Retron 5 Console

General and high profile video game topics.
Leo1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Leo1 » May 14th, 2013, 3:10 pm

This is emulation based. So if anyone is expecting something approaching 100% accuracy here in a ~$100 device, you can forget about this right now. 

But if you want to play the occasional classic game, have a superior experience on a modern television, or want to consolidate systems to save space and are willing to accept a few drawbacks for the benefits offered  this might be for you. But it's not going to be a true 1:1 replacement for a Nintendo, Famicom, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Super Game Boy, and Game Boy Player. 

There is a hardware based clone with standard definition composite/S-Video output coming out as well from the makers of the Retro Duo called the Retro Trio. Has NES, Super Nintendo & Sega Genesis support. And via an adapter, it has Game Boy Advance support (Unclear on the status of GB/GBC support). For someone wanting a closer experience to the original while consolidating systems on their CRT, this one might be it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Retron 5 Console

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 14th, 2013, 5:44 pm

I'm cautious but hopeful.  I realize the emulation will not be 100%, but if it's 99%, that might be good enough.  I like the idea of being able to play my classic games on an HD television.

What I really like is how it support the original cartridges and controllers.  In theory this is a collector's dream.  I don't expect to use the included controller.

Hopefully it won't turn out like that Neo Geo X system which was underwhelming at best.

ActRaiser1

Retron 5 Console

Postby ActRaiser1 » May 15th, 2013, 8:48 am

Nice find.

I know this will sound bad, but I'm hoping the Ouya will work out nicely as a living room MAME player for roms.  

I would get killed if I hooked up all my classic systems up stairs but am thinking a single system (or two) would work.  

It's the same price as this this system although Retron 5 could work just as well (minus support for other consoles).

Oltobaz1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 15th, 2013, 11:56 am

I'll certainly watch out for reviews when this thing comes out. As cool as it sounds, it's ultimately a clone, and clones are almost always flawed. We'll see.

Pacman0001

Retron 5 Console

Postby Pacman0001 » May 15th, 2013, 7:41 pm

It's a nice idea.  If you tried to track down all those systems, you'd probably wind up paying more than $100.  

Burk1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Burk1 » May 15th, 2013, 10:14 pm

I can't wait. The option to save games opens up a whole new world to me. I simply don't have the time anymore to play through the older games with no save features. This will allow me to get to some games I have been putting of for years. That is worth the price alone,and cleans up the clutter of multiple systems.However, I'll believe the claim of 100% comparability when I see it.

Sut1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Sut1 » May 16th, 2013, 11:48 am

Just as a matter of interest how does the system save states if your using the old original cartridges ?
Presumably I could swap between SNES and Genesis cartridges and each game would have a save slot ?
I'm curious how this works.

Leo1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Leo1 » May 16th, 2013, 1:10 pm

It's emulation so they work just like they would with any other emulator. There's no significance where the original code is residing. Be it on an original cartridge or a digital extraction of it, it's the same either way for an emulator.

And yes, you can create a save state for any compatible game. And if you're curious where they're stored, this has a SD slot. So presumably they will be reside on SD memory. It also has a USB port but apparently it's only used for charging the wireless controller and can't actually read anything plugged into it (So no thumb drives).

Sut1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Sut1 » May 16th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Thanks Leo, will watch the development of this console with interest.

Wallyworld1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Wallyworld1 » June 12th, 2013, 1:21 pm

I know not many people are talking about due to the PS4 and Xbox One but Retron 5 was at E3. Retron 5 looks like a big black toaster with 5 slots on top and is flanked with tons of controller ports around the sides. They say they are shooting for 100% compatibility. Oh yeah and Price should be under $100!

Here is a video of Pat the NES Punks first look at the Retron 5 at E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFsf0hmaeXs

I'm pretty excited about getting one of these. I have all the consoles already but this would make it easy to play my games while not in my game room.

I also want to see how these games look in HD.

Return to “Video Games General”