today because the initial marketing in the 90's did not target the north as much,and therefore doesn't have the following today. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » May 2nd, 2013, 12:10 am

[QUOTE=Burk] I have to agree with steephen. Ps2 and Xbox games are dirt cheap right now. They also are all I tend to find at thrift stores and garage sales,for the most part. Even on ebay they are unbelievably cheap for most titles. I won Crimson Skies yesterday, and I paid $3.07 delivered. Everybody sees the last Gen system as dated,but not yet nostalgic or classic. I've been collecting for 15 years and its like this every generation. 10-12 years ago people were giving away ps1 games, and right now they are getting pretty pricey. I will agree with the masses regarding Genesis. The games are usually complete,they are durable,and the best part is they are cheap. My local video game shop guru told me that genesis games are cheaper in the northern states today because the initial marketing in the 90's did not target the north as much,and therefore doesn't have the following today. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?[/QUOTE]

That's an excellent tip for collectors about original Xbox games. There is over 900 games released for the system and "most" are very inexpensive right now. I am trying to make a complete set of all Xbox games since they are so affordable right now. I believe in 5-10 years time this system will be very collected (and valuable) as it had the best gfx and some of the best games of it's generation.

The north and south thing about the Genesis sounds a lot like BS to me. I lived in the North growing up and remember be bombarded with Genesis does what Nintendont commercials.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » May 2nd, 2013, 12:21 am

My favorite to collect for is the NES.  I like systems with lots of lesser known gems and the NES seems to have an infinite supply.  Also, if you're into importing, there are a lot of great Famicom games that never made it to the U.S. 

Also like collecting for the Atari 2600 a lot, particularly because there are a lot of fun things to collect beyond the actual games.  Most systems I'm happy just having the standard first-party controller, but the 2600 has a ton of great third-party joysticks, many of which I find preferable to the stock Atari one.  Also, if you like collecting systems, the 2600 had many iterations.  Atari alone came out with about 5 or so variations, and then there are the consoles made by Sears and Coleco.

And here's another system that I find it fun to collect for:  the Wii.  I like the fact that the Wii and its games are different from every other system.  And I've found plenty of little gems in the Wii library, and many of them are now dirt cheap.

Return to “Video Games General”