Support the Wii U

General and high profile video game topics.
Gilly1

Support the Wii U

Postby Gilly1 » May 26th, 2013, 5:25 pm

I guess I'm the only one that is intrigued by the Xbox One, and still not finding a good reason to purchase a Wii U.

Shogun1

Support the Wii U

Postby Shogun1 » May 26th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Nobody is going to support Nintendo. Third parties won't support Nintendo, they want Nintendo out of business plus people don't want to buy third party games on the console like you Critic so maybe I understand why there has never been much third party support since the N64. The only way Nintendo will sell consoles is if they keep going the direction they were going with the Wii. Hardcore gamers won't support Nintendo so might as well go with the expanded audience that supported Nintendo with the Wii. The only way I support Nintendo is if they make more 2D games or games with an arcade pick-up-and-play style like Wii Sports. No more 3D cinematic crap. Skyward Sword was a joke. Metroid: Other M was a disgrace. They put more time and effort with 3D Mario but just recycle the graphics and music and content for the New Super Mario Bros. series. If Nintendo changes and starts going back to classic Nintendo then I'll support Nintendo but they are not going to trick me by having me pay $400 to buy a console so I can play 2D Mario. I'll just be content with the Wii where I have bought all the 2D Mario games on the Virtual Console and Wii for way way cheaper than $400.

Rev1

Support the Wii U

Postby Rev1 » May 26th, 2013, 7:01 pm

hardcore gamers have time and again supported Nintendo, they always will as long as there is a new Zelda or Mario on the way. By hardcore gamer, I think you are referring to the 360 or PS3 soloists. But hardcore gamers will eventually pick up a Wii U whether it flops or not. And Nintendo isn't going to get lucky twice with the same crowd that bought the Wii originally (or at least not a lot of them). They bought their console for the decade and probably won't buy another one in a long time.

darkrage61

Support the Wii U

Postby darkrage61 » May 26th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Gilly-I'm intrigued by the X-One as well, but it's unlikely i'll be getting one this year, i'm gonna wait awhile, at least until they stop making games for the 360, before I consider getting an X-One.

Algus1

Support the Wii U

Postby Algus1 » May 26th, 2013, 9:27 pm

I picked a Wii U up today and honestly it was only really because of all the bad news coming out of Microsoft's camp about the Xbone.  I'm actually pretty glad I picked it up.  The tablet controller is a lot easier to use then I expected and while I'm not overly enthusiastic about Nintendo Land (the games are fun but why do I have a $350 console hooked up to a giant HDTV if I'm staring at a tablet screen?), New Super Mario Bros U is pretty darn fun.   I just finished up running the Wii transfer so I've got all my old virtual console games...those will have to keep me entertained until more stuff is rereleased on the Wii U storefront.   

The Pro controller is an instant hit with me but I find it annoying that it is so incompatible.  I love selecting something from the firmware with it, only to have the controller auto shut off in the app or game because it isn't supported.  The tablet is a little bulky for some of the games too.    Still, there is a lot of potential there.  I'm already salivating about bringing the tablet out into the family room and being able to play my games without being cooped up in my game room all the time.   

The library is weak though.  I hadn't really followed the Wii U but I figured after about six months the software situation would be looking pretty good.  There's some stuff on the horizon that looks good but I think the only other game I really want right now is Lego City Undercover.  I'm also somewhat miffed that we're apparently waiting until the end of the year for Earthbound.   

Leo1

Support the Wii U

Postby Leo1 » May 26th, 2013, 11:12 pm

[QUOTE=Shogun]so maybe I understand why there has never been much third party support since the N64.[/QUOTE]

The Nintendo 64 stunk in that regard too.

Really the only time a Nintendo console since the Super Nintendo was receiving excellent third party support were about two years of the GameCube's lifespan. During its first couple of years it typically would receive a multiplatform game if both the Playstation 2 and Xbox also got it. And it even saw a fair share of exclusive output from 3rd parties before things started to fizzle out by 2004. 

You could've fared pretty well with just a GameCube during that time. But otherwise it has been a barren and frustrating experience for Nintendo console owners where 3rd party content is concerned for nearly 20 years now with just the occasional excellent port of a game also available on the competition, the occasional exclusive of note from a 3rd party, watered down or lazy ports that often arrived significantly later, or more often than not nothing. 

Captain_Crunch1

Support the Wii U

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » May 28th, 2013, 3:14 am

If some titles I'm excited about (Game & Wario, Sonic Lost World, Bayonetta 2) will turn out to be good and not just 'meh' (like Scribblenauts) I will get one... if not, I pass...

Rev1

Support the Wii U

Postby Rev1 » May 28th, 2013, 7:43 pm

It doesn't even matter what other games are showing up for the system, when Super Smash Bros Whatever comes out for the system I'll be picking it up on day 1.

Return to “Video Games General”