Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 25th, 2013, 8:16 pm

I've been perusing some of the Ouya console reviews, and the system isn't exactly setting the world on fire.  This one from PC Magazine is fairly representative.

scotland171

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby scotland171 » June 25th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Well, maybe another Android product in the months and years to come will tap into the 'lots of potential' without all the 'mediocre' this and 'middling' that.

Limited graphical capabilities at the $100 price point is unavoidable, but in this case, the poor quality controller of the Ouya seems a mortal wound. Better to fix the compatibility with other higher quality blue tooth controllers and just sell the base Ouya sans controller at a lower price point.   Its also of note that in the comments to the PC Magazine article is a similar debate as to whether any cheap android platform is unworthy. 

Maybe the less expensive Gamestick will do better.  Here is a review http://www.t3.com/reviews/gamestick-review.  

Burk1

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby Burk1 » June 25th, 2013, 9:12 pm

It actually looks like it could be interesting,if properly executed. My guess is this is a stepping stone and we will see more devises like this. Hmmm maybe I should buy a bunch of these and keep them for 20 years,and they will be worth a fortune as the grandfather of the app console.

Pacman0001

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby Pacman0001 » June 26th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Ah, too bad.  Perhaps after more development...

This comment on PC Magazine's article caught my eye:
[QUOTE]5) OUYA claimed to have shipped every console last month, but in an update today, they explained that they HADN'T shipped everything and that they had just given the consoles over to DHL who they are no blaming for the delays. [/QUOTE]
Technically, they had shipped the systems by giving them to DHL.  When the systems were given to DHL, OUYA was no longer responsible for them, ownership had transfered to the consumer, who could buy insurance for the shipment.  Now if OUYA said that they'd deliver the systems, they would be responsible.  See?  Word choices make a BIG difference in contracts. 

scotland171

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby scotland171 » June 26th, 2013, 6:10 pm

To avoid being labeled, I am not predicting the United States of Ouya or anything when I mention the following: On launch day, the AP, as reported in Time magazine http://techland.time.com/2013/06/26/ouya-console-goes-on-sale-quickly-sells-out-at-amazon-and-target/ is reporting the Ouya selling out at two retailers.  It would be better if that comment had included how many units 'selling out' means though.  Is that a few thousand, or tens of thousands?

Its also interesting in that an analyst for Gartner, an IT research and advisory company, gave a different measure of 'success' for the Ouya beyond units sold but - "  the amount of money game developers make and whether there is a steady stream of new games for the device..[and] the big-name video game brands such as Activision and Electronic Arts supporting Ouya. "

chrisbid1

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby chrisbid1 » June 27th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Software sells consoles, if the Ouya is going to break into the bigtime, it will need a new game that people want to play.  Lagre screen versions of popular cell phone games probably wont cut it.

Rev1

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby Rev1 » June 27th, 2013, 7:38 pm

[QUOTE=chrisbid]Software sells consoles, if the Ouya is going to break into the bigtime, it will need a new game that people want to play.  Lagre screen versions of popular cell phone games probably wont cut it.[/QUOTE]

I dunno... I think the price point for an item like this is pretty spot on and I believe that if they fix some of the design issues they could really help get the word out on this item. Strong software couldn't hurt in any possible way though.

Segatarious1

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby Segatarious1 » June 27th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Here is the 'Ouya problem' - Ouya does not represent the success of cheap download only games, it is attempting to tack on to that success.

Where is the appeal of buying a junky looking console with a 3rd rate controller? $99 or not, who's going to buy it?

Women ALL want tablets, they would not touch that.  Casuals do not care about Ouya, they can those games on their smart phones and etc. Hardcores want an Xbone One so they can pay to play online shooters all day. Others buying Sony or Nintendo are doing it for the exclusive games.

That leaves Rom Pirates who want to trade their pirate hacked handhelds or PC pirated games for a console pirate box. In the end, they will be a thin group, I suspect. Ouya knows this - they post pictures of Super Mario One in promotions so the buyer knows they can steal games day one for this box. That's there killer app - pay $100 so you can steal your old NES games and play them on your HDTV for free.

Astrosmasher1

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 29th, 2013, 8:20 am

It is an interesting idea.  I just do not thing that the games really merit a console.  After all you can play them on your phone for free.  I would assume if people like it, it will gain momentum.  If not it is Memotech time.

Astrosmasher1

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby Astrosmasher1 » July 1st, 2013, 6:11 am

though it has to be said I still want one.

Return to “Video Games General”