Retron 5 Console

General and high profile video game topics.
Leo1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Leo1 » June 12th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Sounds like it's an Android based platform which has some people excited since apparently homebrew emulation for the involved systems on there works very well for the most part.

Not sure what that means though for the Retron 5. I suppose if they're open source that they could borrow those existing emulators as long as there's no limitations that prohibit them from being sold. But if they're programming their emulators from scratch, it means relatively little how nice emulators from other sources perform besides showing that it can be done.

Chaser1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Chaser1 » June 13th, 2013, 10:35 am

I'm more excited for the Retron 5 than I have been for any system in years. If they can nail down the compatibility, I'm buying one of these at launch. Currently I use a modded original Xbox to emulate older systems and it works great, but you have to use Xbox controllers. I would love to have the same emulation quality combined with the ability to use original controllers. I certainly have my fingers crossed!

Irenicus1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Irenicus1 » June 13th, 2013, 1:49 pm

I'm keeping my eyes on this. If I read some good reviews I'll buy one.

BenJammin1

Retron 5 Console

Postby BenJammin1 » April 9th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Very excited at the prospect of not having to wire up all those retro consoles. 

Maybe I’m being greedy, but I also wish they'd included Atari 2600 and 5200 slot and am confused as to why there is no direct Master System slot.

Once the patent on the N64 runs out next year, I expect they'll look to include that slot on a future machine, like a Retron 6, so I may wait till then. 

Also hoping the system is compatible with the 32X, the Mega-CD and some special/rare chipsets like the Super FX chip, the Sega DSP/SVP, or even the oddball one from NES Castlevania III.

Weekend_Warrior1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » April 10th, 2014, 3:57 am

@ BenJammin 

The Sega Power Base Converter will work on the Retron 5. There was confirmation from Hyperkin a bit ago on that 

Oltobaz1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 10th, 2014, 4:24 am

While it's supposed to be compatible with each and every Genesis/SNES/NES/GB/GBC/GBA cart out there, it will not work with the Mega CD
and 32X in any way. Castlevania 3 is said to be compatible, as shown in some demonstration videos a while back. The MS compatibility through Power Base converter was included as a last minute change,due to popular demand. The system has been delayed so much though it's kinda embarrassing: as of right now, it's supposed to come out this month, even though there's no solid release date at this time.

Greisha1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Greisha1 » April 10th, 2014, 1:11 pm

I was really excited about this thing months ago, like "Hey wifey, get me this for Christmas" excited.

Now I'm like: "Oh yeah, that thing." Whoops.

scotland171

Retron 5 Console

Postby scotland171 » November 25th, 2014, 6:40 am

[QUOTE=Leo]Sounds like it's an Android based platform...Not sure what that means though for the Retron 5. I suppose if they're open source that they could borrow those existing emulators as long as there's no limitations that prohibit them from being sold. But if they're programming their emulators from scratch, it means relatively little how nice emulators from other sources perform besides showing that it can be done.[/QUOTE]

There are half a dozen Retron 5 threads now, but I chose tnis one because of Mister Leo's comment.

This is a $150 android emulation system with hdmi out. It can use original tethered controllers or its own wireless controller that some reviewers dislike. Its niche is it plays carts to avoid rom piracy issues.

Yet there are legal issues, in that the company is using open source or not for commercial use emulators for their own profit or restricting the open source policies.

Sounds like a form of piracy to me. They stole what other people made.

Maybe its a temporary setback, but it should factor into the company reputation. Changing things later when you get pushback, like Microsoft, does not erase what has happened.

Also, if its just publicly available emulation, why give hyperkin your money? Other product, possibly whatever you are reading this on now, can emulate games. Many have ways to output to a tv, or use original controllers. If you own the carts too, then rights wise is arguably no different than the retron 5 ripping the rom...cause owning a cart is not necessarily the right to play the game in another format.

I love my retron 3, and I was excited by this product. Yet the legal issues matter. Thats is software emulation, which I can do in other ways, matters. That its claim is to be more legal than emulation, but ripping a rom is not legally the same as playing from the cart chip.

It matters.

Tron1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Tron1 » November 25th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Interesting stuff Scotland. I agree w/ your point of how "it matters". What I'm not sure about is the integrity of their brand name. I don't know who makes the Retron 5. Does anyone really care? I mean if Nintendo were pulling a stunt like this it would be all over the internet, but these guys aren't Nintendo. My understanding is that they are some start-up company trying to make a fast buck & won't be around very long anyways. They tried to be sneaky & got caught so they'll make a pay-out or just go bankrupt & start over with a new name.

Oltobaz1

Retron 5 Console

Postby Oltobaz1 » November 26th, 2014, 2:09 am

That's the reason why you should snatch one now (your post in the other Retron 5). They might have
to face some serious problems some of these days, not sure what the future holds in store for them.

Return to “Video Games General”